Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

The IMS discussion thread (Read this first!)

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2020, 01:19 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,293 Likes on 903 Posts

Originally Posted by FASTTRIP
Jake were you in service when they used walnut shells to clean parts during maintenance and had oil ports clogged with the shells and lost a few birds? Thanks for your service and keeping our history alive.
Yep, and aboard ship 'low power engines" were cleaned with doses of Coca Cola from the mess decks!
Old 08-06-2020, 01:19 PM
Nick_L
Racer

Received 94 Likes on 62 Posts

Feel free to ask me technical questions, always.

1. Insufficient load capacity
This is not the case and can be explained logically and theoretically. IF it was this you would see a more consistent failure rate but the failures are sporadic and scattered. Some cars go 29k miles (and break) and (more interesting) plenty cars go 300k miles or more with not a hint of issue with the bearing, this does not logically make sense.
Further, dimensioning bearings is dead simple, it is highly unlikely that they would mess it up. And the final nail in the coffin, you can reverse engineer it (which I have) and see that load capacity is not an issue....hence my statement "in excess of a million miles".

2. 1-8% failure rate
When I bought my first 996 in 2015 I asked two Porsche mechanics about the IMS issue(in Sweden). Both knew about it but they had never actually seen one fail. They did do IMS replacement on customer request but it always came out nice. I have been looking for the source of this 1%-8% but can not find it. I'm inclined to think this refers to cars sold in the USA, not globally. Then you have my explanation for that failure rate above(false brinnelling).

3. One ball carries load
​​​​​​​A bearing takes just a single vector load. This is true for all and every bearing installation. The vector is stationary in the IMS bearings and as such you find wear at the same spot every time, nothing strange. How the bearing internally distributes the load is dictated by the internal design of the bearing. This is where the different bearing mfg R&D to make the perfect bearing. Nothing that a customer/user of the bearing needs to think about. SKF have Explorer or E2 series, for example, which have different design and different focus on load bearing or low friction.

4.Grease seal
I would not remove it, there is nothing to indicate this would help the situation. It is rather the opposite, proven to work with the seal in place. And, I guess most people don't want to be guinea pigs for that experiment? My theory for the seal is that the engine oil is generally not clean enough for an open bearing. Gearbox oil is cleaner and a different story. This is partly based on the fact that the bearing sits in an oil bath lubrication BUT have seals. I think they intended an open bearing but went with sealed since open didn't work. On a side note, sealed bearings is easier to handle in production since they are, well, sealed. Less issue of bearing damage in the factory.

Old 08-06-2020, 01:55 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Nick_L
Feel free to ask me technical questions, always.

1. Insufficient load capacity
This is not the case and can be explained logically and theoretically. IF it was this you would see a more consistent failure rate but the failures are sporadic and scattered. Some cars go 29k miles (and break) and (more interesting) plenty cars go 300k miles or more with not a hint of issue with the bearing, this does not logically make sense.
Further, dimensioning bearings is dead simple, it is highly unlikely that they would mess it up. And the final nail in the coffin, you can reverse engineer it (which I have) and see that load capacity is not an issue....hence my statement "in excess of a million miles".

2. 1-8% failure rate
When I bought my first 996 in 2015 I asked two Porsche mechanics about the IMS issue(in Sweden). Both knew about it but they had never actually seen one fail. They did do IMS replacement on customer request but it always came out nice. I have been looking for the source of this 1%-8% but can not find it. I'm inclined to think this refers to cars sold in the USA, not globally. Then you have my explanation for that failure rate above(false brinnelling).

3. One ball carries load
A bearing takes just a single vector load. This is true for all and every bearing installation. The vector is stationary in the IMS bearings and as such you find wear at the same spot every time, nothing strange. How the bearing internally distributes the load is dictated by the internal design of the bearing. This is where the different bearing mfg R&D to make the perfect bearing. Nothing that a customer/user of the bearing needs to think about. SKF have Explorer or E2 series, for example, which have different design and different focus on load bearing or low friction.

