996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

996 Stereo Upgrades in Here

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2024, 04:47 PM
SLOWPOKEMD
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I just installed the aliexpress headunit... I followed the instructions on this thread and thought I would try to pay it forward with my observations that may help someone else....

MY CAR: 2002 996 turbo 6spd (BOSE, non-MOST); had a pre-existing double-din headunit with rear-view camera that I installed 12-ish years ago.

Almost plug and play.
  • Audio out L/R RCA cables to L/R RCA cables... I didn't use LOC or splitters. Not sure if I have fader capability, but I don't use it anyway. Sound is great and comes out of all my speakers, as far as I can tell.
  • Amp blue line to amp blue line... prewired with male and female plug (required to get sound).
  • Green square plug to green square plug (not sure what this does or if connecting these is necessary, but I did).
The only modification required was to get illumination as described in the thread....
  • briefly, the orange wire goes from black harness power plug and into the 6th position in the large radio harness.... i cut the orange wire it in the middle and the part going into the white plug is left dangling.
  • there are two harnesses provided, but you only need one. I took a connecting pin from the other harness and connected that to the orange wire.
A few observations:
  • Red ACC line (long wire) - this did not need to be connected for me. In fact, when I did connect it to a switched 12V, the engine wouldn't shut off unless I fully removed the key (no good).
  • Reverse line for rear camera goes to male plug (leave female dangling)
  • Radio antenna - there is a small metal plug adapter to go from factory radio antenna into headunit. I think the antenna with the wires is for a powered antenna, which I do not have and so did not use this.
  • I didn't connect 4G antenna
  • There is a bunch of other stuff not needed: eg - there is a separate harness for CANBUS and another module for BOSE-MOST that I did not use (PS - for the illumination, I removed a pin from this CANBUS harness to use in my harness).
So almost plug and play. Works great.
Thanks for this thread for helping me figure it out... hopefully the above helps someone with the same BOST/pre-MOST car.
Now just working on settings...
The following users liked this post:
Zhu (06-27-2024)
Old 06-13-2024, 07:30 AM
juankimalo
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts

Hi guys

This is my 996 Carrera

This man is Juanjo (JC Audio CEO)

He is one of the best Car Audio Installers in Europe, indeed he won a lot of prizes in Car Audio Competitions. He has a very special sense and thanks God he has incredible "Ears".
He promised me to record a video for his channel using my car as an example.
You can go to settings > subtitles > Language > english to understand it

The following 3 users liked this post by juankimalo:
cqhall (06-13-2024), parris (06-18-2024), PBradz (07-20-2024)
Old 06-13-2024, 01:49 PM
jim010
Burning Brakes

Received 192 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by juankimalo
How do you get the start up screen and background?
Old 06-14-2024, 01:42 AM
juankimalo
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts

Hi

You can contact directly this guy: smrpr (his nick name)
@smrpr
He designed a dedicated upgrade software which includes start up screen, background, deletes several unuseful Android apps and finally It configures the lower
physical buttons to be dedicated for Music and Maps
PBradz (07-20-2024)
Old 06-16-2024, 10:19 AM
blightyusa
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 32 Posts

Hi all. Does anyone know of US alternative to the bergvillfx iso stereo adapter? I'd like to see if I can get one quicker and without $30 shipping. Thanks.
Old 06-17-2024, 10:47 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,049 Posts

Originally Posted by blightyusa
Hi all. Does anyone know of US alternative to the bergvillfx iso stereo adapter? I'd like to see if I can get one quicker and without $30 shipping. Thanks.
What are you attempting to do? I usually don't recommend HI/LO converters if it can be avoided. Are you buying a Continental unit or trying something different?
Old 06-17-2024, 10:51 AM
blightyusa
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 32 Posts

Hey, yes I should clarify. I am connecting a Continental TR7412UB-OR to a 1999 C2. With the connections shown in the image below:
Old 06-17-2024, 02:07 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,049 Posts

Originally Posted by blightyusa
Hey, yes I should clarify. I am connecting a Continental TR7412UB-OR to a 1999 C2.
IMHO, if you have your mind made up on the Continental, then I would recommend biting the bullet and getting the Bergvill that matches your amplifier. I'm assuming you have a M490? Just make sure you get the right ISO harness. This is the one for M490 amps...
https://www.bergvillfx.com/products/...96boxster-m490

Now on the other hand, if sound quality is more of a priority with the classic Porsche look, then skip the HI/LO converters needed for units like the Continental and purchase the Blaupunkt that has true pre-amp LINE-LEVEL output via RCA plugs.

