Sponsored by:

IMS Class Action August 3rd Update. New Claim form Claims Posted

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 09:15 PM
Nedster
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wknopf
I have read all the pages on this thread, but I am still confused on what I should do. I am the original owner of an '04 40th AE now with 39,xxx miles. I have not had RMS or IMS failures, in fact, no problems at all. I visited the site today for the first time in years.

My VIN is WPOAA29974S621003. First, I cannot tell if I am in the class or not. Second, since I have not had any problems, do you recommend going to my local Porsche dealer for any sort of inspection or preventative maintenance? I am not sure what single row or double row bearings refer to. From what I read here, the single row bearings are more robust? Third, my in-service date was December, '03 -- so I guess this means I have six months to see if I have engine problems? (Or only until the lawsuit window closes?)

I don't track the car, but do take it on occasional long, overnight highway drives through some rural areas...and my wife and I would hate to be stranded. If my '04 AE is one of the 10% manufactured that evidently has this problem, and I am approaching the 50,000 mile mark, what is your advice? From what I have gathered, there are "third party" solutions out there (probably installed by an independent shop) -- would that make sense? What does that cost? Or can my regular dealer handle? Sorry, I am probably the least mechanical owner on this board, but I love the car and intended to take it to my grave. Until tonight. I appreciate your advice and assistance.
Yes your car is among the VINs that are listed. Line 13. So is my 40th. I am still on the original IMS, at about 30k.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:31 PM
wknopf
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Question for Nedster:

Sounds like you and I are in the same boat. Thanks for the help deciphering the list of VINs. What are you going to do, just wait for the catastrophic engine failure or take pre-emptive action and replace with the aftermarket IMS? Does anyone on this board know the approximate installed price of the aftermarket IMS? Presumably a fraction of a replacement engine. Who makes the best one?

With a 10% chance this motor will blow on the highway at 85 mph, at midnight, out in some rural area, I am tempted to just go ahead and replace the IMS either at the dealer or an independent shop, all on my dime. I am pretty risk averse. Then again, I've only got six months of "class coverage" remaining anyway. Maybe the solution is "watchful waiting" and stay close to home this summer, particularly since as the original owner I have a potential 100% reimbursement if/when the motor fails!
Old 05-03-2013, 10:35 PM
Kimberly614
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't say about post 2005 models, PAG did provide and improved IMS bearing as of 2006.
Old 05-04-2013, 12:30 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Update,

The judgement has been approved. As soon as the final paperwork is ready, I'll post the full details as well as info on who to contact to file a claim.

Best,
Old 05-04-2013, 07:05 PM
KC-944 Turbo
Racer

I wonder why 2001+.... I have a 2000. No leaks that I can tell so far.
Old 05-05-2013, 12:29 AM
anywho
3rd Gear

I suffered the dreaded IMS failure on my 2004, with the classic marbles-rattling-in-a-can sound and all the oil pouring out with no warning. The shop initially thought it was a rear main seal failure, but once they had a chance to inspect, they called the next day with the 'bad' news that it was the IMS failure, which caused metal to shoot into the engine.

I checked this site and found out about the class action. I checked my vin number, in-service date, mileage, and I bought Certified Pre-Owned, so I should be reimbursed 100% in the class action. I'm still bracing myself for having to pay for the engine replacement without getting reimbursed in the class action for whatever reason they dream up, although I should be covered, plus a couple hundred bucks for rental car.

To answer someone's question about the 'third party solution,' once the shop found me a replacement engine, I had them order the retrofit IMS because, to me, it is cheap insurance in the event this happens again. I believe they ordered it through LN Engineering (http://www.imsretrofit.com). I think it was $650 and since the engine was being replaced and the old one was already out, there really wasn't any additional labor cost. I think they said it is something that can be done when you replace your clutch (which I also needed since oil poured all over that), so if you need that, it might be a good time.

Having gone through this, and the unbelievable expense and inconvenience of having to get a whole new (used) engine, I would highly recommend getting the retrofit!!
Old 05-21-2013, 10:18 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KC-944 Turbo
I wonder why 2001+.... I have a 2000. No leaks that I can tell so far.
2001-2005 had single roller bearings. -2000 cars had dual roller bearings. None of the dual roller bearing vehicles are included. Keep also in mind that even if it was included, there is no coverage at all if a failure happens over 10 years from the initial delivery date.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:56 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

it does not matter what kind of a bearing is used in the IMS, as any bearing is submerged into oil so any bearing will eventually lose its grease and will fall apart.
It is an essential design flaw, so, why do they only cover 01-05 cars? It is really a big deal, in 06+ cars it is same damn design but they have removed an option to pull IMS assembly out so bearing replacement is a very expensive job there, it requires to drop down motor, etc. Anybody who knows this stuff says same thing - it is a design issue, even with LN Eng fix they say you got to do it every 30-40K miles as even their super expensive bearing is not immortal and is not guaranteed to survive long in those conditions.

It really sucks to be excluded from this as any MY 06-08 997.1 are essentially same cars with same motor but without an option to prevent this failure.

PS. but I got to say lawyers are awesome - to 'accept responsibility' for a car made in 2001 with a 10 year cap in the year 2013 is a neat trick.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:01 AM
Copple
Advanced

I've tried to read though this thread and can't seem the answer I'm looking for. I have an 04 C2 996 that had an IMS failure aprox 6 months ago. Porsche ended up providing me with a remanufactured engine provided I pay to install. Am I eligible for reimbursement on the installation or does this just cover the engine?

