996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

996 Stereo Upgrades in Here

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2024 | 11:03 AM
jim010
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NewbieFromNY
Educate me. What's the sounds better more features part and the apps?

Mines got 18 band EQ, Wireless Android Auto mirrors my phone perfectly and no wires.

And wireless remote if I want to use.

I'm just trying to see why folks are going with this chinese unit, I'm really asking a valid questions..

To me it seems like (i read so many posts throughout the web with BOSE MOST challenges with our cars) and it seems like everyone is jumping on the Sadocom bandwagon, even myself contacted them directly and they "salesman" me in saying they won't sell the working module without me buying the deck.

Thats when i knew you can just buy any double din deck and get it to work on our cars. I bought 2 modules off Amazon, tested them and the blue one worked perfectly. Its in my car now, with the optical module running the BOSE amp.

Dont be limited on your options with this Sadocon "hit and run" deck. If you have a problem your screwed. "Poof" the company disappears, like they all do.

Reading so many posts the Sadocom gets hot and overheats. Melted wires and even caused fires.

The point is you are not limited. I proved that in my point with my thread I posted:

BOSE MOST OPTICAL MODULE WORKS USE ANY DECK

​​I get it.. those who have it installed and are backing it as the best thing since sliced bread, because you believe that was the only working solution..You were cornered into buying the unit... that's so untrue.
You can install Pioneer, Kenwood, Boss , whatever headunit you want. Cheaper and much more stable. Radio decks made by companies in the business over 40 years...

The Sadocom is a android device and that means it needs lots of power to run and gets hot. And when the company disappears and no more upgrades to some random glitch that has been identified (im a android phone user myself) your screwed. Android units (phones/tablets) are always being upgraded due to some glitch. You want a frozen Sadocom stuck in recovery mode and wait for a random email from a random person across the world to help you with no real solution. They made their sale, you're screwed..

Get a stable deck and let your phone properly be updated by its carrier/manufacturer that feeds to your deck. Relying on a email based outfit with no history is just crazy talk.

Folks get a double din reputable deck of your choice that has WIRELESS Apple Car Play/ Android Auto and your phone is tied to the unit if you want it to be. Waze, Pandora, whatever installed on your phone will be on the deck, stable. Without any glitches.

Solid EQ and crossovers built in. And RCA outs for sub and rear camera.

If I ever you have a problem with my deck, I just call and get it swapped by Pioneer same day.

Dont be fooled we are stuck at all with Sadocom.
The unit is crap and its not going to last, and my Pioneer will be still going strong for years to come.

Lastly, I read folks wanting to goto an installer and install the Sadocom. I respect folks not installing themselves. However many many installers don't want to touch that unit let alone throw out outrageous install prices. There's a reason why...

Final words:
When that cheap radio **** stops working, you're screwed. I've seen the unit installed. I give that volume **** 1 year and it's gonna be toast with normal usage. Dealing with 'someone' across the world to only reply random times without even a ticket number alone (or a phone number) only because they manufacturered X amount of units is a red flag and have to dump them...Sooner or later that email address is gonna go
undeliverable and Sadocom customers are gonna be pissed. And that's a fact.

Plus my way was even cheaper lol
Awesome that you are happy with your decision. Enjoy your Pioneer! I am happy with my decision and will enjoy my Aliexpress.

Cheers
The following 3 users liked this post by jim010:
911Dreamer (04-24-2024), allcool (04-04-2024), NewbieFromNY (04-04-2024)
Old 04-04-2024 | 05:44 PM
danix
Rennlist Member

Educate me. What's the sounds better more features part and the apps?
Some (not all) the Android units have newer chipsets with better audio than your Sony/Pioneer stuff. That's the sounds better.
More features - you can run android apps. For example, an OBD2 diagnostic, a skidpad type (Torque) and a lot more.
The screen is generally bigger, and in many cases it looks better.
I'm not jumping on a Sadocom bandwagon, I have simply installed these units in at least 4 of my BMWs and my Toyota Tundra.
Yes, they all have flaws, but they are cheap and generally work very well.
In the 996 case, I wanted the look of the PCCM+ without spending $1500 and having a more open platform to boot.
I have yet to see another head unit I'd want in my 996 besides these two. They just don't look right to me.

The following users liked this post:
allcool (04-04-2024)
Old 04-04-2024 | 08:03 PM
NewbieFromNY
Instructor

Originally Posted by danix
Some (not all) the Android units have newer chipsets with better audio than your Sony/Pioneer stuff. That's the sounds better.
More features - you can run android apps. For example, an OBD2 diagnostic, a skidpad type (Torque) and a lot more.
The screen is generally bigger, and in many cases it looks better.
I'm not jumping on a Sadocom bandwagon, I have simply installed these units in at least 4 of my BMWs and my Toyota Tundra.
Yes, they all have flaws, but they are cheap and generally work very well.
In the 996 case, I wanted the look of the PCCM+ without spending $1500 and having a more open platform to boot.
I have yet to see another head unit I'd want in my 996 besides these two. They just don't look right to me.
i respect that. Keep in mind the new decks mirror your phone apps if you need. Any app

As for sound I can cut frequencies and the EQ. I let the bose handle the sub crossover.
Old 04-05-2024 | 03:07 AM
juankimalo
Burning Brakes

In my case i got this so clear!

