Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

That co part car is Black over mould, ha ha
Old 06-23-2020, 06:39 AM
Yabadabdoo
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2000-Porsch...cAAOSwsQJesJw5

I think I'm going to pull the trigger on this this week, albeit I'm a little hesitant that there aren't service records since they've been lost over 5 owners and I'd be number 6...which does seem high if I ever sell down the road.

I had a long hard talk with my dad about purchasing the car. He's always been a Porsche nut but always said he'd wait until he retired when he had more time to play with it. You can see where this is going...he recently retired and now he's too tired. I don't blame him and he still loves Porsche's but he said his priorities have changed to stay healthy, learn the piano, and play with the grand kids (not mine). When he was first married, he used to own a lot of cool cars and tinkered with them so he understands why I'm so excited to buy this car. He discouraged me from this purchase, saying that it's a phase (I'm 35 and always loved cars/Porsche's, ironically because of my dad) and that he eventually spent a lot of time and money when he was younger and felt a weight lifted when he finally sold them all. He said I wouldn't understand unless I "got it out of my system" but said to learn from him. After the conversation, he said it's my life and maybe I need to learn. I offered the sentiment that I would love to bond with him and fly him out to Seattle to drive it to Maryland where he lives as a father son experience but he shot that down.

I want this car but now I'm second guessing myself and what I'm getting myself into. I'm asking myself - is it just a phase or will I be pleasantly surprised? I've never owned such a nice car and understand that I may not recoup what I monetarily put in but it could be a real gem of an experience. I'm in a serious relationship and I wonder if now's the time and how my priorities may change when it's time to buy a house and have kids (God willing). Anyone have any stories like this with family? Thoughts or advice on the situation and even on the car itself? Anything is appreciated as I'm more than ok with hearing the truth and not necessarily something to affirm me to go buy it. Thanks!
Old 06-23-2020, 07:49 AM
GarrettSR5
Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by Yabadabdoo

I think I'm going to pull the trigger on this this week, albeit I'm a little hesitant that there aren't service records since they've been lost over 5 owners and I'd be number 6...which does seem high if I ever sell down the road.

I had a long hard talk with my dad about purchasing the car. He's always been a Porsche nut but always said he'd wait until he retired when he had more time to play with it. You can see where this is going...he recently retired and now he's too tired. I don't blame him and he still loves Porsche's but he said his priorities have changed to stay healthy, learn the piano, and play with the grand kids (not mine). When he was first married, he used to own a lot of cool cars and tinkered with them so he understands why I'm so excited to buy this car. He discouraged me from this purchase, saying that it's a phase (I'm 35 and always loved cars/Porsche's, ironically because of my dad) and that he eventually spent a lot of time and money when he was younger and felt a weight lifted when he finally sold them all. He said I wouldn't understand unless I "got it out of my system" but said to learn from him. After the conversation, he said it's my life and maybe I need to learn. I offered the sentiment that I would love to bond with him and fly him out to Seattle to drive it to Maryland where he lives as a father son experience but he shot that down.

I want this car but now I'm second guessing myself and what I'm getting myself into. I'm asking myself - is it just a phase or will I be pleasantly surprised? I've never owned such a nice car and understand that I may not recoup what I monetarily put in but it could be a real gem of an experience. I'm in a serious relationship and I wonder if now's the time and how my priorities may change when it's time to buy a house and have kids (God willing). Anyone have any stories like this with family? Thoughts or advice on the situation and even on the car itself? Anything is appreciated as I'm more than ok with hearing the truth and not necessarily something to affirm me to go buy it. Thanks!
The leather on the frontsfront looks like they used Armorall to within an inch of it's life. It's not "supple" either
he says it has a dual row IMS. I always thought they were gone at the end of the 99 model year, I'm sure someone can shed some more light on that.
The rear slats in the bumper are rare, usually you just see XAA.
he writes 981 as "leather w/o seat cover" but it's actually leather dash and door panels. Nice option when cared for
wheels are obviously swapped, matter of taste I guess

With the way XAA cars have been going on BaT as of late, I think that's a good price and chances are you won't lose if you decide to sell it.
Long term ownership is nice also.
Old 06-23-2020, 08:15 AM
Dranon
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by GarrettSR5
The leather on the frontsfront looks like they used Armorall to within an inch of it's life. It's not "supple" either
he says it has a dual row IMS. I always thought they were gone at the end of the 99 model year, I'm sure someone can shed some more light on that.
The rear slats in the bumper are rare, usually you just see XAA.
he writes 981 as "leather w/o seat cover" but it's actually leather dash and door panels. Nice option when cared for
wheels are obviously swapped, matter of taste I guess

