Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Crank Pulley Noise - Redux (engine drop)

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 10:10 PM
RPMulli
Banned

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by dcdrechsel
Let's change boil to simmer .You could use the propane to heat the pan the oil is in (not as good as hotplate )The only way this procedure works is with hot oil .In the old days we used to soak them in gasoline but that would probably have the Porsche police descending .
I would not put a torch directly on a lifter .Does stuff to the structure .
As far as the clank -I thought the tensioner was stuck and also the contact point on the arm was partially worn away ?Don't think removing the pan will reveal much -although good to check screens for sealant -debris etc .
The tensioner was stuck but the contact point was good to go.
Old 03-22-2012, 04:38 AM
speed rII
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RPMulli
So far everything points toward the IMS tensioner/IMS bearing combination. I'm thinking about dropping the oil pan for the heck of it.. if I have enough sealant to re-install
You can't see the ims tube from there, but I think that it would be wise to do that anyway. Just to check that there is no debries....
Old 03-22-2012, 09:50 AM
dcdrechsel
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Back to the clank.......if noise wasn't there when you stored car for the winter the odds are pretty good that it is the tensioner freezing from inactivity .
Old 03-22-2012, 11:23 AM
RPMulli
Banned

Originally Posted by dcdrechsel
Back to the clank.......if noise wasn't there when you stored car for the winter the odds are pretty good that it is the tensioner freezing from inactivity .
That is a possibility. Although I can't confirm that it didn't make the noise prior to storage. I moved from Nebraska to PA in November and the car spent alot of time sitting, driven hard, sitting, etc.. I finally put her to bed sometime in December. I had so much going on that I didn't pay attention to any clanking. There was new roads and curves to drive on!
Old 03-22-2012, 12:48 PM
logray
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Did you get that bearing out yet?
Old 03-22-2012, 02:12 PM
RPMulli
Banned

Originally Posted by logray
Did you get that bearing out yet?
Not yet, the packages are starting to come in as we speak.... I will pop it out after I get the cams reinstalled on the 1-3 bank. Anxious or just need your extraction tool back?
Old 03-22-2012, 03:12 PM
logray
Three Wheelin'

Nope, just wondering!
Old 03-22-2012, 07:05 PM
RPMulli
Banned

Nope, just wondering!
So I just installed the 1-3 cams & head cover... pretty easy once you get the cams lines up and the holder in place. I didn't take that many pictures because I was in the zone. I got the IMS bearing today and it looks different from my first bearing. I will be installing it this evening. I will take pictures for sure.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:12 AM
RPMulli
Banned

Update: Finally got the new IMS bearing installed!! It was a PITA let me tell you. Below are some pics of the bearing install and I became to disassemble the 4-6 bank. So far so good, I had to call it quits for the night since my knees were about to give out from kneeling.

It feels like I am making some decent progress now, still waiting on the tensioners and intake manifold gaskets to come in. I have to measure and see how much life is left on my clutch disc. Anyone know of any methods to "freshen up" the pressure plate and flywheel? There appears to be slight glazing on the FW. Thanks!
Attached Images             
Old 03-23-2012, 11:18 AM
RPMulli
Banned

Just remembered... I couldn't find the torque spec for the bolts on the oil pump in the manual. I would assume 7.5 ft lbs?? Anyone know?
Old 03-23-2012, 12:16 PM
logray
Three Wheelin'

Nice work. Did you try to call me last night, sorry I wasn't near the phone and saw it really late (or early your time).

Torque for those bolts... yes 7.5 ft lbs.
Old 03-23-2012, 01:06 PM
RPMulli
Banned

Nice work. Did you try to call me last night, sorry I wasn't near the phone and saw it really late (or early your time).

Torque for those bolts... yes 7.5 ft lbs.
Yeah, I was having a situation with that new IMS bearing install (i was hoping you had a different technique). I could not get it to go in for the first 3 attempts. Finally after letting it sit on ice for 30 mins I managed to get it in there.
Old 03-23-2012, 01:56 PM
logray
Three Wheelin'

Yes, had mine in the freezer overnight. The second time it was much easier with the tube on the bench.
Old 03-23-2012, 03:09 PM
Turkertwo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RPM - You're my hero. Diving right into the deep end of some very complicated kit. Good for you. Fearless!
I tried this on my Datsun when I was a kid a created a small lawn ornament.
Old 03-23-2012, 04:33 PM
RPMulli
Banned

Originally Posted by Turkertwo:9386388
RPM - You're my hero. Diving right into the deep end of some very complicated kit. Good for you. Fearless!
I tried this on my Datsun when I was a kid a created a small lawn ornament.
Haha, im not out of the woods yet. I still have to get the engine back in. I was an aircraft mechanic for years so i figure a car isn't any more complicated. I am typically only limited by my resources (equipment and $$) otherwise ill tackle any project.

Quick Reply: Crank Pulley Noise - Redux (engine drop)