996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

996 Stereo Upgrades in Here

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2024, 01:46 PM
Shatz Attack
5th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had the Blaupunkt installed 48 hours before I attended a Porsche & Pastries in Chicagoland last Saturday, left the keys in the ignition, but off. Came back a while later to the radio playing, threw me for a loop, lol. Need to remember it's a long 'push' to turn it off.
Old 05-10-2024, 01:56 PM
cqhall
Rennlist Member

Received 174 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Shatz Attack
I had the Blaupunkt installed 48 hours before I attended a Porsche & Pastries in Chicagoland last Saturday, left the keys in the ignition, but off. Came back a while later to the radio playing, threw me for a loop, lol. Need to remember it's a long 'push' to turn it off.
That shouldn't have happened. Did you wire it to 12V switched power? I tapped into the unused wired telephone harness for 12V switched power.
Old 05-29-2024, 02:16 AM
Jgodreau1
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, somewhat new here and just wanted to say thank you to all that have posted in this thread. The information has been very helpful to someone getting started with a project. Only problem has been that it took me a little over 2 hours to read all the posts LOL. Please keep on sharing the knowledge!!!

Last edited by Jgodreau1; 05-29-2024 at 04:04 AM.
Old 05-29-2024, 03:09 AM
Jgodreau1
5th Gear

Sorry for this post, did it by mistake and can't figure out how to erase it.

Last edited by Jgodreau1; 05-29-2024 at 04:05 AM.
Old 05-29-2024, 03:49 AM
Jgodreau1
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Quaz
I decided to go a different route on my car and replaced the double din I had with an Atoto A6. This is a full Android Auto head unit that can be customized like any Android tablet, but also runs carplay. One draw to it was the ability to run torque for OBD stats realtime. Also the interface is completely customizable. If I wanted I could add TPMS sensors as well. This brings my 99 up to having all the features of a new car.

Quaz, how has your experience with Atoto regarding reliability and quality? I'm looking at one of their S8 units. Thank you!
Old 05-29-2024, 04:02 AM
Jgodreau1
5th Gear

Originally Posted by allcool
Just installed a android ATOTO head unit in my 2002_996.2.

Definitely not a most system in 02.

Got a Metra install kit from amazon and a wiring kit from some other Amazon china company.
Plugged in the connectors including the rca for subs, all rca outs to all available inputs and all speaker wires to corresponding speaker connections(paying particular attention to the +/- on the wires/plugs. There were no rear speaker wires coming from the car adapter plug, but the head had all 8 speaker wires. So not using the rear outputs from the head unit.

Started it up and even without the rears, its sound great. OEM Amp is working good, and the door speakers seem to be the woofers. Was going to change out the speakers but it sounds so good not going to touch them.

Will try to get the rear/fader to work, might have to find the rear wires at the amp and patch in the head rear speaker wires..? But for now, just plug and play,,, surprising how clear and clean it sounds, not clipping, no distortion at all, I'm truly amazed as the 996.1 I did was terrible till I changed out the speakers.

Amazed how powerful the ATOTO android A6pf, with 996.2 2002 oem amp is. Can't turn up the volume more than 1/3 or its ear shattering. and the door speakers boom bass amazingly well for there size. Atoto seems fast, responds instantly, wireless connects to my s22android auto immediately and my girls iphone car play fast. And was half the money my other slooow head unit was in the 996.1

Now take all this with a grain of salt as I'm not a audiohead, or media system install expert at all.

jmo

allcool, how has your experience been with Atoto regarding reliability and quality? Curious, I'm looking at one of their S8 models. Thank you!
Old 06-06-2024, 04:45 AM
juankimalo
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

Hi guys

Here you have my inputs about the new Car Audio system I installed in my 996 (It's a translation from Soloporsche.com , spanish forum, so apologies if something is not perfectly translated)

A) 7" Android Auto/Apple CarPlay Car Stereo PCCM Style Ref. 7862 (8GB RAM + 128GB ROM)

1. Quality and Appearance: The radio has decent and acceptable quality. The fit is not perfect and the integration is not seamless like an original Porsche PCCM+. The buttons are well-made, and the two volume and selection ***** are appreciated because they are not touch-sensitive (I dislike touch volume controls; they often fail and distract you). Luis Nieto from IDECARS PERFORMANCE had quite a task to fit it properly into its slot.
2. Screen: The 7" screen feels small compared to the 10" screen in my VW Golf 7, but it serves its purpose well. The brightness and resolution are adequate.
3. Functionality: With minimal adjustments, it is quick and stable. The interface is intuitive. The Bluetooth connection with the iPhone is stable and error-free. I have played audio tracks both via Bluetooth directly from the phone to the Android functions of the device and from Spotify via Apple CarPlay. Both methods work fine. In the former, the volume can be controlled from the phone; in CarPlay, it is controlled by the radio's volume ****.
4. Software: The operating system appears to be Android 12, though Android 13 has been out for a while. Thanks to a significant contribution from our colleague @Samer (user in soloporsche), who provided a file with an update that improves the operating system, integrates the physical buttons with custom functions, and removes unnecessary clutter, the configuration has significantly improved. For those with model 7862, I recommend obtaining the file from Samer. He provides step-by-step instructions that are very detailed and easy to follow. I am not sure if this radio can accommodate future updates.

B) Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)
Earlier, I started a thread seeking advice on integrating this functionality into the 996. Apart from USB screen devices and a few other gadgets, I found little that interested me. However, I found this Kit on Aliexpress.

In my case, I went to Neumáticos Gonmo, my trusted tire shop near Madrid, and they installed the four internal rim sensors without removing the tires (balancing was not necessary, at least for my car). IDECARS used one of the two available USB ports on the radio, hidden behind the lower part of the climate control area, to connect a black rectangular "module" that links via Bluetooth with the valve sensors. The second USB port is for direct updates, software, connecting the phone via cable, etc., and it has been installed inside the central armrest glove compartment. There, we connected a red USB drive that comes with the TPMS kit, containing the software to install the app on the Android radio. Once the installation is complete, the sensors connect immediately.

C) Audio Upgrade Installation
Luis collaborates regularly with Juanjo from JC Audio Getafe. They are good friends and have competed in Car Audio contests multiple times.

1. Speaker Setup:
- As you know, it has Alpine component speakers (S2S40C 4-inch midrange + tweeter) installed in the dashboard and rear side panels.
- In both doors, we installed 5.25" Ground Zero GZTC 130.2X woofers. These were chosen because they handle mid and bass ranges well within the premium component speaker options of the same diameter as the stock ones. A 6.5" setup with an adapter could be installed, but the gain is minimal, and alternatives like this woofer are more practical. Luis and Juanjo, being experts, find the most suitable options for each system.
- For powerful bass, subwoofers are necessary. Given the 996's configuration, it is impossible to install them under the seat (they don't fit), and custom enclosures are impractical. Thus, we opted for a pair of Rebec Audio U6.9 self-amplified subwoofers mounted in parallel behind the rear seatbacks and hidden with custom upholstered wood.
2. Installation Details: Everything was re-cabled from scratch, eliminating the original fiber optics and soundproofing the entire doors.
3. System 'Engine': An 8-channel DSP amplifier with 2 Pre-out channels from Rebec Audio model RPX B10S was installed.
- Each dashboard tweeter gets one channel, each 4" midrange another, and each door woofer another, totaling six channels. The rear component speakers share a channel, and the two Pre-out channels feed the rear subwoofers. Everything is finely tuned for timing, phase, etc. The sound is set to zero flat, as music is supposed to be heard, but personal adjustments can be made. The setup, handled by an expert, delivers phenomenal sound quality.
4. Result: Exceptional sound quality! The first song I played was "Thunderstruck" by AC/DC, and it was impressive. Various tracks from a playlist I created for sound testing sounded fantastic. Some songs with strong bass were intense, and at full volume, there was minimal rear reverberation. Other tracks with less bass sounded smooth even at full volume. The 996 is not an easy car to set up, but the DSP tuning is excellent. The sound feels like the singer is right on the dashboard, and the subwoofers deliver bass as if they are right there. The setup process involves using a professional microphone to measure each speaker's distance so the sound reaches the driver's position simultaneously, adjusting each speaker's phase, etc., all done by a seasoned installer with a trained ear.

I recommend anyone who enjoys good music to consider upgrading their car audio system. For me, it has been worth it.

Our good friend @navarroracing, although far away, has been a great help in this project. From the start, he tried to find a cost-effective solution with good results. He once gave me an excellent quote for soundproofing the doors and installing 6.5" woofers. If he were closer, I would have definitely gone to him. His solution is well-balanced and reasonably priced. He knows Alpine and the 996 very well, and his attention to detail is exquisite.

Note: Why Rebec Audio? This brand is relatively unknown. Brands like Gladen, Audison, Hertz, Eton, Focal, Ground Zero, Mosconi, Helix, and Rockford Fosgate are some of the premium names in the car audio world. More common brands like Alpine, Blaupunkt, Pioneer, and Kenwood make good products, but the ones I mentioned are more specialized and typically higher-end. Price is also a factor. Rebec Audio is a top-tier brand, manufactured in China, in the high-end car audio range. It offers excellent construction and a fantastic balance in all components. Just because it’s made in China doesn’t mean it’s inferior. They manufacture everything according to quality standards, and as I mentioned, it's very good. Juanjo from JC Audio is the exclusive distributor for Spain and prefers installing Rebec in many cars over other brands. He has had excellent results with it, and the price is very competitive. A good friend had a complete Rebec system installed in his Golf GTI, and I was amazed at the quality. Luis Nieto also uses this brand and recently installed a complete system in a Mercedes S-Class with outstanding results.