Thanks, sorry if this has already been answered and I missed it.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:29 PM
mrtoro
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

confused just like most everyone else. i have a 2003 c4s with the VIN listed on the sourt document. In Service date is 7/2003 so it is within the 10 year service cut off. The car has not expericenced IMS failure (just like thousands of other m96 engines)

i am geting ready to replace the clutch since the car has about 60k on it. My dealer recommends doing RMS and IMS (LNE) in the meantime.

Does this court ruling help me with the cost of this service? I never recived a mailing, probably because i bought the car august of 2012.

Do i call porsche NA or ask the dealer service advisor to contact?

thank you
Old 05-22-2013, 12:41 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,850 Likes on 1,520 Posts

Originally Posted by Copple
I've tried to read though this thread and can't seem the answer I'm looking for. I have an 04 C2 996 that had an IMS failure aprox 6 months ago. Porsche ended up providing me with a remanufactured engine provided I pay to install. Am I eligible for reimbursement on the installation or does this just cover the engine?

Thanks, sorry if this has already been answered and I missed it.
From the proposed settlement:
"Repairs means the cost of parts and labor used to repair engine damage, including, without limitation, repair or replacement of the engine..."
So yes, the proposed settlement covers labor.

The bigger question is are you the original owner or certified pre-owned purchaser? Or did you purchase it used without an ACPO warranty?

The proposed reimbursement schedule:

As I read it, you should be eligible for 100% of your out-of-pocket cost (parts and/or labor) if you purchased CPO and had less than 100K miles.

If it was not CPO and you were not the original owner, a meager 25% reimbursement.

What's not clear (though it might be buried in the document somewhere) is how it will be handled if Porsche already picked up part of the repair expense...

My guess is that if Porsche picked up the engine and you picked up the labor (lets say $15K for engine and $5K for labor just to make the math easy), Porsche would claim they already have covered 75% of the cost, more than the 25% as a used purchaser you are entitled to, so you will get nothing additional. One might argue that the 'total repair cost' was whatever they charged you after the good-will contribution of the engine and you are due 25% of whatever your actual out of pocket was, but I doubt that is how it would be interpreted.

Bottom line: This settlement is primarily of benefit to those who:
  1. Purchased a 996 as a CPO or original owner,
  2. Had a IMS related failure, and
  3. Repaired the IMS failure primarily at their own expense.

Any other set of circumstances and the reimbursement, if any, falls off dramatically.

Last edited by pfbz; 05-22-2013 at 12:59 PM.
Old 05-22-2013, 01:05 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mrtoro
confused just like most everyone else. i have a 2003 c4s with the VIN listed on the sourt document. In Service date is 7/2003 so it is within the 10 year service cut off. The car has not expericenced IMS failure (just like thousands of other m96 engines)

i am geting ready to replace the clutch since the car has about 60k on it. My dealer recommends doing RMS and IMS (LNE) in the meantime.

Does this court ruling help me with the cost of this service? I never recived a mailing, probably because i bought the car august of 2012.
I'm no expert, just an owner that has read the documents.

There appears to be no proposed reimbursement for proactively installing a replacement or upgraded bearing, ONLY THE COST OF REPAIR AFTER FAILURE.
Old 05-22-2013, 01:17 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by anywho
I suffered the dreaded IMS failure...
I bought Certified Pre-Owned...
I should be covered...
Once the shop found me a replacement engine, I had them order the retrofit IMS...
Looks like this settlement is exactly tailored for someone in your circumstance.

But I'm a bit confused on who's doing the work... Dealer or independent?

Did you have it looked at by a Porsche dealer and they deny to cover the repair expense under the CPO warranty?
Old 05-22-2013, 03:11 PM
Copple
Advanced

Originally Posted by pfbz
From the proposed settlement:
"Repairs means the cost of parts and labor used to repair engine damage, including, without limitation, repair or replacement of the engine..."
So yes, the proposed settlement covers labor.

The bigger question is are you the original owner or certified pre-owned purchaser? Or did you purchase it used without an ACPO warranty?

The proposed reimbursement schedule:

As I read it, you should be eligible for 100% of your out-of-pocket cost (parts and/or labor) if you purchased CPO and had less than 100K miles.

If it was not CPO and you were not the original owner, a meager 25% reimbursement.

What's not clear (though it might be buried in the document somewhere) is how it will be handled if Porsche already picked up part of the repair expense...

My guess is that if Porsche picked up the engine and you picked up the labor (lets say $15K for engine and $5K for labor just to make the math easy), Porsche would claim they already have covered 75% of the cost, more than the 25% as a used purchaser you are entitled to, so you will get nothing additional. One might argue that the 'total repair cost' was whatever they charged you after the good-will contribution of the engine and you are due 25% of whatever your actual out of pocket was, but I doubt that is how it would be interpreted.

Bottom line: This settlement is primarily of benefit to those who:
  1. Purchased a 996 as a CPO or original owner,
  2. Had a IMS related failure, and
  3. Repaired the IMS failure primarily at their own expense.

Any other set of circumstances and the reimbursement, if any, falls off dramatically.
Thanks for your response, not the original owner but did buy it with the CPO.

So who do I contact to find out about reimbursement? PCNA, local dealer, or one of the lawyers representing the case?
Old 05-22-2013, 06:50 PM
H964
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

this is great news, where can you file a claim?

Quick Reply: IMS Class Action August 3rd Update. New Claim form Claims Posted