Today's Craigslist Finds...

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2020, 12:52 PM
Billup
Burning Brakes

Received 593 Likes on 331 Posts

Originally Posted by Yabadabdoo
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2000-Porsch...cAAOSwsQJesJw5

I think I'm going to pull the trigger on this this week, albeit I'm a little hesitant that there aren't service records since they've been lost over 5 owners and I'd be number 6...which does seem high if I ever sell down the road.

I had a long hard talk with my dad about purchasing the car. He's always been a Porsche nut but always said he'd wait until he retired when he had more time to play with it. You can see where this is going...he recently retired and now he's too tired. I don't blame him and he still loves Porsche's but he said his priorities have changed to stay healthy, learn the piano, and play with the grand kids (not mine). When he was first married, he used to own a lot of cool cars and tinkered with them so he understands why I'm so excited to buy this car. He discouraged me from this purchase, saying that it's a phase (I'm 35 and always loved cars/Porsche's, ironically because of my dad) and that he eventually spent a lot of time and money when he was younger and felt a weight lifted when he finally sold them all. He said I wouldn't understand unless I "got it out of my system" but said to learn from him. After the conversation, he said it's my life and maybe I need to learn. I offered the sentiment that I would love to bond with him and fly him out to Seattle to drive it to Maryland where he lives as a father son experience but he shot that down.

I want this car but now I'm second guessing myself and what I'm getting myself into. I'm asking myself - is it just a phase or will I be pleasantly surprised? I've never owned such a nice car and understand that I may not recoup what I monetarily put in but it could be a real gem of an experience. I'm in a serious relationship and I wonder if now's the time and how my priorities may change when it's time to buy a house and have kids (God willing). Anyone have any stories like this with family? Thoughts or advice on the situation and even on the car itself? Anything is appreciated as I'm more than ok with hearing the truth and not necessarily something to affirm me to go buy it. Thanks!
I can understand where your dad is coming from, but you really need to shape your own opinion and decision based on what you want. We can receive advice all day long, but in the end, you truly do only live once. I purchased mine when I was 27, drove 400 miles to pick it up, and of course had people told me it was a poor decision. What may be a poor decision in their eyes, has been one of the best in mine, as it brings me joy hitting the throttle and hearing the grumbly exhaust.

The red aero you posted the link to looks to be in great shape and at a fair price, if the cost is in your range then go for it. Worse case scenario you drive it for a year and "get it out of your system" and you'll be able to sell it without taking much of a loss, if any at all.

Old 06-23-2020, 01:01 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 545 Posts

If you want it and can afford it (with some money still saved) then go for it. Live is to short...These cars are fantastic!
Old 06-23-2020, 02:36 PM
Dr_Strangelove
Drifting

Received 937 Likes on 566 Posts

I'm in a serious relationship and I wonder if now's the time and how my priorities may change when it's time to buy a house and have kids (God willing).
Take it from a family man - the 911 is a family car. Kids love 'em. Buy it, dude. You only live once. It's going to be fussier than a 2017 Civic but you won't sit in your garage and stare at a 2017 Civic.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dr_Strangelove:
Gingerman (06-24-2020), user 8298308 (06-23-2020)
Old 06-23-2020, 03:57 PM
jdoc1949
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Buying one of these cars on eBay always makes me feel uneasy unless you can look at the car and or talk to the owner/dealer. My ten cents is to buy from somebody that has owned it for a while and has a history with it especially some of early 1999-2004 996's. There are some great cars for sale on the Rennlist forum from people that love them and are pretty upfront about there cars. There was one on this week in Wisconsin, a 2004 silver 4S higher miles but a lot of service History, could be a good deal he wants to sell quickly,he is asking $24,000 I think you could get him down to $22
Some times you get stuck on the color, just remember its how the car feels from the inside that counts, your not looking at it when you are driving hard and fast, first one needs to be safe, reliable and have some good pedigree.
All the best in your adventure, my son and I talk about and love cars, been to lots of F1 races together, done some vintage racing together. Im retired (71) just finished a1995 cab 993 rebuilt (ready to sell) finishing a 1975 BMW 2002 rebuild (ready to sell) also have 2000 ZM3, just put new suspension, top and tires (50,000 miles ready to sell) . Also, have a Chrysler 1955 Windsor and mounted on a ChevySS chassis, discs brakes LT1 motor, retromod big cruiser ( ready to sell). I also have a 2003 Targa 996 as a daily driver in spring, summer, autumn. I look for a cheap 4 wheel drive every winter as a run-around.
Think long and hard about the first one if its a great experience you will love Porsche forever. If it feels good you will fall in love with any color ( maybe not all but most)
Regards
John
The following 2 users liked this post by jdoc1949:
Billup (06-23-2020), user 8298308 (06-23-2020)
Old 06-23-2020, 03:58 PM
MoeMonney
Rennlist Member

Received 234 Likes on 129 Posts

Rare color Rainforest Green metallic 99 on ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1999-Porsch...MAAOSw5lxe6YVG
Old 06-23-2020, 04:06 PM
jdoc1949
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Here is the car sounds like it has got good mechanical history I think offering $22 is a start

