Sponsored by:

Today's Craigslist Finds...

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 04:56 PM
stan23
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kcattorney
You might not notice it if he didn't point it out - I didn't. Once he pointed it out, I'm like, "oh, yeah, I hear what you're talking about." I wouldn't be surprised if that engine ran fine for another 50,000+ miles.

Again, we're talking about a $10,000 asking price here folks. If the engine does blow, sell the carcass for $6,000 and you're out $4,000. Or, if it doesn't blow, drive it for 2 or 3 years and sell it easy for what you paid for it.
I don't have issues with the price. I have issues with the seller knowing it has a ticking motor, but yet - fails to disclose it in the ad. To me that speaks very lowly of his character.

Imagine a buyer going in to see the car based on the ad, and the seller saying, oh right.. "I forgot to mention in the ad that the motor ticks." Your speculation of 'the motor is probably fine based on the ticks that you heard a year ago is laughable at best.
Old 06-21-2017, 05:46 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 545 Posts

Ticks are never a good thing!
Old 06-21-2017, 05:53 PM
Coopduc
Burning Brakes

Received 255 Likes on 135 Posts

I have no problem with project vehicles, in some way it's preferable as a hobby car, keeps me out of the bar.
So for me it comes down to 3 questions:
1. Could I drive the car 900 miles from KC to home?
2. How much would a clutch (and I assume flywheel), IMSB, RMS and AOS cost to replace?
3. Once item 2 issues are taken care of, how long is the ticking engine likely to last?
Any opinions welcome.
Old 06-21-2017, 06:10 PM
AnthonyGS
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Coopduc
I have no problem with project vehicles, in some way it's preferable as a hobby car, keeps me out of the bar.
So for me it comes down to 3 questions:
1. Could I drive the car 900 miles from KC to home?
2. How much would a clutch (and I assume flywheel), IMSB, RMS and AOS cost to replace?
3. Once item 2 issues are taken care of, how long is the ticking engine likely to last?
Any opinions welcome.

Depends on the cause of #3 totally. Bad lifters... bore damage or maybe just a small exhaust leak. It depends entirely on cause. The ticking can be fixed too. It's finding out the cause and repairing it that is the unknown.

You could always get a borescope and inspect the bores as well as get a compression test done. scored cylinders or a sticking lifter may show up there, and exhaust leak will not. Look for soot at all the exhaust gaskets and connections will be best for finding an exhaust leak or feeling around while the engine is running.

I've even personally seen a bad plug wire shorting out causing quite the ticking noise. I found it with my hand before I saw it. That was lots of fun, thank goodness its low current because the voltage is super high.
Old 06-21-2017, 06:11 PM
rolex11
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by AnthonyGS
I really don't see all the reason for the negativity. This car is priced appropriately and it is a perfect pick up for a guy that wants a hobby car and has mechanical ability. Fix the clutch, replace IMS and RMS, probably AoS too and check other things, and then you have a car you could track without crying if it blows up.

Heck if someone wants to buy my 944 for 5k right now, I'd have to strongly consider this 996 to pick up as a track toy. I could do the needed work install an X50 oil baffle and go beat the holy heck out of this car and not cry when or if it blows up either. This car is almost ideal in many ways. If its still sitting around in December when I get my big annual bonus, I will offer $8500 and profit!
So you call out others who say the car is a high risk and therefor overpriced at 10K. State, "This car is priced appropriately..." Then say you would offer him $8,500.

Wait for it....wait for it....Classic.
Old 06-21-2017, 06:21 PM
AnthonyGS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rolex11
So you call out others who say the car is a high risk and therefor overpriced at 10K. State, "This car is priced appropriately..." Then say you would offer him $8,500.

Wait for it....wait for it....Classic.

Yes that's what I would offer. That's me, but I always negotiate on price. I travel to parts of the world that unless you negotiate you are essentially a sissy.

I think 10k is fair, but being thrifty doesn't make me an evil person. I'm not sure this car could be had for $8500, but I bet we'd settle somewhere in the middle if I had a hand full of bens too. I've done this multiple times. I currently own 7 vehicles. I didn't pay full asking for any of them except for the ZR-1. I only got $500 off my 996, but it was already priced really well. I asked for less, but settled at an even 18.

