Sponsored by:

IMS Class Action August 3rd Update. New Claim form Claims Posted

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 01:22 AM
dwebb944t
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DK570
Has any class member asked for the discovery docs yet? I'm really curious.

Interesting to note that according to the post above mine, Porsche spends about $6,450 on each repair and has repaired about .05% of all class vehicles.

Also, I'm no lawyer, but the wording seems super sloppy. "defective IMS shaft" means "defective intermediate shaft shaft". No mention of the bearing.

It's dumb that Porsche is pretty much admitting there is a problem, but then saying it's too late because most of the vehicles are old now. It would have been a much better settlement if it was a 20 year / 200,000 mile time period, not 10 / 130,000.
I got the forms in the mail. I have made no repairs or had any failures, 2004, 49k. should I opt out to reserve my right to file in the future?

Sent from my iPad using Rennlist
Old 08-03-2013, 11:22 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

I've been informed that there is a new claim form. I have it in pdf but it looks like hell with the formatting problems if I cut and paste. You can open the attachment or visit www.IMSporschesettlement.com. and download it there.

Best,
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
eisenpdf.pdf (1.32 MB, 795 views)
Old 09-10-2013, 10:01 AM
wrljet
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dwebb944t
I got the forms in the mail. I have made no repairs or had any failures, 2004, 49k. should I opt out to reserve my right to file in the future?
Have you received any advice on this or made a decision?
Mine is a 2002 so the settlement is useless for me.
Old 09-10-2013, 05:47 PM
dwebb944t
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by wrljet
Have you received any advice on this or made a decision?
Mine is a 2002 so the settlement is useless for me.
Nope
Old 09-11-2013, 07:50 PM
Viper6
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have left 2 voicemails for access to discovery document data room... no return calls as of yet. When push comes to shove, I will likely opt out (NLT 10/17 post mark) since mine has not failed yet to my knowledge, so I little incentive to stay in the class due to short duration of coverage and meaningless recovery % (I bought second hand non-CPO). I will ask how many of the four class representatives fall into the category of Used non-ACPO... and whay the hell they would agree to 25% reimbursement as fair... crazy.
Old 09-13-2013, 02:37 PM
DK570
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Viper6
I have left 2 voicemails for access to discovery document data room... no return calls as of yet. When push comes to shove, I will likely opt out (NLT 10/17 post mark) since mine has not failed yet to my knowledge, so I little incentive to stay in the class due to short duration of coverage and meaningless recovery % (I bought second hand non-CPO). I will ask how many of the four class representatives fall into the category of Used non-ACPO... and whay the hell they would agree to 25% reimbursement as fair... crazy.
Thank you for trying to get the discovery docs. It boggles my mind that for years this subject has been debated, then when we can finally get some real info from Porsche, the class members say "meh" and don't ask for any of it. Either that, or I really don't understand how discovery docs work.
Old 09-14-2013, 02:50 AM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,878 Likes on 1,531 Posts

Originally Posted by Viper6
I will likely opt out (NLT 10/17 post mark) since mine has not failed yet to my knowledge, so I little incentive to stay in the class due to short duration of coverage and meaningless recovery %... will ask how many of the four class representatives fall into the category of Used non-ACPO... and whay the hell they would agree to 25% reimbursement as fair... crazy.
If I recall correctly, the genesis of the class action suit was from 996 CPO buyers who had IMSB failures while under CPO warranty, and still had warranty denial or only partial coverage (engine, not labor). They were, in my opinion, rightfully pissed. That was the class segment that got the biggest relief (other than the attorneys).

As for opting out, the cost of proactively replacing the IMSB maybe $1,500-$2,000 tops. Much less if you already have the transmission down for other reasons, like a clutch or RMS. A magnetic chip detector is only $250 and will likely give you warning before failure, so you can put that in and wait until you either get a warning or have the transmission down for other reasons to install a replacement IMSB. Almost any reimbursement scenario from Porsche would other than "well pay 100%, free loaner car, have a nice day" would cost you more than taking preventative measures.

This settlement is clearly for those whom had catastrophic failures while under original factory or CPO warranty and still incurred huge repair costs. It's of virtually zero value to someone who is aware of the IMSB issue, knows about preventative strategies, and has an engine that is running well.

The most screwed are CPO or original purchase owners who had a catastrophic failure under warranty, were told by Porsche it would not be covered, and opted to dump the car at a big loss instead of repairing. No soup for you!
Old 09-14-2013, 12:09 PM
996_C4S
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

I was contacted by the class' counsel (along with many of you, I'm sure) and the way I read it, the $1,500 or so I paid to proactively replace by IMS bearing won't be covered. Am I assessing this correctly?
Old 09-15-2013, 10:15 AM
wrljet
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 996_C4S
I was contacted by the class' counsel (along with many of you, I'm sure) and the way I read it, the $1,500 or so I paid to proactively replace by IMS bearing won't be covered. Am I assessing this correctly?
Yes, you are.
Old 09-15-2013, 05:34 PM
BED997
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 53 Posts

There are ( or at least were) about 5-6 docs, posted on the class website. You can download everything about the case. I don't think the terms are final until December 2 when the Judge approves everything.
Old 10-07-2013, 03:53 PM
Viper6
Racer

Spoke to lawyer, I may NOT have access to the discovery docs as they were provided pursuant to a gag order from PCNA, blah blah blah. I tried, they said no.

I'm opting out since I have less than a month of effctive coverage and I plan to do some preventative fix on my own dime.

Porsche really sucks for doing this to their affected car owners if you ask me.
Old 10-07-2013, 04:16 PM
Cefalu
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

You might as well opt out. File your own suit, order discovery of their doc's and enjoy the reading. All of the documents from the original suit are on file to use as a guide.

But you need to have actual damages from a failed IMSB to make a claim. No failed IMSB = no damages = no suit.

Did they refuse to give you the depositions as well? They would be an interesting too.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:10 PM
Viper6
Racer

Originally Posted by Cefalu
You might as well opt out. File your own suit, order discovery of their doc's and enjoy the reading. All of the documents from the original suit are on file to use as a guide.

But you need to have actual damages from a failed IMSB to make a claim. No failed IMSB = no damages = no suit.

Did they refuse to give you the depositions as well? They would be an interesting too.
Now you tell me... ha. I may just call them back and ask for those, I can take rejection.
Old 10-13-2013, 07:20 PM
FlashingBlade
Advanced

Question 1:

I have a 2002 996, no IMS failures, which means the class action lawsuit will do me no good (>10 yrs == no pay out).

In this case, the general consensus seems to be to opt out of the class action suit.
Otherwise you are bound by the stipulations of the suit and you cannot pursue any further action.

Let me know if that is correct.

Last edited by FlashingBlade; 10-13-2013 at 07:44 PM.
Old 10-13-2013, 07:26 PM
FlashingBlade
Advanced

Question 2:
What happens if you have a 2002 996 C2 where the engine was replaced in 2004?

The car was put into service in 2002 but the replacement engine was put into service in 2004.

Anyone have any idea how how the class action suit would rule in that case?
It's not clear!

Quick Reply: IMS Class Action August 3rd Update. New Claim form Claims Posted