Sponsored by:

Today's Craigslist Finds...

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 12:06 AM
stan23
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kcattorney
Well, you're certainly in a better position than I to offer an opinion on this car.
This is a CL finds feedback thread. I give feedback based on information presented to me. No more, no less.

Good luck to your friend. I'm sure he's a good guy to you.
Old 06-22-2017, 12:17 AM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 171 Posts

Yes, well, we were both hoping to retire on the ill gotten gains from our scheme to dump this 996 on some poor unsuspecting sucker. Dammit, you Silicon Valley types are just too smart for us flyover rubes with your expert diagnosis based on my obviously fatally flawed first-hand observation.
Old 06-22-2017, 12:31 AM
stan23
Racer

Yes, well, we were both hoping to retire on the ill gotten gains from our scheme to dump this 996 on some poor unsuspecting sucker. Dammit, you Silicon Valley types are just too smart for us flyover rubes with your expert diagnosis based on my obviously fatally flawed first-hand observation.
I see you have to retort to sarcastic remarks and personal attacks, because.. well you have nothing else.

Why don't you try to put yourself in a perspective buyers shoes, and look at the facts presented to us before you go home with your ball.

- Seller admits, there is a ticking sound
- You said you heard it a year ago
- None of this 'ticking' is indicated in the ad

I merely pointed this out, nothing more, nothing less. I am not here to diagnose the car, nor did say anything else regarding the car's mechanical state...

If I was buying a car, i'd would certainly want anything abnormal mechanically related disclosed in the ad before I made the trek to see it. Not to be 'surprised' when I showed up. Again, this is all feedback because--well, I don't think I need to remind you the title of the thread again.
Old 06-22-2017, 12:37 AM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

And how did you learn of the ticking?
Old 06-22-2017, 12:46 AM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

OK, here's one, and to be clear, I HAVE NO FVCKING AFFILIATION AT ALL WITH THIS SELLER, so flame away:

https://kansascity.craigslist.org/cto/6172876419.html

2002 tippy cab. Salvage title. Engine is shot with an IMS bearing failure. Asking $14,000.
Somebody call Dept of Homeland Security on this guy because he's obviously a terrorist.
Old 06-22-2017, 12:53 AM
stan23
Racer

And how did you learn of the ticking?
From the information YOU provided us--the buying public.

Is this information you would like to redact now?
Old 06-22-2017, 01:01 AM
Flat6Music
Pro

Received 230 Likes on 122 Posts

Ticks are bad, mmmmkay! Lymes disease comes from 996 ticks. Everybody knows that!

The asking price is 10k. Emphasis on "ASKING"

It's really simple for those that may truly be interested. You contact the seller, make the request that you'd like a good Porsche guy in the area do a diagnosis. Go down there together, and either submit an offer or respectfully decline.

I now return you to the previously scheduled program of "Bickering Over Nothing On Al Gore's Internets!"

And since this is about CL ads, perhaps a 996 Rants and Raves threads is in order?Nevermind, bad idea. Really bad idea!

(Note to self: Quickly unsubscribe to thread as if this post never occurred.)
Old 06-22-2017, 01:03 AM
stan23
Racer

OK, here's one, and to be clear, I HAVE NO FVCKING AFFILIATION AT ALL WITH THIS SELLER, so flame away:

https://kansascity.craigslist.org/cto/6172876419.html

2002 tippy cab. Salvage title. Engine is shot with an IMS bearing failure. Asking $14,000.
Somebody call Dept of Homeland Security on this guy because he's obviously a terrorist.
With 28K on the odo, there are some choice low mileage parts available on that car; such as interior and possibly tip trans. However, with a failed motor due to IMS - I would say that car is probably only really worth 10K. He did say OBO, so maybe someone will get lucky and get it super cheap and rebuild himself, or grab a takeoff motor elsewhere..
Old 06-22-2017, 01:08 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

God lord! I don't participate in this thread for awhile and it goes to pot!

WTF is the problem here? The thread is for posting up cars for sale so the group can chime in with their thoughts on it.

KC posted an ad, disclosed his relationship to the car, and gave his honest thoughts about its condition. So what the hell is the problem here?

