Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Crank Pulley Noise - Redux (engine drop)

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 08:19 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by RPMulli
Yeah, I was having a situation with that new IMS bearing install (i was hoping you had a different technique). I could not get it to go in for the first 3 attempts. Finally after letting it sit on ice for 30 mins I managed to get it in there.
In the machine shop when I had to install something that needed to be smaller I would soak the part in a bucket of dry ice and acetone.

If the acetone could wash away critical lubricant just suspend the part by wire just above the dry ice in a bucket with just a few inches of dry ice in the bucket. The cold will stay in the bucket and the part will be chilly in just a few minutes.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:07 PM
RPMulli
Banned

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts

Damn, project is delayed... i have two bad exhaust lifters on #6. They are really easy to push in. Hence a noise i noticed a while back. I thought it was my exhaust rattling.
Old 03-24-2012, 12:22 AM
RPMulli
Banned

Is my flywheel bad? I believe it may be <15mm travel in each direction.

Last edited by RPMulli; 03-24-2012 at 01:00 AM.
Old 03-24-2012, 04:35 PM
logray
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm not expert, but that doesn't sound particularly healthy to me. Does it pass the other tests? I would get some more input.

If the flywheel is high miles, is scored, and the springs sound unhealthy more than likely you'll be back in there sooner rather than later. If the flywheel is making unusual noises, maybe that is contributing to the problem noise you were having?
Old 03-24-2012, 05:22 PM
RPMulli
Banned

Originally Posted by logray
I'm not expert, but that doesn't sound particularly healthy to me. Does it pass the other tests? I would get some more input.

If the flywheel is high miles, is scored, and the springs sound unhealthy more than likely you'll be back in there sooner rather than later. If the flywheel is making unusual noises, maybe that is contributing to the problem noise you were having?
Yea the spring is making noise but I don't think it is moving out of limits. I recall it making the same noise back when I installed the first IMS bearing. My budget at the moment is at its limit too. I think I will just clean the FW off and ride it out. I really don't think it has anything to do with the crank pulley noise though. I ordered the lifters today. They should be delivered by Tuesday afternoon. Logan, I expect to have this engine back in by next weekend. As soon as I get her running I will send the tools back to you.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:45 PM
RPMulli
Banned

Still waiting for the lifters to come from Pelican, I decided to clean up the FW and pressure plate since I have a lot of life left on the clutch disc. Mated the transmission and cleaned my suspension a bit.
Attached Images     
Old 03-26-2012, 10:19 PM
RPMulli
Banned

Just got my fuel injectors in from witchhunter performance. Only $135 to refurbish and flow test all six injectors. I was surprised to see that the flow test report only showed minimal improvements.. this is because the injectors were already leak free and had good spray patterns prior to cleaning apparently. They do look like new though!!
Attached Images  
Old 03-27-2012, 08:11 AM
Doug Donsbach
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RPMulli
Is my flywheel bad? I believe it may be <15mm travel in each direction.

There is a TSB for inspecting the FW. You can find it with a membership over on the Renntech site, but it basically wants you to look for a relatively small deflection in each direction away from center, with a return to center when you stop trying to turn the FW.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:41 AM
RPMulli
Banned

Gentlemen, I got the lifters put in the car. The engine is back in the car and I will be doing the final activities today (compressor, coolant, oil, and tensioner installation). Everything went back together very easily. The only part that was a PITA was the slave cylinder even when the engine was lowered.
Old 03-29-2012, 12:21 PM
logray
Three Wheelin'

Yes that slave cylinder makes me curse every time...
Old 03-29-2012, 03:51 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 71 Posts

For next time:

Porsche TSB 1360 8/02 assessment of DMF…
The twist below must be carried out by hand and without any tools. Twist distance to be measured at the external diameter of the DMF
Can the DMF be twisted by approx.. 15mm to both left and right, and does it then return to approx. its initial position? If yes good
Can DMF be twisted beyond 15mm (excessive turn) without a noticeable increase in the spring force? Yes = bad, no = good
Old 03-29-2012, 09:04 PM
RPMulli
Banned

Alright... So I started the engine today. Sounds much better after taking it around the block! The engine is much quieter after the chain guides and the lifters were replaced and leak free! Bad news: the noise coming the crank pulley is still there!!! It is obvious at this point that the noise is coming from something within the crankcase OR it is the flywheel. This car will not be getting anymore attention this year. Its a shame that I could not pinpoint the noise after all this work but my budget could not handle me going any further. In the meantime I will driving the **** out of it.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:17 PM
porsches996
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice job Ryan!
Now time to take a break and next year you will probably know what your problem is
Once again nice job

Robert
2000 C4
Old 03-30-2012, 10:58 PM
RPMulli
Banned

Hey I was thinking today, what do you think about maybe bringing the car to a Porsche dealer for a second opinion? Maybe they can diagnose it easily?
Old 03-30-2012, 11:31 PM
logray
Three Wheelin'

"Mr RPMulli,

We were unable to externally diagnose the reason for the abnormal noise coming from your engine. We regret to inform you that in order to fully diagnose the reason for the abnormal noise we would need to completely dismantle your engine at the rate of $150 per hour at 80 hours of labor. Once the problem is identified new parts will be available for purchase at MSRP + margin, and then the engine reassembled by one of in house engine build "experts" (because we do this all the time). The reassembly will require 80 hours of labor. Because of the extraordinary cost this would incur including parts and labor, we recommend a more sensibly priced replacement engine for your vehicle, which is currently discounted at $28,000, including a non-refundable core deposit.

Sincerely,

Dr. Porsche."

Quick Reply: Crank Pulley Noise - Redux (engine drop)