Heck if you think I'm so mean, next time you buy a big ticket item, offer more than the asking price. I know idiots from CA do it all the time and its driving up my house value, but I'm not an idiot.
Old 06-21-2017, 06:26 PM
Vincent713
Three Wheelin'

Received 167 Likes on 121 Posts

Anthony, do you have or know a good 996 for a good price in the DFW area? And yes I agree, there's no bargain if there is no negotiation.
Old 06-21-2017, 06:30 PM
TonyTwoBags
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Unwarranted certitude aplenty.

I DEMAND WE INDICT THIS SELLER FOR CHARACTER FLAWS OF THE HIGHEST ORDER!!!

sure, after you demonstrate conclusively:
- the tick is scoring & not a noisy part of the top end
- the seller knows conclusively the engine is nearing a full teardown
- the engine is not able to service another 10, 20, 30, 50 thousand regular miles without a teardown

Otherwise, maybe don't buy the car. Or maybe say it's suspect & more information is needed to justify anything over roller pricing.

Last I checked, a roller is a car that can't do a canyon drive or get you to work & back. Every other 996 on the road is a ~15yo car somewhere on the spectrum of needing a rebuild in the future. The car in question is priced very close to needing a rebuild. Barking about mispricing a 996 by $4k is silly. That's one healthy maintenance bill for Allah's sake.
Old 06-21-2017, 09:09 PM
AnthonyGS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Vincent713
Anthony, do you have or know a good 996 for a good price in the DFW area? And yes I agree, there's no bargain if there is no negotiation.
My budget was $20k so I got my car in Denver for $18. Happy to show it to you to help you see what's possible.

I think docmirror on here has a great car given options but it was a bit over my price range. He is in ft. Worth. It's also red but with tan interior. I do like the red/blk better but his car has ALL the cool options, m030, limited slip diff sport seats.

Ive seen a few nice deals in Austin but they go quick. There is a neat 00 special edition up here that has been for sale a while. With some negotiation it might be a great buy.
Old 06-21-2017, 09:33 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 545 Posts

The ME in Texas looks good.
Old 06-21-2017, 09:35 PM
Vincent713
Three Wheelin'

Received 167 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by AnthonyGS
My budget was $20k so I got my car in Denver for $18. Happy to show it to you to help you see what's possible.

I think docmirror on here has a great car given options but it was a bit over my price range. He is in ft. Worth. It's also red but with tan interior. I do like the red/blk better but his car has ALL the cool options, m030, limited slip diff sport seats.

Ive seen a few nice deals in Austin but they go quick. There is a neat 00 special edition up here that has been for sale a while. With some negotiation it might be a great buy.
Been searching on the popular classifications and test drove a few. Haven't found one I really like yet but I'm leaning towards the 3.6L C2 coupe. I find it has better pick up speed and a little more umph! Lots of cabriolets with good pricing but I want a coupe. Thank you for your kind offer.
Old 06-21-2017, 10:31 PM
AnthonyGS
Rennlist Member

Been searching on the popular classifications and test drove a few. Haven't found one I really like yet but I'm leaning towards the 3.6L C2 coupe. I find it has better pick up speed and a little more umph! Lots of cabriolets with good pricing but I want a coupe. Thank you for your kind offer.
I wanted a coupe too and a 6 spd, and I didn't really want the typical blk, grey or silver DFW 911 too. That alone eliminates probably 80% for sale. My car isn't perfect but it was a very good deal and the wife loves it too.
Old 06-21-2017, 11:19 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by stan23
Your speculation of 'the motor is probably fine based on the ticks that you heard a year ago is laughable at best.
Well, you're certainly in a better position than I to offer an opinion on this car.
Old 06-21-2017, 11:57 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I know of a good 996, but not necessarily a good price, if you think $14k is 'good'.
Old 06-22-2017, 12:01 AM
AnthonyGS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by docmirror
I know of a good 996, but not necessarily a good price, if you think $14k is 'good'.
14k for a good 996. If recommended by doc is probably a bargain given you can live with the colors and options.

Quick Reply: Today's Craigslist Finds...