Sponsored by:

blown engine

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 06:15 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,293 Likes on 903 Posts

Originally Posted by cringely
I guess that this is the first example of performing preventative maintainence and having it bite you on the backside. I really thought I was being smart in replacing the IMS.
Not the first time, and not the last.

We have tipped the 500 mark on preventative packages, and we still have not had a single post- process failure. This dates back to 2007 when I did the very first retrofit.

Nothing is conclusive, and no one will ever know what failed first, the chicken, or the egg.
Old 08-31-2015, 07:00 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,202 Likes on 620 Posts

Ahsai,

The only thing certain in life is taxes and death. We can try our best, but you can't make a mechanical system 100% fail-safe - that is especially the case with the M96 engine. Everything said, just give LN a call. The least we can do is replace your IMS and get your old one back (along with all the bits for analysis) and we'll give you additional consideration on internal upgrades, since it appears you were well under way to needing Nickies. The rattle you described was an early cylinder failure - fresh, thicker oil quieted it up. The cylinder bore material is very hard - it eats carbide tooling like crazy when machining blocks.

Just ask for John, he'll take good care. I'll give him a heads up you'll be calling.
Old 08-31-2015, 07:17 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Absolutely amazing generosity.
Old 08-31-2015, 07:19 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 67 Likes on 52 Posts

Jake, with your explanation of cylinder squirter and score in mid-bore I agree it's very difficult if not impossible to conclude which happened first.

Charles, thanks a lot for your offer and it's great to know LN stands behind their products (I never doubted that btw)! I'm actually considering my rebuild/refresh options and definitely thinking about about getting Nickies from LN. I keep all the parts of the engine so I can definitely send in the IMSB and the IMS, maybe with the broken IMS paddle as well. I'll contact John soon. I'll be attending Jake's engine rebuilding school in Dec so reassembly should not be a problem

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
Not the first time, and not the last.

We have tipped the 500 mark on preventative packages, and we still have not had a single post- process failure. This dates back to 2007 when I did the very first retrofit.

Nothing is conclusive, and no one will ever know what failed first, the chicken, or the egg.
Originally Posted by Charles Navarro
Ahsai,

The only thing certain in life is taxes and death. We can try our best, but you can't make a mechanical system 100% fail-safe - that is especially the case with the M96 engine. Everything said, just give LN a call. The least we can do is replace your IMS and get your old one back (along with all the bits for analysis) and we'll give you additional consideration on internal upgrades, since it appears you were well under way to needing Nickies. The rattle you described was an early cylinder failure - fresh, thicker oil quieted it up. The cylinder bore material is very hard - it eats carbide tooling like crazy when machining blocks.

Just ask for John, he'll take good care. I'll give him a heads up you'll be calling.
Old 08-31-2015, 09:01 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Guys, see what happens when someone approaches a bad situation with respect and civility? JohnCK2014 needs to take some forum etiquette lessons from Ahsai.
Old 08-31-2015, 09:28 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Jake, I wonder if it should be strongly recommended that the spin-on filter and mag drain plug are "must have" items to go with the LN bearing? The extra cost is not that much but the combo greatly reduces the chance of non-IMSB debris taking out the bearing. It should give the owner enough advance warning if debris are found on the mag drain plug and/or the oil filter. At least it will be cheaper to repair/rebuild the engine.
Old 08-31-2015, 09:49 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Ahsai
Jake, I wonder if it should be strongly recommended that the spin-on filter and mag drain plug are "must have" items to go with the LN bearing? The extra cost is not that much but the combo greatly reduces the chance of non-IMSB debris taking out the bearing. It should give the owner enough advance warning if debris are found on the mag drain plug and/or the oil filter. At least it will be cheaper to repair/rebuild the engine.
They have always been highly encouraged. I always instruct the techs in my classes to do this, and why.

But, at the end of the day, buyers just think that they are being uphold on something and they won't buy it.