4.Grease seal
I would not remove it, there is nothing to indicate this would help the situation. It is rather the opposite, proven to work with the seal in place. And, I guess most people don't want to be guinea pigs for that experiment? My theory for the seal is that the engine oil is generally not clean enough for an open bearing. Gearbox oil is cleaner and a different story. This is partly based on the fact that the bearing sits in an oil bath lubrication BUT have seals. I think they intended an open bearing but went with sealed since open didn't work. On a side note, sealed bearings is easier to handle in production since they are, well, sealed. Less issue of bearing damage in the factory.
Can you provide to the forum what your credentials, or direct IMS Bearing experiences may be?
How did you gain the knowledge that is driving your aforementioned recommendations?

Basically, who are you, what have you done, and how has it been proven? Thank you.
Old 08-06-2020, 02:29 PM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

And back to the bearing discussion. If you stop thinking about the IMSB as some black magic that hold the M96 spirit in place, and instead understand it's just a ball bearing. Things get much easier, because ball bearings have been around for more than 200 years and are well understood.
Actually, your number is way off... It's like more than 500 years.
One of my favorite seminars was on Leonardo Da Vinci. It's amazing the things this man dreamed up on paper and physical models.

http://www.leonardodavincisinvention...-ball-bearing/

You can inspect it in place: Smooth turning, no excessive play and seals in good condition. This inspection will tell you if the bearing is GOOD or BAD. There is no need to inspect the ***** or races if it passes the inspection. If the bearing is bad and you want to know why, YES, then you need to pull it and destroy it. Before I worked in the off shore I worked at SKF...
And so are you advising that all Porsche M96 owners just simply drop the transmission, remove the clutch kit, and flywheel and do a simple inspection routinely?

What inspection intervals do you recommend?
Old 08-06-2020, 02:36 PM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

I would not remove it, there is nothing to indicate this would help the situation. It is rather the opposite, proven to work with the seal in place.
I'm no mechanical engineer, but over the years most of the respectable shops have testified that the factory bearings in this application lose their packed grease over time from the seals shrinking and oil washing out the grease.

What do you think about that? It's really hard to take your opinion over many shops/companies like Hartech, Callas Rennsport, Flat 6 Innovations, LN Engineering, etc over you.

Change my mind.
Old 08-06-2020, 04:31 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 524 Posts

It really is hard to teach someone that already knows it all.
Old 08-06-2020, 06:35 PM
Nick_L
Racer

Who I am or what I have done is irrelevant, you don't need to trust me. What I write can be double checked rather easily.
As soon as you start caring who I am you stop thinking by yourself and discussions like this ends up in "who said what" instead of what's being said.

Bearing life time etc can now days be calculated easily online: skfbearingselect.com
(deep grove ball bearing 6204, Radial load 400N, temps up to 100-120c, rpm between 300-3500...play around with the lubrication, loads, rpm and seals)
I've asked Charles in a previous thread about the input from his bearing life time calculation. Do you care to share that?

Bearing failures? I like this guide, start from the top and go thru one by one and judge if it is applicable:
https://www.schaeffler.com/remotemed...ures_us_en.pdf
There is one case which is not mentioned in the PDF and that is if the lubrication is too thin for the RPM. This results in a bearing with lots of play in it.

Combine these tools with some mechanical experience, pictures(or real) of broken IMS bearings and you will quickly be able to rule out what it can be or not.

I'm I correct? I'm human and humans makes errors...it would be nice if someone could, on a technical level, challenge/check my theory.
I'm no mechanical engineer, but over the years most of the respectable shops have testified that the factory bearings in this application lose their packed grease over time from the seals shrinking and oil washing out the grease.

What do you think about that? It's really hard to take your opinion over many shops/companies like Hartech, Callas Rennsport, Flat 6 Innovations, LN Engineering, etc over you.

