996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

How cold is too cold...

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 10:09 PM
tgt40
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with Doug...Easily the most dangerous drive I"ve ever had was one day after a trip - arrived home by air and it had snowed...damn near never got out of the parkade....had the highway had snow on it I may have parked there the whole winter!
Old 11-30-2012, 12:46 AM
seanmcr6
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you guys are crazy.

If you have to stop in a hurry, you're not going to. Yeah you can putt around town and not wrap the car around a tree, but if you're on the highway or even a B road and have to slam on the brakes, you're ****ed. Period.

Also, depends on the laws where you live...but IF you get in an accident cause you couldn't stop or avoid a collision and the insurance company finds out you were on summer tires, forget about getting paid. It's a negligent act.

If it's 36, probably not a problem. If it's 20, you're taking a big risk.

Be smart.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:49 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,475 Likes on 926 Posts

My recommendation is to buy winter tires. The OP doesn't want to talk about winter tires. I got caught in a snow storm on my Pirelli P-Zeros once and it was not good at all. It was very scary, actually.

Can it be done? Yes. Are there increased risks? Yes. It's up to you as the owner/driver to decide what you are comfortable with in terms of risk.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:32 AM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Winter tires are better than summer tires in the winter. Don't take that as a winter tire is going to perform anywhere near what you can do in summer with any type of tires. Unless you are wearing studs on black ice you might as well be riding on cardboard down a hill

It was cold today and is quite cold right now. It's 66 F brrrrrrr.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:40 AM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

^ You better have winter swim trunks Pac996.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:14 AM
cuttinsod
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

All good points about the downside of driving summer tires belo 40 deg. And if the OP was going to drive it through the winter, snow tires are a must (I use blizzaks from november on), but for a carefully planned, one way trip to the lake house for winter storage, he should be ok.

Just realize, performance will be considerably diminished....if there is snow or ice, don't take the trip, and be very careful....slow down, extend acceleration, braking, and cornering zones.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:58 AM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 71 Posts

Just DO IT! Whats the worst that can happen??
Attached Images  
Old 11-30-2012, 03:46 PM
yank_my_chain
Instructor

Thanks again. I have a couple day window for the drive north and will make sure I only make the drive if I think it is safe.

I would love to get a set of winter wheels but my wife doesn't want a third car in the driveway all winter that she needs to pull around in the snow. I was fortunate to get approval on the PCar purchase to begin with!
Old 11-30-2012, 06:39 PM
Pac996
Drifting

If it's hwy all the way the tires should be up to a reasonably good temp after a while. I'd estimate city and slow driving to dooming the tires to sub par performance since the longer cold exposure without rotation to flex the rubber and give heat. The tires aren't going to turn to ice slick unless you haven't warmed them up and try hotrodding them.

Originally Posted by Barn996
^ You better have winter swim trunks Pac996.
Full length sand camo wetsuite
Suddenly I remember all these islands are piled high lava ash prone to falling in the ocean like the norhtern area did a long time ago leaving the cliffs. You can see the old part of the island of Oahu spread for hundreds of miles out to sea. There is always a miserable chance during a life time and certain to happen again sometime. Good thing I have dry and wet tires on
Old 11-30-2012, 07:56 PM
CDLVancouver
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If i were in your shoes:
If it was snowing i wouldnt drive the car but if it was dry id go no problem, keeping in mind the potential for black ice. Curves would be taken at a much slower speed and passing may or may not happen depending on road conditions.

Quick Reply: How cold is too cold...