Sponsored by:

How cold is too cold...

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 03:05 PM
yank_my_chain
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default How cold is too cold...

I have a set of Sumi HTR Z III's that I put on my '99 C2 this past summer. I plan to park her in about 3 weeks for the winter months in the garage at our family's lakehouse about 150 miles north. How cold is too cold to safely drive on these tires? The drive north will be almost 100% highway and will not be an aggressive drive (I obviously will not make the drive if there is any snow or other inclement weather).

Thanks, Yank.

PS - Please no comments that I need to get another set of wheels for the winter months and to drive it year-round. That's not an option at this point.
Old 11-29-2012, 03:19 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Many will post don't drive them under 40 degrees F. I have in the past, and had zero problems. That being said, for the last couple of years I drive with Blizzaks for the winter months.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:05 PM
frisbee91
Three Wheelin'

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts

I believe the manufacturer recommends 40°F, but I push it to 32F, expecially on those days where it's cold in the morning when I leave for work, but warmer in the afternoon. Below freezing, I leave it in the garage. Never had any issues, but I'm cautious until the day (and the tires) warm up.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:13 PM
Doug Donsbach
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

You guys crack me up. What is going to happen if you drive Z rated summer tires in cold weather? They're going to have less stick. BFD. Don't expect them to have the grip they would on a summer day and use common sense and you'll be fine.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:17 PM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug Donsbach
You guys crack me up. What is going to happen if you drive Z rated summer tires in cold weather? They're going to have less stick. BFD. Don't expect them to have the grip they would on a summer day and use common sense and you'll be fine.
Agreed!

I went to the gym this morning and the temperature gauge told me it was 25 degrees. I ONLY keep summer tires on my car and I made it there and back without a problem. Now if it snows that is a different story but for regular commuting it's no big deal.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:37 PM
caf
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Drove to work on a cold morning last year. Whipped around a slow moving car, then braked for the turn into my building. Normally, this would be no big deal, but ABS chattered like crazy, and almost didn't make the turn. Of course I should have been taking it easy, but it can really surprise you sometimes how much less grip you have. Ambient temp was low 40s.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:55 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,475 Likes on 926 Posts

You certainly can drive on them in cold weather. They are round and they will roll.

The rubber compound used for summer tires is different than winter tires. Summer tires get quite hard in colder weather, and they do lose quite a bit of compliance to the road surface and ultimately grip. This is true even on dry pavement. If you're careful and you plan for decreased grip, you should be fine. Give yourself more following distance and stopping distance when driving. If there's any precipitation (even rain), then increase the following and stopping distances even more.

It's not an ideal scenario, but you should be fine if you're careful.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:22 PM
tnj100
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

I drive year round in Boston on summer tires. No big deal, but there is a definite loss in grip. As long as there's no snow and you don't push yourself around corners, they work fine.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:53 PM
yank_my_chain
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the feedback, exactly what I was looking for.

I have driven in to work the past several mornings with the temp around 25-30 and have not noticed a difference (but I was not pushing it around any corners). Getting ready to do my first oil change on the PCar this weekend.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:09 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Kudos to all the heroes who never have a problem, but that doesn't mean this isn't a risky choice. The thing with performance rubber is not only that it loses adhesion when it gets cold, but that it loses a lot of adhesion and does it abruptly. I actually have experienced a problem in this situation, on dry pavement. It was avoidable, but it was a good lesson in how much margin is gone when temps get below 5C or so, never mind precipitation.

If you can't afford winter tires, then, yeah, be careful. Just know that you're not really driving a Porsche anymore. If you can swing the cost of winter rubber, I can't recommend it strongly enough.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:14 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Don't know about the Sumis, but we've only ever had PS2s on ours and I've driven on them down to sub 10f. Even in the C4 you have to watch them until they get warmed up and I wouldn't recommend pushing them near the limits, but any sane street driving should be fine.

Even had them in the snow with no issues. Just have to understand they aren't the best tool for the job and drive accordingly.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:22 PM
silotwo
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As long as you are not faced with a panic situation go ahead and save some cash. Good luck if you need to make a panic stop, been there and winters now go on when temps hit the mid 30's.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:56 PM
Dharn55
Drifting

Received 174 Likes on 107 Posts

No real problems if you don't push them hard and no panic stops and absolutely no snow or freezing rain. If you caught with snow or freezing rain good lick, it will be like driving on ice.

The rubber on the summer tires will be like hickey pucks in low temps.

I remember the first year I bought my car (in August). Everything was fine until one day in December when it started to snow. I tried to drive to my accountants and is was absolutely scary. I could accelerate, but turning or stopping was very hard to do.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:16 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 339 Likes on 245 Posts

They turn to hockey pucks but if you let them warm up, they won't be as bad. Normal driving will not have any issues but in an emergency stop, it could be a problem. Drive it to the storage location an be careful.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:34 PM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 54 Posts

I will tell you a couple of years ago I had a meeting in Atlanta that I drove to. During my trip there a freak ice storm hit and my car was on ice skates the whole time.

I was able to control it for the most part until I pulled into the parking garage at my hotel. At that point the road was completely iced over but thankfully the ABS and PSM kept me from crashing into the concrete support pillar.

Yes summer tires are awful in inclement weather but with dry and cold conditions I've been pretty luck so far.

Quick Reply: How cold is too cold...