Sponsored by:

What's the best engine oil 996?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2011, 04:07 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ltusler
Amsoil 15/50 Dominator Racing changed every 800 track miles or so.
+1! Only the best.....

There are several quality botique motor oils available and on a street car it makes little difference which brand you use as long as it's NOT MOBIL1. Oh and unless you're on frozen tundra use 5-40 not 0-40...
Old 11-24-2011, 06:03 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,290 Likes on 902 Posts

Ltusler has the ONLY one of our engines on the street or track that doesn't use our oil and that was my decision. I was impressed with the internals of his engine that had broken and we kept him on that oil after our work was done.. The UOA we have carried out have been impressive for something thats not an application specific oil.

Street cars do matter what oil is dumped into them as we are seeing more and more cam and lifter wear as the new oil formulations have time to make impacts on the engines. In times past we only saw impacts with cam and lifter combinations on vintage flat tappet equipped engines, but not anymore. As oils are modified further to enhance fuel economy and engine cleanliness as well as not to foul O2 sensors and catalytic converters the oils begin to fill more roles than just lubrication.

Corvette owners are now starting to lose camshafts and that was unheard of just last year.
Old 11-24-2011, 11:42 PM
One Nut
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

AMSOIL European formula In all my cars
Old 11-25-2011, 02:59 AM
targa996
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I spent a lot of time as a newbie as well looking on these boards (and others) at the oil discussions. For everyday use you can find Mobil 1 at $5-$6/qt when its on sale - (0w40) - and it is widely available.

I've yet to see a good argument as to why that doesn't work well. Porsche specs 15K change interval - many people on the boards do at 5K "as cheap insurance" - so won't argue with that. If you are racing - there maybe other options - but for normal street use - I think M1 with more frequent changes is the way to go .... (i'm going to do oil analysis with my first change and see what Blackstone says)
Old 11-25-2011, 09:17 AM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

A oil question post ! Brilliant idea !!!
Old 11-25-2011, 11:18 AM
dennis hiip
Rennlist Member

I just want to stir the pot a little so here goes: Redline makes Engine oil Break-In additive that's concentrated ZDDP and phosphorus. Comes in a 16 oz bottle so you can increase your oil's zn/phosphorus content to your heart's delight. 16oz/10 qts oil= increase of 1104 ppm, 8oz/10qts= increase of 690 ppm. This is not snake oil but the real deal. Use caution. More is not always better and I'm afraid to second guess the manufacture's chemists. I'll just wait for the Joe Gibbs oil in Feb. for my Porsche. On the other hand, I'm seriously considering using a little (4 oz) in my 20 yr old Mercedes and 25 yr old Ford pickup.

Last edited by dennis hiip; 11-25-2011 at 07:24 PM.
Old 11-25-2011, 11:24 AM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

I am with Danica on this one..

Old 11-25-2011, 11:31 AM
logray
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Yep, definitely with Danica too... Peak motor oil is the best ever.

(wait, am I missing something here errrr uhhhh)
Old 11-25-2011, 02:24 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by dennis hiip
I just want to stir the pot a little so here goes: Redline makes Engine oil Break-In additive that's concentrated ZDDP and phosphorus. Comes in a 16 oz bottle so you can increase you oil's zn/phosphorus content to your hearts delight. 16oz/10 qts oil= increase of 1104 ppm, 8oz/10qts= increase of 690 ppm. This is not snake oil but the real deal. Use caution. More is not always better and I'm afraid to second guess the manufacture's chemists. I'll just wait for the Joe Gibbs oil in Feb. for my Porsche. On the other hand, I'm seriously considering using a little (4 oz) in my 20 yr old Mercedes and 25 yr old Ford pickup.
Why use any additive in your 20 yr old Mercedes or 25 yr old Ford pickup when for 20 and 25 yrs both vehicles' engines appear to not have suffered any from the treatment/oil that you have given them over that time. However you are treating them, whatever oil you are using, whatever you are doing, seems to be working just fine.

As for using an break in additive, AFAIK Porsche does not recognize the need for any additive, at any time.

I can think of another argument against using an additive at break in, especially one that has a high ZDDP content. New engines can use oil and of course this oil ends up flowing with exhaust gases past/over the O2 sensors and on into the converters, where that ZDDP can do its dirty business.

One then uses an additive that not only does not appear to be needed -- so many of these cars have managed to make it through break in just fine sans any additive -- but which also subjects the sensors and converters to exposure Porsche (and other automakers) have recognized as harmful the O2 sensors and converters.

Instead, buy lottery tickets with the money you would have spent on the oil additive. The odds are better you'll recognize something from the ticket purchase compared to the additive purchase/use.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 11-25-2011, 02:32 PM
Topaz330ci
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use 5W40 Total Quartz. Very good oil from all the researching I did before I put it in.

Most important thing here is the climate, and the more frequent change intervals.
Old 11-25-2011, 08:56 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
I am with Danica on this one..

Isn't that Ashley?

I don't think Ashley cares too muck about the oil in her car, after all the engine gets a teardown and rebuild every 4 seconds.
Old 11-25-2011, 09:11 PM
aviography
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

http://www.insideline.com/features/a...ag-racing.html

Definitely not Danica.

Way to go derail an oil thread!
Old 11-26-2011, 04:14 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,290 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by dennis hiip
I just want to stir the pot a little so here goes: Redline makes Engine oil Break-In additive that's concentrated ZDDP and phosphorus. Comes in a 16 oz bottle so you can increase your oil's zn/phosphorus content to your heart's delight. 16oz/10 qts oil= increase of 1104 ppm, 8oz/10qts= increase of 690 ppm. This is not snake oil but the real deal. Use caution. More is not always better and I'm afraid to second guess the manufacture's chemists. I'll just wait for the Joe Gibbs oil in Feb. for my Porsche. On the other hand, I'm seriously considering using a little (4 oz) in my 20 yr old Mercedes and 25 yr old Ford pickup.
According to the API there is never a "best time" to apply an aftermarket oil additive. Doing so impacts the critical balance between the detergency and anti-wear packages within the oil. When this happens the entire formulation is thrown out the window.
Old 11-26-2011, 04:43 PM
logray
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
...so many of these cars have managed to make it through break in just fine sans any additive...
I suppose since this is the oil thread de' jour...

Not additive specific, but sorta related, I think I remember reading Jake was going to post some pics from a factory crate engine that was broken in using Mobil 1 0w40 (and probably broken in according to the owners manual guidelines).

(running... I'll take my answer offline )
Old 11-26-2011, 07:04 PM
dennis hiip
Rennlist Member

RE zink additive: Thanks guys. I tend to over think this stuff some times. I'll stick with Delo 15W-40 in these old gasers and be content with the zink and phosphorus content. It's been working for a long time. I just started to worry after learning that the formula of this oil is changed. MB= 200k and only has had valve stem seals.

Last edited by dennis hiip; 11-26-2011 at 07:46 PM.

Quick Reply: What's the best engine oil 996?