Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

We Need Engine Cores! A rash of huge failures leaves our core bank "Bankrupt"!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 10:57 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,290 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by dgjks6
Did anyone ever see the motormeister video? They looked to have hundreds of cores. What happened to those?
Creditors have to be paid..
Old 02-20-2014, 11:11 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

So what exactly is your accusation? Did you have a core to sell?
Old 02-20-2014, 11:21 AM
roadsession
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

This is the type of nonsense post that leaves me to stop coming to Rennlist.
Jake - congrats on co inventing the IMS solution.
But it seems as the IMS failures are in sharp decline as more people have retrofitted the new bearing, or are on replacement engines, you have to obviously find a new revenue source.

I get that - you're a capitalist, not a non-profit. But I really do tire of your posts where you make KrazyK look like an optimist. You purposely use words like "tons" and "rash" etc etc - I don't know if you know this but they are alarmist in nature.

Let me be clear - I have 100% confidence that when someone has a damaged engine - you are the best in the business. But some of what you post is clearly inflammatory, alarmist, and used to generate the hysteria that fuels your business by getting the people most affected by the 'marketing' to come and do a ton of preventative work that my never have been necessary in the first place.

Signing off.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:30 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by roadsession
This is the type of nonsense post that leaves me to stop coming to Rennlist.
Jake - congrats on co inventing the IMS solution.
But it seems as the IMS failures are in sharp decline as more people have retrofitted the new bearing, or are on replacement engines, you have to obviously find a new revenue source.

I get that - you're a capitalist, not a non-profit. But I really do tire of your posts where you make KrazyK look like an optimist. You purposely use words like "tons" and "rash" etc etc - I don't know if you know this but they are alarmist in nature.

Again, I have no other evidence other than what I see posted here. A lot of what you post is very helpful. But some of what you post is clearly inflammatory, alarmist, and used to generate the hysteria that fuels your business.

Signing off.
We currently have a 13 month backlog for reconstructed engines and a 4 month repair backlog and that remains a constant.

That said, I may have invented the IMS Solution and many other things, but these items are not sold by my company. I developed them for use in my engines and then have worked with LN Engineering to sell them to others, so manufacturing them for our engines makes sense, and thats how we get the benefits, by not having to deal with manufacturing or stocking just so we can have the units for the engines we create. There's no revenue stream there for Flat 6 when these items are sold to other shops or etc.

Think as you wish, but the assumptions are off base and completely inaccurate. When you have 4 engines in one week with the exact same failure and the exact same collateral damage, thats a rash. I ran out of sugar to coat things with a long time ago.

Did you have a core for sale?
Old 02-20-2014, 11:34 AM
roadsession
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
We currently have a 13 month backlog for reconstructed engines and a 4 month repair backlog and that remains a constant.

That said, I may have invented the IMS Solution and many other things, but these items are not sold by my company. I developed them for use in my engines and then have worked with LN Engineering to sell them to others, so manufacturing them for our engines makes sense, and thats how we get the benefits, by not having to deal with manufacturing or stocking just so we can have the units for the engines we create. There's no revenue stream there for Flat 6 when these items are sold to other shops or etc.

Think as you wish, but the assumptions are off base and completely inaccurate. When you have 4 engines in one week with the exact same failure and the exact same collateral damage, thats a rash. I ran out of sugar to coat things with a long time ago.
And I guess that's the other thing - you keep saying things like how you're booked 13 months out, and that you've got transporters full of cars coming in every day etc etc, yet you're able to take in member cars here at a heart beats notice. Also how come just 3 or 4 of those hundreds of customers post here on Rennlist or Renntech? Are the others not big enough enthusiasts to post here?

Again, you are a free enterprise, and you exist to generate profit. I just wish you didn't do it in a way at the expense of scaring enthusiasts from M96 cars, and degrading current owners experience.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:36 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,402 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Tick tick boom.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:40 AM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 253 Likes on 162 Posts

Ok, I am bored at work and generally try not to get involved in these discussions, but since I got nothing else to do.

First, a relevant post:

Those motormeister cores have to be out there somewhere. From the video it looked like a lifetime supply. Did you try to call the creditors, authorites, and lawyers involved? I bet they would rather have cash than parts.

Second, an unrelated post. Gentleman we are adults, not children (I hope I fall in line with the adults, but at times I am not sure). We should be able to read the posts and make decisions for ourselves. I had the same metal in oil after IMS change problem. Jake and LN got involved through an inadvertent post I made and I was in contact with them. It prompted me to do more research with multiple other sources and I got the same story from all the experts I could find (as an aside it amazes me how much free advice experts will give - they really should charge for it). I am in the process of getting a rebuild. For financial and time reasons I am going with another shop, but I learned Flat 6 and LN are not out there trying to be inflammatory and create business, just trying to help. In reality they saved me $10,000 for free.