D) Rear Camera
Instead of installing the one I received from eBay, which is a cube that mounts on the bumper, Luis installed a high-quality camera with excellent resolution that I am quite satisfied with at first glance. This is something the original Porsche PCCM+ does not support.

E) Bluetooth Phone
This is one of the major drawbacks. When I talk to someone, they do not hear me clearly, and it sounds a bit "distant." Despite integrating the microphone correctly, the call quality is not as good as the radio Android Auto in my Golf 7, where calls are also not very clear.

Regarding the radio, aside from integrating Samer's software, I haven't made any adjustments yet, and there are many to explore. Unlike the original Porsche unit, it supports many more functions, though some are not very well executed. This is something each person must evaluate.

F) Other Considerations:
- The 996.2 xenon headlights used to light up adequately, but now with LED bulbs, it feels like daytime. NavarroRacing was right. A great improvement.
- After uninstalling the anti-theft detector module, the battery consumption seems to have decreased.
- The rear center console, which I poorly painted, now looks as good as if it came factory-finished by Porsche. Sanding down my multiple layers by hand and applying five professional painter coats made a huge difference.
- With the original equipment removed, the 6-CD changer, phone module, and Becker amplifier are available. The PCM still works, but the CD reader is damaged. I had mistakenly inserted a map CD while a music CD was inside, ruining the reader. I gave it to Luis for spare parts.

- The double USB port for charging phones, installed in place of the cigarette lighter, has a relay (important) because the lighter's connection is constant. Without modification, it would always be on and illuminate the LED. I plan to paint the white connection black for better concealment. These are 3.0 fast charging ports.

By the way, I got carried away... our friend @Schwen started this thread just wanting to install better speakers in the 996 dashboard. And wow! I ended up diving into a full setup.

Well, that's the end of my detailed account...

If anyone wants more details, feel free to PM me. I won't discuss prices. There are many reputable installers in Spain. I am extremely satisfied with the service from IDECARS, which has also solved many issues with the 996. Perfectionist and great person!

PS: My Spotify playlist for testing audio quality includes a variety of tracks from Pavarotti to AC/DC, and covers a wide range of frequencies. Feel free to use it:
(https://open.spotify.com/playlist/5y...6622f1153040ec)

Last edited by juankimalo; 06-06-2024 at 04:49 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by juankimalo:
996love (06-06-2024), PBradz (06-06-2024), Shatz Attack (06-06-2024), ssherman68 (06-07-2024)
Old 06-07-2024, 12:30 AM
junior23
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 11 Posts

Just installed this $30 Aliexpress touchscreen stereo that has Bluetooth and wired apple carplay and android auto. I like how it still looks somewhat period correct and not too modern. So far everything works like it should and sound quality using the factory Nokia amp is the same, if not better than the CDR-220.

One downside is that there is no amber color selection.

Old 06-07-2024, 02:12 AM
visuvius
AutoX

Great info in this thread -- there is a lot to take in. I've still got some questions/things I need to confirm if possible:

1) I've got a 2003 966 Turbo. This model will for sure have the Bose/MOST system, correct?

2) If I want to install the Blaupunkt Frankfurt, or the AliExpress PCCM knockoff, or any other radio really, I'll need some kind of adapter that talks to the MOST system, but if I do this, I lose some kind of functionality? Can someone explain what exactly you lose?

3) For the AliExpress radio, the seller Sadocom offers a "Bose Fiber Optic Box" but I think I read in this thread that for the 2003 model year, that box does not work and a different one from Amazon must be used. Do I have this right?

Thanks all!
Old 06-07-2024, 02:46 AM
juankimalo
Burning Brakes

I lost the Porsche info when installing the "Chinese PCCM"
I don't need that info indeed and you can use the RPM Gauge display to see that.

I removed all the fiber optic MOST and installed good quality oxygen free wiring for car audio specific
Old 06-07-2024, 09:26 AM
cqhall
Rennlist Member

Received 174 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by visuvius
Great info in this thread -- there is a lot to take in. I've still got some questions/things I need to confirm if possible:

1) I've got a 2003 966 Turbo. This model will for sure have the Bose/MOST system, correct?

2) If I want to install the Blaupunkt Frankfurt, or the AliExpress PCCM knockoff, or any other radio really, I'll need some kind of adapter that talks to the MOST system, but if I do this, I lose some kind of functionality? Can someone explain what exactly you lose?

3) For the AliExpress radio, the seller Sadocom offers a "Bose Fiber Optic Box" but I think I read in this thread that for the 2003 model year, that box does not work and a different one from Amazon must be used. Do I have this right?

