Sponsored by:

blown engine

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 01:54 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by swede man
Asaih, calling yourself a 'tree-shade' mechanic sounds very modest. I personally think otherwise and I don't think I'm alone here. All your posts and write ups have been extremely informative and show that you are having a great understanding and in depth knowledge of these cars and I have learned a lot from them. Thank you!
Thanks for the kind words and glad to hear my posts are useful. Now waiting to graduate to an engine assembler one day
Old 09-30-2015, 02:01 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Ahsai
Thanks for the kind words and glad to hear my posts are useful. Now waiting to graduate to an engine assembler one day
Well you're a good way there since you're taking "the class". Just make sure you don't sign any NDA when you get there.
Old 09-30-2015, 03:49 PM
Rubik
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by swede man
Asaih, calling yourself a 'tree-shade' mechanic sounds very modest. I personally think otherwise and I don't think I'm alone here. All your posts and write ups have been extremely informative and show that you are having a great understanding and in depth knowledge of these cars and I have learned a lot from them. Thank you!
+996

Dude, everything you write is spot on. Also equally important: Your forum etiquette is excellent. Good man!

So is this engine rescue-worthy?
Old 09-30-2015, 04:33 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by alpine003
Well you're a good way there since you're taking "the class". Just make sure you don't sign any NDA when you get there.
NDA will be self-imposed if not signed...not fair to share Jake's proprietary info in the public.

Maybe we can encourage Jake to publish his book. The thing is all the critical info will be proprietary (and hard earned by Jake through all the R&D) so in reality, not sure how much Jake can disclose in his book. The non-critical stuff probably has limited values anyway...

Originally Posted by Rubik
+996

Dude, everything you write is spot on. Also equally important: Your forum etiquette is excellent. Good man!

So is this engine rescue-worthy?
Thanks for the kind words! That's a $10k question (parts only). The crank looks OK but will take it to a machine shop to verify first.

I think the question is if I build an engine, will I be able to sell car + engine (break even) down the road once I put a few thousand miles, a few oil changes/inspections and verified everything is working fine. Will be strange to keep two almost identical cars in the long run
Old 09-30-2015, 05:09 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,290 Likes on 902 Posts

Some of the best class attendees I have ever had came from other fields... Neurosurgery, Orthopedics, one was an English Professor, programmers, you name it... They really pay attention, because the engine intrigues them. I love our enthusiast classes, teaching pros can really suck, since most of them are sent here by their boss and are just screwing off. One lit up some weed at lunch, and came back stoned. I kicked his *** off the property and kept his money.

I have slots for the December class remaining!
Old 09-30-2015, 06:17 PM
Rubik
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
Some of the best class attendees I have ever had came from other fields... Neurosurgery, Orthopedics, one was an English Professor, programmers, you name it... They really pay attention, because the engine intrigues them. I love our enthusiast classes, teaching pros can really suck, since most of them are sent here by their boss and are just screwing off. One lit up some weed at lunch, and came back stoned. I kicked his *** off the property and kept his money.

I have slots for the December class remaining!
Well, my educational background is Microbiology who as a group are known to be obsessive compulsive, detail oriented, investigative, skeptical, and **** retentive. I think I might make a good student!
Old 09-30-2015, 06:31 PM
Sneaky Pete
Nordschleife Master

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Well, my educational background is Microbiology who as a group are known to be obsessive compulsive, detail oriented, investigative, skeptical, and **** retentive. I think I might make a good student!
Or you'd be the 1st Microbiologist kicked out of the class for bringing Schizomycetes into the clean room.
Old 09-30-2015, 07:01 PM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah, thumbs up from me for Asai.

you've been an amazing help with my own build.
Old 09-30-2015, 07:16 PM
911 carrera blue
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Ahsai is extremely knowledge and his diagnostics are always spot-on, he always share without feeling omnipotent, considering himself a "tree-shade" mechanic is a belittled term.

Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist
Old 09-30-2015, 07:20 PM
911 carrera blue
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

my wife is a microbiologist, but the last thing she is obsessive compulsive is her car, I'm the one who has to take care off, and definitely she is not **** retentive 😂😂

Old 09-30-2015, 07:36 PM
Rubik
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911 carrera blue
my wife is a microbiologist, but the last thing she is obsessive compulsive is her car, I'm the one who has to take care off, and definitely she is not **** retentive 😂😂

haha....
Old 10-01-2015, 12:06 AM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Thanks for the kind words, guys. Will be interesting to see what other profession I will meet in the engine rebuild class.
Old 10-01-2015, 07:29 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,290 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by Ahsai
Thanks for the kind words, guys. Will be interesting to see what other profession I will meet in the engine rebuild class.
At least one professional ******* will be there!
Old 10-01-2015, 07:49 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
At least one professional ******* will be there!
Guilty until proven innocent!
Old 10-13-2015, 10:43 PM
cringely
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

I thought the tread might want to know that I finally replaced my 996. Picked up a 2009 997 plain vanilla (actually black) Carrera from Circle Porsche in Long Beach, CA today. Haven't yet updated my avatar, but will do so in the next few days.
I have to give cudos to Ahsai for his efforts in restoring my 996's engine. I will continue to follow Ashai's postings as they are a wealth of information. Besides which, he is a really nice guy.
Regards, Cringely

Quick Reply: blown engine