Change my mind.
Good question. As said, you don't need to trust me, use the SKF tool above and try what happens if you run the bearing using 110c 5w40(the viscosity's you find in your oil datasheet).
With my oil the life time goes down compared to grease but it's still "in excess of a million miles". Running on oil or grease is not the reason they die so quickly.

The problem when oil gets in is that it brings debris/contamination, that is a bit harder to estimate using some life time tools.( There are ISO standards for it but I'm not sure how well they replicate dirty engine oil.) Like, what happens if a pieces of tensioner plastic get stuck between the *****? And, how contaminated is the oil really? I don't want to test either of those two so I want my seals to stay in place. If you go thru the guide above(and use the SKF tool) you will, like me, understand that there is no lubrication or overheating issues to be concerned about.

And so are you advising that all Porsche M96 owners just simply drop the transmission, remove the clutch kit, and flywheel and do a simple inspection routinely?

What inspection intervals do you recommend?
What I read here on the forum Porsche recommends zero inspections but I'm a bit more conservative and say you probably would like to do it once. Especially if your car is far away from Germany and/or not that well taken care of. Make sure the bearing in place is pristine and you don't have to care about it again. Change oil frequently, make sure the cooling works well and use OEM air/oil filters and your good.

Old 08-07-2020, 03:02 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Who I am or what I have done is irrelevant, you don't need to trust me. What I write can be double checked rather easily.
No. It doesn't work the way.
If someone lacks any direct experience with these engines, and their IMS Bearings, their statements lack basis, and can't be considered recommendations.

It seems like another classic case of "parrotism" where you are reading things in one place, twisting them around in your brain housing group, then stating hem here as fact. The readers here then believe that the things you are stating are your actual views, based on your direct experience. You have no direct experience, and therefore it is impossible to challenge mine.
Thank you.
Old 08-07-2020, 12:28 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 545 Posts

As soon as you start caring who I am you stop thinking by yourself and discussions like this ends up in "who said what" instead of what's being said.

Bearing life time etc can now days be calculated easily online: skfbearingselect.com
(deep grove ball bearing 6204, Radial load 400N, temps up to 100-120c, rpm between 300-3500...play around with the lubrication, loads, rpm and seals)
I've asked Charles in a previous thread about the input from his bearing life time calculation. Do you care to share that?

Bearing failures? I like this guide, start from the top and go thru one by one and judge if it is applicable:
There is one case which is not mentioned in the PDF and that is if the lubrication is too thin for the RPM. This results in a bearing with lots of play in it.

Combine these tools with some mechanical experience, pictures(or real) of broken IMS bearings and you will quickly be able to rule out what it can be or not.

I'm I correct? I'm human and humans makes errors...it would be nice if someone could, on a technical level, challenge/check my theory.

Good question. As said, you don't need to trust me, use the SKF tool above and try what happens if you run the bearing using 110c 5w40(the viscosity's you find in your oil datasheet).
With my oil the life time goes down compared to grease but it's still "in excess of a million miles". Running on oil or grease is not the reason they die so quickly.

The problem when oil gets in is that it brings debris/contamination, that is a bit harder to estimate using some life time tools.( There are ISO standards for it but I'm not sure how well they replicate dirty engine oil.) Like, what happens if a pieces of tensioner plastic get stuck between the *****? And, how contaminated is the oil really? I don't want to test either of those two so I want my seals to stay in place. If you go thru the guide above(and use the SKF tool) you will, like me, understand that there is no lubrication or overheating issues to be concerned about.

What I read here on the forum Porsche recommends zero inspections but I'm a bit more conservative and say you probably would like to do it once. Especially if your car is far away from Germany and/or not that well taken care of. Make sure the bearing in place is pristine and you don't have to care about it again. Change oil frequently, make sure the cooling works well and use OEM air/oil filters and your good.
How many m96 engines have your torn down and built back up?
Old 08-07-2020, 04:10 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,185 Likes on 758 Posts

Do you even own a 996? Just wondering if you have any cards in the game?
Old 08-07-2020, 04:19 PM
Nick_L
Racer

Originally Posted by 808Bill
How many m96 engines have your torn down and built back up?
This is a reoccurring question so i might just answer that.