Thanks all!
I don't know what you'll need to incorporate the MOST system and BOSE amp as that stuff was disconnected by the previous owner of my car. That stuff has been documented somewhere for sure.

But, if you currently have a double din system, you may have to convert to a single din system to use the Blaupunkt Frankfurt like I did here: https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...do-i-need.html I had to buy some brackets from Porsche and whatnot.

I'm very happy with my setup and the extra cubbys provide me a nice place to stash my phone, garage door clicker (I hate having it on the sun visor), and misc stuff.

Personally, I think the minimal in-car entertainment system suits vibe of the car.
Old 06-07-2024, 07:15 PM
marshcroft
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by visuvius

Thanks all!
I installed the aliexpress unit on my 2003 C4S Bose Most
1.) Yes more than likely same as my c4S you need the optical decoder box
2.) Only functionality I have lost to my knowledge is
A.) Cant use fader for front rear so preset you fader before removing old head unit, balance left and right works fine as optic box is only 2 channel.
b) for the button led lights to illuminate when i turn the lights on the car, i set in the settings for them to turn on with ignition power and its fine doesnt bother me if they are on like that, after all the old headunit was like that anyway.
3.) I bought the optical box from sadocom also I should also state i bought the snapdragon model it runs cooler and some people were posting high temps on their units mine stays nice and cool.
People were stating the black optical box will shut off audio after 10 seconds and there is a potential work around using a different optical cable or to get the blue box, I ordered a blue box also and as I had both when I did my install I just used the blue box. Can be found on Amazon or cheap out like I did and order it from aliexpress.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_msuDw1g

Finally you will need some shims if you don't have a cage installed I modeled and 3d printed them and put the stl file up on thingiverse.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:6638973

If you have a single din unit the hvac needs to be moved to the bottom and they tell you to buy a new bezel and shelf which is about $110 for both or just buy the Metra kit that comes with it for $30 which fits perfectly so no need for the bezel or shelf

https://a.co/d/b0emZHR

Some people have hacked away at that cage to fit a .2 I just got mine after the install so haven't bothered with that yet

there wasn't any instructions on installation but this site guided me and more than happy to assist you if you go down this path its very simple when you know how.

I will say this the headunit is decent it is far more powerful than the official PCCM+ for a fraction of the cost and has wireless android auto and carplay, lots of memory if you don't want to use your phone and have native apps installed. The sound is very impressive compared to my old unit.

Last edited by marshcroft; 06-07-2024 at 07:23 PM. Reason: Missed hyperlink
Old 06-07-2024, 08:14 PM
visuvius
AutoX

Originally Posted by marshcroft
I installed the aliexpress unit on my 2003 C4S Bose Most
1.) Yes more than likely same as my c4S you need the optical decoder box
2.) Only functionality I have lost to my knowledge is
A.) Cant use fader for front rear so preset you fader before removing old head unit, balance left and right works fine as optic box is only 2 channel.
b) for the button led lights to illuminate when i turn the lights on the car, i set in the settings for them to turn on with ignition power and its fine doesnt bother me if they are on like that, after all the old headunit was like that anyway.
3.) I bought the optical box from sadocom also I should also state i bought the snapdragon model it runs cooler and some people were posting high temps on their units mine stays nice and cool.
People were stating the black optical box will shut off audio after 10 seconds and there is a potential work around using a different optical cable or to get the blue box, I ordered a blue box also and as I had both when I did my install I just used the blue box. Can be found on Amazon or cheap out like I did and order it from aliexpress.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_msuDw1g

Finally you will need some shims if you don't have a cage installed I modeled and 3d printed them and put the stl file up on thingiverse.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:6638973

If you have a single din unit the hvac needs to be moved to the bottom and they tell you to buy a new bezel and shelf which is about $110 for both or just buy the Metra kit that comes with it for $30 which fits perfectly so no need for the bezel or shelf

https://a.co/d/b0emZHR

Some people have hacked away at that cage to fit a .2 I just got mine after the install so haven't bothered with that yet

there wasn't any instructions on installation but this site guided me and more than happy to assist you if you go down this path its very simple when you know how.

I will say this the headunit is decent it is far more powerful than the official PCCM+ for a fraction of the cost and has wireless android auto and carplay, lots of memory if you don't want to use your phone and have native apps installed. The sound is very impressive compared to my old unit.
This was very helpful thank you. I'm still trying to decide between the Frankfurt and the Chinese PCCM. If I finally get PM ability, I may reach out. Thanks!
Old 06-09-2024, 07:29 AM
juankimalo
Burning Brakes

Last edited by juankimalo; 06-09-2024 at 08:28 AM.
Old 06-09-2024, 08:28 AM
juankimalo
Burning Brakes

Quick Reply: 996 Stereo Upgrades in Here