You don't like the car or price? That's fine, this is the place to point out what you see to justify that. Getting on KC's case for the text of an ad he didn't write (and you wouldn't know was incomplete without his assessment) is just silly.

Personally given what KC has told us (and anyone that thinks he would knowingly try to screw someone over is seriously barking up the wrong tree), $10k indeed seems like a fair starting point.

More over, to the "I wanna know everything before I commit!". Pure BS. It's a used car with a ton of miles on it, you'll never know it all. And anyone that expects a $10k 996 to NOT have significant issues is lying to themselves regardless of what is and isn't in the ad.
Old 06-22-2017, 01:22 AM
stan23
Racer

Originally Posted by gnat
God lord! I don't participate in this thread for awhile and it goes to pot!

WTF is the problem here? The thread is for posting up cars for sale so the group can chime in with their thoughts on it.

KC posted an ad, disclosed his relationship to the car, and gave his honest thoughts about its condition. So what the hell is the problem here?

You don't like the car or price? That's fine, this is the place to point out what you see to justify that. Getting on KC's case for the text of an ad he didn't write (and you wouldn't know was incomplete without his assessment) is just silly.

Personally given what KC has told us (and anyone that thinks he would knowingly try to screw someone over is seriously barking up the wrong tree), $10k indeed seems like a fair starting point.

More over, to the "I wanna know everything before I commit!". Pure BS. It's a used car with a ton of miles on it, you'll never know it all. And anyone that expects a $10k 996 to NOT have significant issues is lying to themselves regardless of what is and isn't in the ad.
I respectfully disagree. Not disclosing some door dings, minor damage, or even non-functioning interior electronics is one thing. Not disclosing engine ticking noises is well.. just not too cool.

At no point did I mention anything negative regarding value of the car or otherwise. I just noted that both the seller and his friend stated that the motor ticks. I went over to the ad, and found it odd it was not mentioned -- and pointed this out.

Take it for what it is, i'm not the one selling the car--just providing feedback on the ad.
Old 06-22-2017, 01:47 AM
Vincent713
Three Wheelin'

Received 167 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by docmirror
I know of a good 996, but not necessarily a good price, if you think $14k is 'good'.
Care to share this good 996 for sale? I'm very jealous you guys found your 996 and I want to jump on the bandwagon to enjoy the fun driving experience.
Old 06-22-2017, 02:04 AM
Tweak18D
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In other news, interesting low mile Targa in the PNW.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/6143803649.html
Old 06-22-2017, 02:49 AM
Vincent713
Three Wheelin'

Received 167 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by AnthonyGS
I wanted a coupe too and a 6 spd, and I didn't really want the typical blk, grey or silver DFW 911 too. That alone eliminates probably 80% for sale. My car isn't perfect but it was a very good deal and the wife loves it too.
My ideal 996 color is the midnight blue with the caramel leather interior, 02-04, C2 coupe, 5sp manual. I really like just the bare bone exterior. Your 996 looks great, I really like those rims. How long have you had it and has it given you much trouble?
Old 06-22-2017, 09:57 AM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Vincent713
Care to share this good 996 for sale? I'm very jealous you guys found your 996 and I want to jump on the bandwagon to enjoy the fun driving experience.
I was being a little snarky - sorry. I had an ad up for my 99 AeroSport a while back for $21,500 and declined a few low-ball offers. Now I've put in the LN bearing, clutch, release bearing, and new front trans mounts and I was going to ask $24k for it, but I think competing with all the $14k cars out there is kind of wasting time.

And just so I don't anger the 'CL finds' thread gods I give you this(well, not giving it to you - as they say):

https://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/cto/6181054936.html

No affiliation, no ticking, no interest.
Old 06-22-2017, 10:46 AM
wildbilly32
Drifting

Received 786 Likes on 504 Posts

Originally Posted by Vincent713
My ideal 996 color is the midnight blue with the caramel leather interior, 02-04, C2 coupe, 6sp manual. I really like just the bare bone exterior. Your 996 looks great, I really like those rims. How long have you had it and has it given you much trouble?
FIFY!

Quick Reply: Today's Craigslist Finds...