If people disagree with someone for God's sake I wish they would act like adults not kids. There are ways to get your point across without sounding so snarky.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:41 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 71 Likes on 48 Posts

Why do people get all upset. He has every right to post to wtb cores. Leave it at that instead your just bumping a thread. The fact is that there are a ton of these engines out there which get older by the day. So there is bound to be lots of them failing now but still low percentage compared to how many haven't.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:45 AM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by dgjks6
If people disagree with someone for God's sake I wish they would act like adults not kids. There are ways to get your point across without sounding so snarky.
Hey this is the internet and Rennlist nonetheless. However I do agree.

Also on the tick tick boom post, was that in reference to a motor blowing up or a certain individual? After all we're all humans and it's sometimes hard to maintain your composure after being beat down so many times.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:50 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

And I guess that's the other thing - you keep saying things like how you're booked 13 months out, and that you've got transporters full of cars coming in every day etc etc, yet you're able to take in member cars here at a heart beats notice.
Because I also own a storage facility where I have 2-1/2 buildings full of Porsches being held.
I have often thought of opening all the doors on the "cells" at the storage facility and walking car by car down the line "interviewing" the car and what landed it here, but guess what that would do? Create the same non sense of failure accusations thats already occurred in this thread. Why, because out of 2-1/2 buildings full of cars, TWO of the cars are here electively for our work.

We can accept a car that we may be able to save without a full reconstruction, because it may be able to be saved without a 13 month wait. In Mike's case, thats not looking to be the outcome, though as its already been diagnosed initially and is awaiting invasive diagnosis before moving on. There are times where we believe a repair can be done, but the owner either chooses to spend the money toward a full reconstruction, or they walk away from the car. In those instances it leaves holes in the repair calendar where we can turn the work around quicker. Heck this months e turned around two different intermix jobs inside of a month, just because of a hole in the repair schedule that we didn't plan for.

Also how come just 3 or 4 of those hundreds of customers post here on Rennlist or Renntech? Are the others not big enough enthusiasts to post here
Its because we very, very seldom ever receive forum posters. I ask them if they are forum members and most say no, don't know what an online forum is, or they say they just lurk. Every now and then someone is on a forum, but its not very often at all. When someone does post, it just creates animosity like other posters here have already accused in this thread, acting like the posters are not real. Perhaps those customers of ours don't like the way we are treated here and don't want to get flamed for supporting us?

Any of you guys have cores? If not, thanks for at least helping me keep this at the top of the page all morning long! Much appreciated!
Old 02-20-2014, 11:54 AM
roadsession
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
When someone does post, it just creates animosity like other posters here have already accused in this thread, acting like the posters are not real. Perhaps those customers of ours don't like the way we are treated here and don't want to get flamed for supporting us?
No. By and large, if you look at the posts who have had positive experiences with you - most everyone is supportive and I've never personally read a post where someone accuses the poster of being a marketing plant. Again - I reiterate that if you have an engine problem, you're one of the best sources to get it resolved.

The problem I have every right to express - is that I wish you wouldn't market with such an alarmist tone that it degrades the M96 platform ownership experience, and scares off other potential enthusiasts.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:55 AM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Jake... put down the coffee and back away from the keyboard.

Unless you just start giving away repairs for free some will always question your motives. Know that the vast majority of us recognize your good intention and understand that you are also a businessman. Just let it go.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:57 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,402 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Originally Posted by alpine003
Also on the tick tick boom post, was that in reference to a motor blowing up or a certain individual? After all we're all humans and it's sometimes hard to maintain your composure after being beat down so many times.
That was Mr Raby's tag line for his ads a few years back.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:59 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

The problem I have every right to express - is that I wish you wouldn't market with such an alarmist tone that it degrades the M96 platform ownership experience, and scares off other potential enthusiasts.
I have much more to gain if no one is alarmed. When alarmed people will act and apply preventives, when blind sighted, they ship us the engine.

Its impossible to do this work at our level and see nothing but serious issues and NOT have this attitude about the engines. Trust me, I share one hell of a lot less than I could.

Having developed multiple preventive measures and having researched common failures has HELPED the value of these cars. If there were no fixes for these big issues the values would be MUCH less, because no one would buy them. I was once contacted by 60 Minutes about this topic, after their Cameraman's Boxster engine failed at 31K miles. I told them HELL NO! If that would have happened you couldn't give away one of these cars.

That was Mr Raby's tag line for his ads a few years back.
It was by far the most effective ad we've ever done.. It was the last ad that was ever published for my engine program and that was in 2009. We don't have to advertise engine services, the demand finds us, mostly through PCA or word of mouth. Hell, if we could handle more work I'd run that ad again... And to think, the ad agency told me that it would never work, because it was my idea.
Old 02-20-2014, 12:42 PM
bretm
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I try not to get involved in this stuff either, but man, threads like this are what makes the Corvette Forum basically unreadable. My summer daily driver is a C6 Z06 and every other post in the Z06 section is a head rebuilder telling you how your engine is going to drop a valve at 7k rpm and lunchbox the whole deal.

Flat-6, just my $.02... you guys seem like a great shop who does quality work. Folks will come without scare tactics. IMS failures are still a relatively anomaly from a statistical perspective, especially if replaced at clutch replacement intervals.

Quick Reply: We Need Engine Cores! A rash of huge failures leaves our core bank "Bankrupt"!