Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

The IMS discussion thread (Read this first!)

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2020, 03:29 PM
Tractionless
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm considering a 996 and cannot find any info. in this thread regarding the track record of the European Parts Solution oiled IMS bearing.

https://www.europeanpartssolution.com/ims-bearing-upgrade-kit

Thanks for any help you can lend!
Old 05-12-2020, 04:30 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 545 Posts

Originally Posted by Tractionless
I'm considering a 996 and cannot find any info. in this thread regarding the track record of the European Parts Solution oiled IMS bearing.

https://www.europeanpartssolution.com/ims-bearing-upgrade-kit

Thanks for any help you can lend!
Google it.
Old 05-12-2020, 04:45 PM
Tractionless
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 808Bill
Google it.
The obvious answer you gave is fruitless and is why I posted in this thread.

Old 05-12-2020, 04:54 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,166 Likes on 746 Posts

Thanks Captain Obvious!

Looking for first hand experiences with the product not search engine mumbo jumbo.
Just buy the LN Engineering IMS Solution and be done with it. It is the best, and if you''re going in there to do that, that is the solution. I would venture a guess that no one will way in on the EPS DOF IMS replacement. You can do it if you want to...your car your engine. But the Solution is the Solution.
Old 05-12-2020, 05:06 PM
Tractionless
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DBJoe996
Just buy the LN Engineering IMS Solution and be done with it. It is the best, and if you''re going in there to do that, that is the solution. I would venture a guess that no one will way in on the EPS DOF IMS replacement. You can do it if you want to...your car your engine. But the Solution is the Solution.
The vehicle I'm considering already has the EPS oiled unit in place and is why I'm looking to find out if it's worthy. Or should I consider the car to be in the same predicament as OE.
Old 05-12-2020, 06:07 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,165 Likes on 795 Posts

Old 05-13-2020, 11:24 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 545 Posts

The obvious answer you gave is fruitless and is why I posted in this thread.
And this was the only link on the subject?
Old 05-13-2020, 07:13 PM
Tractionless
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 808Bill
And this was the only link on the subject?
This link wasn't on the first few pages of the google search I did after posting here as a long time member. The only hit that came up for the EPS is that it's an available option, no duh.

It seems the forum consensus is LMS or you're in the same boat as OE. Got it! Thanks
Old 05-14-2020, 09:43 AM
Nick_L
Racer

Received 89 Likes on 60 Posts

Tractionless: The EPS is oversize (as all of the IMS bearings are, original or aftermarket), it's not a parts issue. The EPS, as with other aftermarket, are NOT sealed so you need to change oil frequently and using original spec(this is important as it blocks particle sizes which are damaging for the bearing) air/oil filters. Common to keep all bearings(and the engine in total) running for a long time is to keep the engine temp low(on average, coolant well below boiling): clean the radiators out frequently. Cooling can be improved: https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...-radiator.html
Old 05-16-2020, 02:38 PM
Tractionless
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Nick_L
Tractionless: The EPS is oversize (as all of the IMS bearings are, original or aftermarket), it's not a parts issue. The EPS, as with other aftermarket, are NOT sealed so you need to change oil frequently and using original spec(this is important as it blocks particle sizes which are damaging for the bearing) air/oil filters. Common to keep all bearings(and the engine in total) running for a long time is to keep the engine temp low(on average, coolant well below boiling): clean the radiators out frequently. Cooling can be improved: https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...-radiator.html
Thanks for the technical response Nick! I don't mind the open bearing as maintenance hasn't been in issue with me. I'll perform 3k mile oil changes if necessary. When members say IMS Solution or nothing it immediately throws a flag in my mind of others being structurally inadequate.
Old 06-20-2020, 12:30 PM
Goldenzrule
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

This may have been asked and I missed it, so my apologies if it was answered already. What is the typical price range for IMS replacement with LNE bearing with the oil feed line?
Old 06-20-2020, 02:42 PM
Nick_L
Racer

You need to call your garage as labor is a large part of the job and you need to find an experienced garage. Price for the parts you find online. There was a case recently discussed here where the shop messed up the installation due to lack of experience, basically messing up a fully functioning engine.

(This is my opinion and I used to work with bearings)To answer a question you haven't asked: There is no need for an oil feed, a stronger or different bearing... just a replacement. You don't need a different bearing but it's maybe good mentally if the IMSB scares you.

Best way of doing it is to pop the cover for an inspection first, both of the current bearing and the engine in general. If it's in good condition(no excessive play and turns butter smooth) I would leave it in place but most people would probably replace it anyway.

And also, see my advice in the post above.
Old 06-20-2020, 02:52 PM
Goldenzrule
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick_L
You need to call your garage as labor is a large part of the job and you need to find an experienced garage. Price for the parts you find online. There was a case recently discussed here where the shop messed up the installation due to lack of experience, basically messing up a fully functioning engine.

(This is my opinion and I used to work with bearings)To answer a question you haven't asked: There is no need for an oil feed, a stronger or different bearing... just a replacement. You don't need a different bearing but it's maybe good mentally if the IMSB scares you.

Best way of doing it is to pop the cover for an inspection first, both of the current bearing and the engine in general. If it's in good condition(no excessive play and turns butter smooth) I would leave it in place but most people would probably replace it anyway.

And also, see my advice in the post above.
Nick,

Thank you for the response. I reached out to a local shop that specializes in both Porsche and performance/race cars to get an idea on costs. I know it can definitely vary, and want a shop with experience with this. I am taking my S6 there for service after a couple local Indy shops didn't really know the car that well. I would think of changing the bearing mainly for peace of mind. Correct me if I'm wrong, but to accurately check the bearing, you have to tear the car apart anyway and separate the transmission. At that point, wouldn't the labor be close to just changing it? I'm sorry if I'm off on this, I'm just learning about the platform now.
Old 06-20-2020, 05:02 PM
Nick_L
Racer

Yes, you are correct that the extra labor of replacing it is minimal once you have it apart enough to check it. These bearings go bad from time to time but if they are good they are designed to last in excess of a million miles. If your bearing is good, you know it's good.....if you replace it with something else you're not sure about the new bearing(or it's installation). As they say "If it's not broken, don't fix it"....or google 'bathtub curve' to understand statistically how to think about it.
Old 06-24-2020, 12:56 PM
Billup
Burning Brakes

Received 593 Likes on 331 Posts

Posted this in another thread but will share here for cost visibility; 11/99 build date, service performed 08/2017 with 26,800 miles. Indy ran by Jeff Brubaker of Kraftwerks in north central OH, found on LN's site as a certified solution installer;

Replaced stock dual row with LN retrofit (pending passing pre-qualification checks), replace RMS, AOS, clutch, flywheel, fluids, LN magnetic drain plug, scan service/activate PCM, and install LN spin-on filter adapter.

Total with tax; $3,373.90

Majority of the other components are accessible when replacing the IMS so there wasn't much change in labor, just additional cost for the parts.
The following 2 users liked this post by Billup:
Fracture (06-25-2020), user 8298308 (06-24-2020)

Quick Reply: The IMS discussion thread (Read this first!)