I will install the PCM Chinese as a head unit

The Audio System will be powered by a DSP amplifier and pretty much better quality speakers with door deadening. You don't need to spend a lot of money
If you do it in a smart way your 996 will have a superß sound system

The chinese PCM will provide you a flexible and multiple option unit.
Old 04-05-2024 | 10:46 AM
jim010
Burning Brakes

FYI, the Porsche PCCM+ is a chinese android.
The following 2 users liked this post by jim010:
911Dreamer (04-24-2024), allcool (04-05-2024)
Old 04-05-2024 | 11:26 AM
brontosaurus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

the whinging about CHINESE parts is extremely funny to me.

Old 04-05-2024 | 12:12 PM
Idaho911
Burning Brakes

Anyone know of a Chinese/knockoff single DIN PCCM unit? Like the one for the 993?
Old 04-05-2024 | 12:28 PM
juankimalo
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by brontosaurus
the whinging about CHINESE parts is extremely funny to me.

Yes I know!!!
haha
Old 04-05-2024 | 03:25 PM
danix
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Thomash
Question 1. I connected to red wire from camera to one of the pink wire. Don’t connect together and check when you put car on reverse. You need to also connect power to the camera.
Question 2. The long red wire needs to be connected to the ignition switch power. There’s a connector underneath the heater controls that is for an unused phone that can be used. It’s the green wire.
To address the above.
1. I connected the 3rd wire off the harness (pink, labelled reverse) to one end of the red camera wire. The camera will only work if you apply 12v to the other end of the camera wire, AND connect 12v to the red wire for the power plug. This is not usually needed with a canbus box.
2. The long red wire already has 12v on it and ABSOLUTELY should not be connected to ignition power. It already has power.

I will post pics for both of the above soon.
Old 04-05-2024 | 03:48 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by brontosaurus
whinging .
^^^
You will now be referred to as "brontothesaurus".
The following 2 users liked this post by ZuffenZeus:
brontosaurus (04-07-2024), damage98MO (04-07-2024)
Old 04-05-2024 | 10:13 PM
SoCal911t
Rennlist Member

Old 04-06-2024 | 04:04 AM
Laurence Gibbs
Racer

Originally Posted by danix
To address the above.
1. I connected the 3rd wire off the harness (pink, labelled reverse) to one end of the red camera wire. The camera will only work if you apply 12v to the other end of the camera wire, AND connect 12v to the red wire for the power plug. This is not usually needed with a canbus box.
2. The long red wire already has 12v on it and ABSOLUTELY should not be connected to ignition power. It already has power.

I will post pics for both of the above soon.
So there may be more than one configuration of these harnesses so I'm open minded , however on my harness the long red wire is connected to pin A3 in the power plug ! It's spiced together with the red wire to the canbus adapter and pin A7 on plug A which is 12v ACC . So if your original radio harness does not support 12v ACC at pin A7 on plug A , as I know mine an 04 UK car with originally pcm 2 does not , there will be no 12v on pin A7 or on the power plug pin a3 unless you have a working canbus adapter . If you have neither a working canbus adapter and no connection from the radio side the long red wire can be used to connect to the 12v ACC at the phone prep plug. Hope this makes sense .if you do happen to have a working canbus adapter please do let me know the model (written on the box) and the protocol it's running ( found in factory settings under car make below original car agreement) . Pw3368

Last edited by Laurence Gibbs; 04-06-2024 at 04:11 AM.
Old 04-23-2024 | 03:01 PM
danix
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Laurence Gibbs
So there may be more than one configuration of these harnesses so I'm open minded , however on my harness the long red wire is connected to pin A3 in the power plug ! It's spiced together with the red wire to the canbus adapter and pin A7 on plug A which is 12v ACC . So if your original radio harness does not support 12v ACC at pin A7 on plug A , as I know mine an 04 UK car with originally pcm 2 does not , there will be no 12v on pin A7 or on the power plug pin a3 unless you have a working canbus adapter . If you have neither a working canbus adapter and no connection from the radio side the long red wire can be used to connect to the 12v ACC at the phone prep plug. Hope this makes sense .if you do happen to have a working canbus adapter please do let me know the model (written on the box) and the protocol it's running ( found in factory settings under car make below original car agreement) . Pw3368
Yes. The radio actually comes with 2 harnesses, only one was proper for my car/config.
My install is complete and it works, but I have noticed two problems,
1) I have no illumination - need to check that connection/wire.
2) The unit loses time (at least, haven't checked for presets etc) so it seems it's not getting 12v constant.
I am still not sure if my canbus is working right but if you want to compare notes sometime, PM me and mabe we can arrange a whatsapp call.
Old 04-23-2024 | 03:17 PM
NewbieFromNY
Instructor

Use the phone harness to tap into 12v 12v aux and ground.
Old 04-23-2024 | 03:20 PM
danix
Rennlist Member

Use the phone harness to tap into 12v 12v aux and ground.
Yeah but the red wire on the radio that is supposed to be used for this is already hot.

Quick Reply: 996 Stereo Upgrades in Here