Sponsored by:

My 3.6 to 4.0 Project

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 12:25 PM
white out
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AWDGuy
I have emails here from LNE saying the ECU will handle the change in displacement and I won't require mods to my heads/cams for this up in displacement.
Definitely get a tune with the 4.0, take advantage of the extra displacement.

While they may not be needed, adding bigger cams and porting the heads is easier to do while the engine is apart. They are those "while you're in there" type upgrades . . . and how my STi's blown ringland turned into $10k+ engine build.
Old 07-31-2015, 12:26 PM
Chiamac
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by white out
While they may not be needed, adding bigger cams and porting the heads is easier to do while the engine is apart. They are those "while you're in there" type upgrades . . . and how my STi's blown ringland turned into $10k+ engine build.

Well, and it's not only well you're in there but the bigger displacement may/will demand it. Maybe it's my hangover but wouldn't running a shot of nitrous also take advantage of that extra space?
Old 07-31-2015, 01:02 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I got a feeling that it 's gotten a whole lot more expensive for AWDGuy. I hope he's able to keep and enjoy the car for many years after it's running again.
Old 07-31-2015, 01:14 PM
Chiamac
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by alpine003
I got a feeling that it 's gotten a whole lot more expensive for AWDGuy. I hope he's able to keep and enjoy the car for many years after it's running again.

Well there is putting it together as a nice running engine, which is very possible, and there is tuning it to take advantage of the new displacement which also is possible but more expensive.

Not saying one is better than the other, but may as well try and get the most out of it or at least more out of it than it otherwise would have been stock. So my vote is to have someone who is dangerous look at the heads and help with rings.
Old 07-31-2015, 01:31 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Too bad the brand new factory crate 3.6 classified listing wasn't around when OP was in the decision making phase. $18k seems like a bargain these days considering Porsche is no longer selling the full long blocks and considering that is $18k OTD with no core required. He could've been running in no time with this option.

https://rennlist.com/forums/parts-ma...ate-motor.html
Old 07-31-2015, 02:05 PM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

that option was around when I was looking. 18kusd is more like 25k CND. I didn't even pay that for the car.

so far I'm about 9k cdn in. probably another 5-6k to go.

I'm sticking to my original plan.
Old 07-31-2015, 02:07 PM
white out
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I too would rather build a motor than buy another stocker.
Old 07-31-2015, 02:14 PM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by white out
I too would rather build a motor than buy another stocker.
those engines are not stockers though. believe they are rebuilds with proper sleeves and pistons, lower thermostat, etc. if the price wasn't more than the car, I would have seriously considered it.

I looked at juSt replacing the engine with a stocker off of eBay but I have no gurantee I wouldnt be doing this all over again. with my luck with cars, it's pretty much guranteed to bite me in the a$$

Last edited by AWDGuy; 07-31-2015 at 04:36 PM.
Old 07-31-2015, 02:32 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

We were just as busy back when crate engines were being sold new.. Back in the old days my engines were 15-18K and a new crate engine was 7-9K. More than enough people wanted the hand built, fully optimized version that was double, or sometimes triple the cost.

Its happening again today, as we supply my 4.2 and 4.4 for the 9a1 cars that are as new as 2014. People can buy a brand new crate engine for the new cars, or buy a hand built, fully optimized version.

The OP is looking for 300WHP, if he bolts this engine together as a 4.0 he will get close to that.

While "I am in there" I do everything I can. Overkill is just barely enough.
Old 07-31-2015, 02:59 PM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

honestly....I could care less about power. I want to be back driving this thing. I want it to be reliable. I miss it a lot. I feel a tear down my cheek everytime I see it hovering in my garage.

I use the same approach with all my car projects. get the car running reliably, then work on getting more power out of it. my projects are successful for the most part. I'm changing everything I can afford. everything that can be replaced is being replaced. I don't feel like I am taking shortcuts with this. I get that I should upgrade the head cams and all that while it's out but I don't have the funds for it, I've been told by the manufacturer it isn't needed and a divorce isnt in the cards
Old 07-31-2015, 03:05 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

In that case, buy a fish scale and learn how to use it for oil ring tension settings and bolt it together.
Old 07-31-2015, 03:24 PM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
In that case, buy a fish scale and learn how to use it for oil ring tension settings and bolt it together.
it's all I've been reading about. my wife was asking me why I was looking at fish scales on the net last night.

lmao

and still reading. I'll pm you my questions as they come.
Old 07-31-2015, 03:25 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,371 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by AWDGuy
honestly....I could care less about power. I want to be back driving this thing. I want it to be reliable. I miss it a lot. I feel a tear down my cheek everytime I see it hovering in my garage.

I use the same approach with all my car projects. get the car running reliably, then work on getting more power out of it. my projects are successful for the most part. I'm changing everything I can afford. everything that can be replaced is being replaced. I don't feel like I am taking shortcuts with this. I get that I should upgrade the head cams and all that while it's out but I don't have the funds for it, I've been told by the manufacturer it isn't needed and a divorce isnt in the cards
I don't get it.

If funds are an issue, why would you go to a 4.0L anyway?

You could have done a nice nickies 3.6 with a fully optimized package that would likely perform better and last longer than a compromise 4.0.
Old 07-31-2015, 03:27 PM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

3.6 or 4.0, same price. $4600

and after a coversation with the manufacturer and them confirming it will not require any supporting mods, & run fine, why not?
Old 07-31-2015, 03:34 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

You can do it with an alternative method, using a bathroom type scale. It's easier and more accurate for a newbie.

Quick Reply: My 3.6 to 4.0 Project