996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

IMS Class Action August 3rd Update. New Claim form Claims Posted

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 12:09 PM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

what about those who purchased a re-man engine in 09 for their 996? I know the re-man engines are suppose to have updates but if we get an IMS failure on one of these new reman motors then what?

I would imagine this class action suit is setting precedent no?
Old 04-19-2013, 12:19 PM
WalterRohrl
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tbred911
what about those who purchased a re-man engine in 09 for their 996? I know the re-man engines are suppose to have updates but if we get an IMS failure on one of these new reman motors then what?

That engine would have come with a 2year, 24000 mile warranty and the larger upgraded bearing. Failure incidence appears to be significantly (though not 100%) lower.
Old 04-19-2013, 01:42 PM
Cefalu
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Nedster, you need to look at the settlement agreement to be certain, but as I recall, due to the age of your car at the time of failure, you are in the 25% recovery class .
Old 04-19-2013, 01:44 PM
Cefalu
Racer

This class action will not cover the reman engine failing, but it covers the original engine failure which caused the re manufactured engine to be installed, assuming the original engine failure was IMSB related.

Last edited by Cefalu; 04-19-2013 at 03:19 PM.
Old 04-19-2013, 02:01 PM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Cefalu
This class action will not cover the reman engine failing, but it covers the original engine failure which caused the ran engine to be installed, assuming the original engine failure was IMSB related.
Here in Canada we can sue in small claims court for up to $20K - given the IMSB has been well documented and even associated with a class action law suit in the USA will provide substantial grounds for any reman failed IMSB.
Old 04-19-2013, 03:13 PM
Cefalu
Racer

Here in Canada we can sue in small claims court for up to $20K - given the IMSB has been well documented and even associated with a class action law suit in the USA will provide substantial grounds for any reman failed IMSB.
You make a good point. But as a plaintiff you still carry the burden of proof to convince the court the engine was defective.

You can duplicate the efforts of the class action attorneys who were paid $950,000 to satisfy that burden of proof, or you can take a shortcut and ride along on their effort and review their discovery documents.

That fact your engine failed proves nothing. You need to prove the failure was caused by a defective design, and that won't be easy on your own.
Old 04-19-2013, 05:12 PM
steveu812
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not clear on the VIN ranges and the 8th digit being a 'check digit'. Using my browsers search, I type each character, but it can't match past WP0AA299 - which seems to mean that VIN WP0AA29984S621365 is NOT included even though it's a 2004 - is that true?

Thanks
Old 04-19-2013, 08:33 PM
Nedster
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by steveu812
I'm not clear on the VIN ranges and the 8th digit being a 'check digit'. Using my browsers search, I type each character, but it can't match past WP0AA299 - which seems to mean that VIN WP0AA29984S621365 is NOT included even though it's a 2004 - is that true?

Thanks
Just look at from 4S on.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:23 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Cefalu
You make a good point. But as a plaintiff you still carry the burden of proof to convince the court the engine was defective.

That fact your engine failed proves nothing. You need to prove the failure was caused by a defective design, and that won't be easy on your own.
+996 and the reason why this suit doesn't really mean anything to me.
Old 04-27-2013, 05:34 PM
speakerdesign
8th Gear

Default Will I get a letter? Bought used from a BMW dealer

Just found out about the settlement and it looks like my VIN is listed, WP0CB29825S730547. I have an '05 Boxster S with 38kmi on it. No problems yet.

How do I make sure I'm covered if my IMS fails in the next couple years?

PS: See next post, trying to properly decode VIN.

Last edited by speakerdesign; 04-27-2013 at 06:40 PM. Reason: Update
Old 04-27-2013, 06:37 PM
speakerdesign
8th Gear

Default Am I covered? VIN decode help please

Initially I thought I was covered but perhaps not. VIN is WP0CB29825S730547. As I understand it the last 7 digits determine the factory and serial number, which should give a mfg date. Is this correct?

From the IMS VIN list it looks like the last serial number for the Stuttgart factory is S6660555 where mine is S730547. It's a '05 987 Boxster S with 38kmi and no IMS issues so far.

Thanks
Old 04-28-2013, 12:49 PM
Maples
6th Gear

Default 05 Boxster S

I also have an 05 Boxster S outside the VIN range. It is a May 05 build date at Stuggart. There has been much discussion that the mid to later 05's got the newer upgraded IMS, so we can speculate that is why we are not included.

Does that mean increased reliability? I can only hope so. I purchased my privately so even if it were covered it would be 25% at best, but since I am in Canada it does not apply. Oh well spring time and looking forward to some more driving.

speakerdesign, my VIN is close to 100 after yours, almost twins!
Old 05-02-2013, 09:49 PM
wknopf
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I apologize in advance...

I have read all the pages on this thread, but I am still confused on what I should do. I am the original owner of an '04 40th AE now with 39,xxx miles. I have not had RMS or IMS failures, in fact, no problems at all. I visited the site today for the first time in years.

My VIN is WPOAA29974S621003. First, I cannot tell if I am in the class or not. Second, since I have not had any problems, do you recommend going to my local Porsche dealer for any sort of inspection or preventative maintenance? I am not sure what single row or double row bearings refer to. From what I read here, the single row bearings are more robust? Third, my in-service date was December, '03 -- so I guess this means I have six months to see if I have engine problems? (Or only until the lawsuit window closes?)

I don't track the car, but do take it on occasional long, overnight highway drives through some rural areas...and my wife and I would hate to be stranded. If my '04 AE is one of the 10% manufactured that evidently has this problem, and I am approaching the 50,000 mile mark, what is your advice? From what I have gathered, there are "third party" solutions out there (probably installed by an independent shop) -- would that make sense? What does that cost? Or can my regular dealer handle? Sorry, I am probably the least mechanical owner on this board, but I love the car and intended to take it to my grave. Until tonight. I appreciate your advice and assistance.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:11 AM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by wknopf
I have read all the pages on this thread, but I am still confused on what I should do. I am the original owner of an '04 40th AE now with 39,xxx miles. I have not had RMS or IMS failures, in fact, no problems at all. I visited the site today for the first time in years.

My VIN is WPOAA29974S621003. First, I cannot tell if I am in the class or not. Second, since I have not had any problems, do you recommend going to my local Porsche dealer for any sort of inspection or preventative maintenance? I am not sure what single row or double row bearings refer to. From what I read here, the single row bearings are more robust? Third, my in-service date was December, '03 -- so I guess this means I have six months to see if I have engine problems? (Or only until the lawsuit window closes?)

I don't track the car, but do take it on occasional long, overnight highway drives through some rural areas...and my wife and I would hate to be stranded. If my '04 AE is one of the 10% manufactured that evidently has this problem, and I am approaching the 50,000 mile mark, what is your advice? From what I have gathered, there are "third party" solutions out there (probably installed by an independent shop) -- would that make sense? What does that cost? Or can my regular dealer handle? Sorry, I am probably the least mechanical owner on this board, but I love the car and intended to take it to my grave. Until tonight. I appreciate your advice and assistance.
I also have an '04 AE and it suffered an IMS at 27K. The engine was replaced by Porsche with the newer IMS which means it can't get the after market solution. YOU CAN! The original IMS in our car can be replaced with the after market IMS. If I could, I would. If I were you, I would definitely consider it.

FYI: I also love my AE. I plan on keeping it too.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:15 AM
Litesonic
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I replaced mine.. the PO didn't when he did the clutch at 60K. Mine was ok at 73K, but now it should be good for at least another 60K.

Quick Reply: IMS Class Action August 3rd Update. New Claim form Claims Posted