I developed the Spin On Filter Adaptor solely for this purpose, but of course, it was a spin off (pun) of the IMS Solution invention.
Old 08-31-2015, 10:05 PM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 254 Likes on 162 Posts

Just adding an FYI I figured out and has been mentioned in passing on other threads. Too put it simply, its not the spin on adapter that actually makes the difference. It's taking the oil bypass (which all filters have) and moving it from the bottom of the filter (where the OEM one lies) to the top of the filter (where the recommended Napa filter bypass is) so that when unfiltered oil is circulated, its not pulling from the bottom of the canister. For example the Napa filter and the mobil 1 filter have the bypass at the top, but the fram filters have the bypass at the bottom.

Feel free to correct this if I am incorrect.
Old 08-31-2015, 10:09 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

BTW, now that I've held the IMS in my hand I understand why its mass (significant) would warrant thrust control on the IMSB (when the car accelerates and decelerates). I also see how skinny that hex oil pump drive and the IMS paddle are.
Old 08-31-2015, 10:11 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Ahsai
BTW, now that I've held the IMS in my hand I understand why its mass (significant) would warrant thrust control on the IMSB (when the car accelerates and decelerates). I also see how skinny that hex oil pump drive and the IMS paddle are.
Thrust is what kills these bearings more than anything. Don't listen to some guy that lost his job, and started selling parts online, that tells you anything else.

The IMS Solution is the only product on the market that offers both radial, and longitudinal support of the IMS assembly.
Old 09-01-2015, 09:45 AM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dgjks6
Just adding an FYI I figured out and has been mentioned in passing on other threads. Too put it simply, its not the spin on adapter that actually makes the difference. It's taking the oil bypass (which all filters have) and moving it from the bottom of the filter (where the OEM one lies) to the top of the filter (where the recommended Napa filter bypass is) so that when unfiltered oil is circulated, its not pulling from the bottom of the canister. For example the Napa filter and the mobil 1 filter have the bypass at the top, but the fram filters have the bypass at the bottom.

The filter used in the IMS Solution is a Napa Gold 1348 (Wix 51348) and does have a bypass, but a higher pressure one. Secondly, the filter gets thrown away every time, so the bypass spring doesn't loose tension like the factory one does over time. Some recommend replacing the housing every other oil change for that reason.

The filter used in the normal spin on oil filter adapter, or spofa for short as we call it, uses a Napa Gold 1042 (Wix 51042), which does not have any bypass whatsoever and is full flow (robbed from a 97-04 Corvette).
Old 09-01-2015, 10:21 AM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 254 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by Charles Navarro
The filter used in the normal spin on oil filter adapter, or spofa for short as we call it, uses a Napa Gold 1042 (Wix 51042), which does not have any bypass whatsoever and is full flow (robbed from a 97-04 Corvette).
http://www.napafilters.com/do-it-you.../#!prettyPhoto

Click on the video for the napa gold filter. It shows a bypass. Is the 1042 different from the other napa gold filters?
Old 09-01-2015, 11:04 AM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

http://www.napafilters.com/do-it-you.../#!prettyPhoto

Click on the video for the napa gold filter. It shows a bypass. Is the 1042 different from the other napa gold filters?
Some filters have bypasses, others do not. They even offer different pressure bypasses as well. Just depends on the application and filter part number.
Old 09-01-2015, 11:31 AM
Ericson38
Burning Brakes

Received 364 Likes on 280 Posts

Right, and agree with the benefits with the Gold line..but look what Napa appears to have done with their Platinum line-

http://www.napafilters.com/filters/o...prettyPhoto/0/
Old 09-01-2015, 12:06 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

The platinum filters are excellent as well. Identical in construction to the K&N (without the nut on the end) and the Royal Purple filters. Probably all made in the same plant. I'd use the platinum filter for track use since the pleats are wire backed and very well supported for extra surge protection.

Quick Reply: blown engine