You'll need the Metra wire harness to connect the YELLOW plug to the RCA pre-amp outputs that feeds the amp.
https://www.crutchfield.com/S-txE2BZ...gaAn1LEALw_wcB

The Blaupunkt Frankfurt supports direct connection to the black ISO A plug.

The following 2 users liked this post by ZuffenZeus:
cqhall (06-27-2024), wyowolf (06-17-2024)
Old 06-27-2024, 02:32 PM
Dfvera
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by danix
So since I need to replace it anyway, I went ahead and took a dremel to my frame. Now there's not enough to hold the damn radio in place. I'm going to have to fabricate something.
Hey... I'm facing the same problem with my Boxster 986. There's no place to secure the radio cage inside the dash after cutting the frame with the Dremmel. What was your solution? Thanks!
Old 06-27-2024, 02:54 PM
cqhall
Rennlist Member

Received 208 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Dfvera
Hey... I'm facing the same problem with my Boxster 986. There's no place to secure the radio cage inside the dash after cutting the frame with the Dremmel. What was your solution? Thanks!
I’m driving now (in a parking lot). Find my recent posts in this thread and I link to my thread where I installed the Blaupunkt Frankfurt. The parts you need are listed there.
Old 06-27-2024, 03:03 PM
danix
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 29 Posts

I ended up gluing small blocks of wood to the radio, then screwing down into them through the frame. It's a hack, but it worked. Then I just put the whole frame into the dash as a single piece.
I will try to find pictures and upload them. I might have done a video too.
Dfvera (06-27-2024)
Old 06-27-2024, 03:05 PM
danix
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by juankimalo
Hi

You can contact directly this guy: smrpr (his nick name)
@smrpr
He designed a dedicated upgrade software which includes start up screen, background, deletes several unuseful Android apps and finally It configures the lower
physical buttons to be dedicated for Music and Maps
I got the software from the member above and it worked great. Well worth the small fee.
Old 06-27-2024, 03:13 PM
cqhall
Rennlist Member

Received 208 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by cqhall
I’m driving now (in a parking lot). Find my recent posts in this thread and I link to my thread where I installed the Blaupunkt Frankfurt. The parts you need are listed there.
Here it is: https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...-i-need-2.html

edit: Maybe I misunderstood the problem.

Last edited by cqhall; 06-27-2024 at 07:07 PM.
Old 06-27-2024, 04:59 PM
Dfvera
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by danix
I ended up gluing small blocks of wood to the radio, then screwing down into them through the frame. It's a hack, but it worked. Then I just put the whole frame into the dash as a single piece.
I will try to find pictures and upload them. I might have done a video too.
Thanks. I'd love to see what you've done, because I'm kind of stumped about a decent solution. I was hoping not to have to hack it (eg. gluing blocks of wood!), but perhaps that's the only option. Sadocom support has been useless -- absolutely useless.

There's no way to secure the installation cage to the radio unit. And then there's no way to secure the cage to the inside of the dashboard.

My only other consideration is to flip the OEM metal bracket around to so that it's forward facing and can kind of cradle the unit... somehow (see red arrow in attached pic). Ugh. What a PITA!

Old 06-30-2024, 10:23 AM
danix
Rennlist Member

Thanks. I'd love to see what you've done, because I'm kind of stumped about a decent solution. I was hoping not to have to hack it (eg. gluing blocks of wood!), but perhaps that's the only option. Sadocom support has been useless -- absolutely useless.

There's no way to secure the installation cage to the radio unit. And then there's no way to secure the cage to the inside of the dashboard.

My only other consideration is to flip the OEM metal bracket around to so that it's forward facing and can kind of cradle the unit... somehow (see red arrow in attached pic). Ugh. What a PITA!
I would not flip it around. I'm still searching for pictures but essentially if you hold the radio in place where you want it, inside of the black plastic bracket, visualize where the connections would be.
I used small blocks of wood (could have 3D printed something more elegant) and crazy glued them to the radio, then used small screws to drill into the bracket tabs and down into the wood.
Now the bracket and radio move as a single unit, and I can still easily remove the radio if needed by removing the bracket.
I know others have printed some wedges (I think I saw these on thingiverse). Check the spanish install video posted a few posts up, maybe there are some tips in there.

Quick Reply: 996 Stereo Upgrades in Here