An engine builder/assemblers task is to put an engine together, tear down and build up. Much like you learn in the army to take apart your gun and put it together you need practice working with it to become good. An engineers task is to construct and design the engine, the more you do it the better you become. To do this you don't need to see the engine(but it might help some times), you just need to understand how an engine should be built. Think about it. The team which design the M96(or plenty of other engines) only got to see it some years after they started their design work. You can't tear apart and build something that does not exist.

Builders and engineers both work on the same stuff but in different ways.

Circling back to the IMS bearing. Since I own a 996 (my second) and I have the general layout of the chain drives etc etc I can easily analyse it. Engineering work. No need to build or tear apart, it is not relevant for this work. Actually I'm doing it to avoid tearing it down or having problems with it...or throwing my money away on useless stuff. I think it's not just me who is interested in that.
The following users liked this post:
no-pistons (01-14-2023)
Old 08-07-2020, 04:20 PM
Nick_L
Racer

Originally Posted by DBJoe996
Do you even own a 996? Just wondering if you have any cards in the game?
Yes I do, it's my second: https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...-new-life.html
Old 08-07-2020, 10:09 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 524 Posts

This is a reoccurring question so i might just answer that.

An engine builder/assemblers task is to put an engine together, tear down and build up. Much like you learn in the army to take apart your gun and put it together you need practice working with it to become good. An engineers task is to construct and design the engine, the more you do it the better you become. To do this you don't need to see the engine(but it might help some times), you just need to understand how an engine should be built. Think about it. The team which design the M96(or plenty of other engines) only got to see it some years after they started their design work. You can't tear apart and build something that does not exist.

Builders and engineers both work on the same stuff but in different ways.

Circling back to the IMS bearing. Since I own a 996 (my second) and I have the general layout of the chain drives etc etc I can easily analyse it. Engineering work. No need to build or tear apart, it is not relevant for this work. Actually I'm doing it to avoid tearing it down or having problems with it...or throwing my money away on useless stuff. I think it's not just me who is interested in that.
Ok - so you are what we call; "book smart". Theories, tables, equations, and charts. This bearing, has a fairly well defined set of parameters and loads - as EXPECTED over its life cycle. Guess what? All the understanding in the world of how an engine should be built does not equate to getting it right on the drawing board. What you, and the Porsche engineers seemed to, have missed is that there are several other factors in-play that were not properly accounted for. There are more axial and radial forces exerted on the IMSB than the designers figured on. There are many other factors, as well. You have mentioned them yourself (oil contamination and high heat).

You can consult all the SKF calculations you want. The real world is a whole different place.

Your engineering work doesn't mean **** until you actually live it. I don't think you have ever lived in the real world.
The following 2 users liked this post by Scott at Team Harco:
996-CAB (04-07-2023), yaz996 (09-16-2020)
Old 08-07-2020, 10:47 PM
cbracerx
Rennlist Member

Received 400 Likes on 261 Posts

Zipper8650 (09-06-2020)
Old 08-08-2020, 04:41 AM
Nick_L
Racer

There are more axial and radial forces exerted on the IMSB than the designers figured on.
How do you know this, please explain. Can you quantify it and explain where these forces come from?

And I hope you are aware that in the engineering process there is also real life testing, an important part. What engineering basically does is help you minimise unforeseen issues during the testing part, rapidly accelerating time to develop stuff.

Then ONLY thing I wanted to know was: Is the bearing strong(load vs life) enough or not. Answer is: yes, it is.
Knowing this makes a lot of difference. I don't need a stronger bearing, just needs to be protected. And seeing that some cars go very long indicates that it's basically boils down to taking care of your car. Unless you had a faulty bearing for whatever reason from the beginning hence you might want to inspect it.

If you value real life on road testing, i highly doubt anyone comes close to hours/miles that Porsche did during the development.
no-pistons (01-14-2023)

Quick Reply: The IMS discussion thread (Read this first!)