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=839141&goto=newpost

Old 06-23-2020, 05:14 PM
GarrettSR5
Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by MoeMonney
Rare color Rainforest Green metallic 99 on ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1999-Porsch...MAAOSw5lxe6YVG
Green on tan
reminds me of every 1990s GM and Ford product
Old 06-23-2020, 09:07 PM
Yabadabdoo
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for everyone's words of wisdom whether it be around the car and its options or just life decisions and how that looks with a Porsche - it was fun reading! I'll keep y'all posted with what happens...the seller sent me a bunch more pictures via text and I have a PPI scheduled with Kurt from Marque Motors in Portland, OR on Friday!
The following users liked this post:
Billup (06-24-2020)
Old 06-24-2020, 02:01 PM
Dranon
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 141 Posts

Thanks for everyone's words of wisdom whether it be around the car and its options or just life decisions and how that looks with a Porsche - it was fun reading! I'll keep y'all posted with what happens...the seller sent me a bunch more pictures via text and I have a PPI scheduled with Kurt from Marque Motors in Portland, OR on Friday!
I second the family car thing When my kids were little we had a booster up front (with airbag cutoff device) and 2 car seats in back. I lost my 2001 C4 cab to my wife who carted the kids to school in it. She worked at the school. The kids all adults now still talk about their rides to school with the top down!! Great memories.
Old 06-24-2020, 02:23 PM
Dranon
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 141 Posts

Did some research. I have the 996 companion book and several other resources. Nothing seemed to be definitive except that ANY upgrade from basic sound system replaced the door pockets with speakers. There were many combinations from cassette to Cd to Bose to PCM. So IF your car has any stereo option listed that adds money you got the door speakers!
Option 982 was always called draped leather but every one always refers to it as soft look leather. This hails back to the 993 and earlier! The companion book under the 982 option states both soft look leather and draped leather.
Originally Posted by SoCal911t
My '99 has option 490 (non Bose) with door speakers. Also, on the invoice, they referred to option 982 as 'Soft Look Leather' which I guess is sales-speak for draped leather.

I love that you have the original invoice! Thanks for posting it.

Old 06-24-2020, 03:15 PM
hexagone
Rennlist Member

Received 641 Likes on 303 Posts

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2000-Porsch...cAAOSwsQJesJw5

I think I'm going to pull the trigger on this this week, albeit I'm a little hesitant that there aren't service records since they've been lost over 5 owners and I'd be number 6...which does seem high if I ever sell down the road.

I had a long hard talk with my dad about purchasing the car. He's always been a Porsche nut but always said he'd wait until he retired when he had more time to play with it. You can see where this is going...he recently retired and now he's too tired. I don't blame him and he still loves Porsche's but he said his priorities have changed to stay healthy, learn the piano, and play with the grand kids (not mine). When he was first married, he used to own a lot of cool cars and tinkered with them so he understands why I'm so excited to buy this car. He discouraged me from this purchase, saying that it's a phase (I'm 35 and always loved cars/Porsche's, ironically because of my dad) and that he eventually spent a lot of time and money when he was younger and felt a weight lifted when he finally sold them all. He said I wouldn't understand unless I "got it out of my system" but said to learn from him. After the conversation, he said it's my life and maybe I need to learn. I offered the sentiment that I would love to bond with him and fly him out to Seattle to drive it to Maryland where he lives as a father son experience but he shot that down.

I want this car but now I'm second guessing myself and what I'm getting myself into. I'm asking myself - is it just a phase or will I be pleasantly surprised? I've never owned such a nice car and understand that I may not recoup what I monetarily put in but it could be a real gem of an experience. I'm in a serious relationship and I wonder if now's the time and how my priorities may change when it's time to buy a house and have kids (God willing). Anyone have any stories like this with family? Thoughts or advice on the situation and even on the car itself? Anything is appreciated as I'm more than ok with hearing the truth and not necessarily something to affirm me to go buy it. Thanks!
This car was on Craiglist for 17k a few months ago. I spoke to the original owner who said it sold within a day (obviously).

If he's upping the price by 9k, what is the value add since the previous owner so short ago?
Old 06-24-2020, 03:32 PM
Prelude Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by hexagone
This car was on Craiglist for 17k a few months ago. I spoke to the original owner who said it sold within a day (obviously).

If he's upping the price by 9k, what is the value add since the previous owner so short ago?
It has nothing to do with "value added". It has to do with buying low, selling high. He found a deal and is trying to turn a profit.
Old 06-24-2020, 05:33 PM
Yabadabdoo
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@hexagone that's very interesting. This owner did say that he bought it this year on the day Kobe Bryant died (Jan 26).
Old 06-24-2020, 05:56 PM
hexagone
Rennlist Member

Received 641 Likes on 303 Posts

@hexagone that's very interesting. This owner did say that he bought it this year on the day Kobe Bryant died (Jan 26).
His price is right, but knowing he didn't do much to the car to improve it- I could never justify paying the premium.

I've flipped cars TBH - but my stance is always some kind of demonstrable value add in receipts and time spent to get the car sorted from where it was before.
Old 06-24-2020, 09:04 PM
sgt1372
Pro

Received 147 Likes on 113 Posts

Took a drive in this CL find today. It's a 2004 Dodge Viper but it might be of interest to some here anyway.
Thought I might want to trade-in my MR2 in for it but it's not for me. All raw power and more of a phallic symbol than even a Vette is but I had a lot of fun driving it just the same. LOL!

Anyway, it's in pretty good shape, hauls like a bat-in-hell and handles well for a car of its type. The asking price at $45k is "reasonable" based on the comps I've seen (but you could of course offer less) and it only has 11k miles on the clock.

If you're interested, it's located in San Ramon and you can find the CL ad for it here: https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/ctd...140831468.html

Quick Reply: Today's Craigslist Finds...