With the way XAA cars have been going on BaT as of late, I think that's a good price and chances are you won't lose if you decide to sell it.
Long term ownership is nice also.
Car is NOT completely stock. Instrument guages are Champion aftermarket. The wheels are not the ones that came with the car but do look OEM Porsche. I have the same ones. BUT the front seats are the supple leather. Just worn from age. Weird it does not have upgrade Bose system. There are door pockets instead of speakers. Option 981 is leather dash and door panels. Easy to look up. https://www.stuttcars.com/technical/...des/996-98-01/
Nice car !
Old 06-23-2020, 08:20 AM
GarrettSR5
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dranon
Car is NOT completely stock. Instrument guages are Champion aftermarket. The wheels are not the ones that came with the car but do look OEM Porsche. I have the same ones. BUT the front seats are the supple leather. Just worn from age. Weird it does not have upgrade Bose system. There are door pockets instead of speakers. Option 981 is leather dash and door panels. Easy to look up. https://www.stuttcars.com/technical/...des/996-98-01/
Nice car !
From Stuttcars:981Leather dashboard and door panels982Draped leather front seats
Old 06-23-2020, 08:22 AM
user 8298308
Banned

Received 687 Likes on 399 Posts

That eBay car listing has a bit of an "I know what I've got!" feel to it. Guards Red is very nice, though. 75k+ miles and "NO dings, scratches"? That's a bit hard to believe. And I'd want confirmation of the dual-row IMS.

Get it checked out to your satisfaction if you're going to make a purchase. I think the price is fair for a C4. Xenons to boot, which is a nice option.

I wish mine were a C4!

Edit: More pics would help. No "wetness" underneath? Then let's see the RMS area and not just the bottom of the sump.
Old 06-23-2020, 08:25 AM
Dranon
Rennlist Member

982 draped means supple leather.
Old 06-23-2020, 08:27 AM
GarrettSR5
Rennlist Member

982 draped means supple leather.
Interesting. I thought supple was a different option code.
I also didn't know the door speakers were an upgraded system, my really stripped low option 99 has them.

Learn something new every day
Old 06-23-2020, 08:33 AM
Dranon
Rennlist Member

Yeah I thought they just changed the wording but it was called draped throughout the 996 models. Al 3 of my 996 had the draped option except for the turbo with the sport seats which I did not like.
The door speakers only came with the Bose system (pretty sure) otherwise you got those little door pockets
Old 06-23-2020, 08:36 AM
GarrettSR5
Rennlist Member

I just checked my options tag:490Basic sound system
Old 06-23-2020, 09:07 AM
Dranon
Rennlist Member

There must of been a point in my 200 where they put door speakers on all of them. I have only seen the door pockets on my 99 and 2k.
Old 06-23-2020, 11:43 AM
achman
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Yabadabdoo

factory aerokit on a C4 is rare. Add guards red and the supple leather and moderately low miles, and I think this is a good buy. Factor in $3k for the next year for maintenance and sorting, and you've got a decently uncommon car which will be superb to drive and you will love. If your situation changes, you'll get your money back with no worries as long as you maintain it and don't do any stupid upgrades or mods. The gundo hack is the best alternative to the factory PSE, so enjoy the sound.
Old 06-23-2020, 11:56 AM
Prelude Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

There must of been a point in my 200 where they put door speakers on all of them. I have only seen the door pockets on my 99 and 2k.
My 2002 has door pockets.
Old 06-23-2020, 12:13 PM
SoCal911t
Rennlist Member

Received 1,458 Likes on 705 Posts

My '99 has option 490 (non Bose) with door speakers. Also, on the invoice, they referred to option 982 as 'Soft Look Leather' which I guess is sales-speak for draped leather.

Old 06-23-2020, 12:35 PM
ssherman68
Racer

Received 174 Likes on 115 Posts

Random thoughts on the whole money/family thing...

Most of the people that commented know more about these cars than I do (I've only had mine 3 months) so I'm not going to comment on the quality of that particular car. If you buy a 996 now you'll get to fix it up and enjoy it before the family comes along. When that happens you can decide if you want to keep it or not. You probably won't have a chance in hell of getting one after the wife/baby thing happens.

Unless something catastrophic happens with the engine, you shouldn't have any huge expenses once you have all the achilles heels taken care of. If you do have to sell it, chances are you won't lose much money (if any). I don't think they'll skyrocket in value but they're most likely near the bottom of their curve. Like someone said, just don't do any crazy mods to it. Also, don't buy a car with a bunch of mods. The cars I saw that were knocking on $30K were the ones that someone had done all sorts of stuff to and they were trying to get that money back out. I think mods generally decrease the value of a car once they start getting into a "classic" stage.

My 99 has door speakers without the Bose. It has the factory stereo w/ the 6 CD changer and the DSP.

Quick Reply: Today's Craigslist Finds...