Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

The IMS discussion thread (Read this first!)

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2021, 06:24 PM
Dgmorr
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm gathering the final parts for my winter maintenance. Purchased the Pelican IMSB and realized it doesn't come with a flange - just a seal. Do I need to replace my ims flange with an updated version or will the new seal fit in the original flange? I have no idea if mine has been updated at this point.
Old 01-25-2021, 02:18 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,122 Likes on 590 Posts

The Pelican kit comes with both the early and late seal; if you want to update the flange to have one with the newer triple lip seal, you'd have to buy a new one from Porsche or find a used one with the updated seal design.
Old 02-23-2021, 11:29 PM
Dgmorr
Track Day

Well, my plan was to replace my IMSB with the Pelican bearing with the intention of replacing it on an interval - 2-3 years possibly (about 5-8k km a year.) I just discovered that I have a dual row in my 01 and it feels even more firm rolling than the Pelican IMSB that I was planning to install. Would you guys put an old bearing back in or just go ahead with replacing?

I went with the Pelican kit because I can't justify the prices of the other kits (yes I will certainly regret it if I ever have an IMSB failure.) I have a shop and tools to do this job on an interval so I figured the Pelican kit was best for me.

I have a leaking RMS anyway so I had to get in there. It has the updated RMS and 3 row flange seal, I can only assume the previous owner decided to keep the dual row and just replace seals and clutch.

Is it even an IMSB job without a pic?

Last edited by Dgmorr; 02-23-2021 at 11:33 PM.
Old 02-23-2021, 11:34 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,854 Likes on 1,014 Posts

Originally Posted by Dgmorr
Well, my plan was to replace my IMSB with the Pelican bearing with the intention of replacing it on an interval - 2-3 years possibly (about 5-8k km a year.) I just discovered that I have a dual row in my 01 and it feels even more firm rolling than the Pelican IMSB that I was planning to install. Would you guys put an old bearing back in or just go ahead with replacing?

I went with the Pelican kit because I can't justify the prices of the other kits (yes I will certainly regret it if I ever have an IMSB failure.) I have a shop and tools to do this job on an interval so I figured the Pelican kit was best for me.

I have a leaking RMS anyway so I had to get in there. It has the updated RMS and 3 row flange seal, I can only assume the previous owner decided to keep the dual row and just replace seals and clutch.
First of all, once the IMS bearing is extracted from the shaft, never reinstall it. The structure of the bearing is compromised. If you just discovered it's a dual row bearing and you haven't extracted it, then the choice is yours regarding "rolling the dice" or not. Personally, even though the bearing is the more robust dual row, it has still been in service for more than 20 years. It is time to replace it. If you don't want to worry about it again, then install the LN Engineering IMS Solution and be done with it.
Old 02-24-2021, 12:37 AM
Dgmorr
Track Day

Originally Posted by b3freak
it has still been in service for more than 20 years. It is time to replace it.
Good enough point, I keep forgetting that with this car
Old 02-24-2021, 02:31 AM
AnthonyGS
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 90 Posts

I’m still pretty new to Porsches but have been a mechanic and in the car hobby my entire life. Okay my first memories of helping dad on race cars starts at age five.

The car hobby changed with the internet. A lot of the car websites were bought up by a big IT company to make money on ads. Another investment company bought up a bunch of marquee independent parts shops including Turner, ECS, and Pelican. The owners cashed out, a lot of the employees left or were cut, and the knowledge and experience these companies had is gone or greatly diminished,

For that reason, you need to be really careful what you buy and from where. About 6 months ago, I bought name brand Porsche 944 engine mounts with a lifetime guarantee from a reputable vendor. They were absolute junk. I ended up having to pay a huge price for genuine a Porsche ones. I hated it, but it was the right thing to do.

Would I use the Pelican bearing kit? Not likely.

The problem is that you are now stuck between a rock and a hard place. You pulled your bearing out to find out it’s in good shape. That’s great. Now you have to make the potentially $20,000 decision what to put in it’s place.

Good luck.
Old 02-24-2021, 08:22 AM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,166 Likes on 746 Posts

You are a fool runnng an idiots errand. You have pulled your dual row IMSB. You cannot re-install it because now it is damaged. Take my advise - pony up for the LN Solution NOW and be done with this problem. Do you not see a bit of a dollar differential between "yeah, I'll just pull everything apart every 2-3 years and replace" rather one time cost, one time installation, one time done. Oh, and how many other things can go wrong dropping the transmission and engine for IMSB replacement every 2 years. I think this is a stupid idea and a bad choice. Oh, and have you read any of the other posts in this thread? Okay...done...rant over. It is all just my humble opinion anyway.

And also, you own a Porsche. Own up to the cost of doing it right, correctly and perfect this first time. I am so looking forward to paying the cost of an upcoming CT scan and cancer biopsy. It's the price one has to pay to keep living. It is the price you pay to keep your car living....get it?

Last edited by DBJoe996; 02-24-2021 at 08:35 AM.
Old 02-24-2021, 10:37 AM
plpete84
Drifting

Received 1,773 Likes on 905 Posts

As others have said, I'd really steer clear of the Pelican option. It's not the ideal solution and just think of the time it will take you to do this job every 2-3 years. Time is money. It does look like LN did take the prices up quite a bit on their retrofit as it is $900 now. The shop that did my replacement charged me $680 for the part. If cost is really an issue I'd suggest the EPS IMS as an option at about $580. That's what came out of my car and after about 55k miles it looked to be in perfect shape with zero play of any kind. It's a Porsche and ownership really won't be cheap but if you have the time, space and tools to do it yourself you're saving a decent chunk on labor. Get the good parts.
Old 02-24-2021, 05:31 PM
DSC800
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by plpete84
As others have said, I'd really steer clear of the Pelican option. It's not the ideal solution and just think of the time it will take you to do this job every 2-3 years. Time is money. It does look like LN did take the prices up quite a bit on their retrofit as it is $900 now. The shop that did my replacement charged me $680 for the part. If cost is really an issue I'd suggest the EPS IMS as an option at about $580. That's what came out of my car and after about 55k miles it looked to be in perfect shape with zero play of any kind. It's a Porsche and ownership really won't be cheap but if you have the time, space and tools to do it yourself you're saving a decent chunk on labor. Get the good parts.
I quickly ruled out the Pelican bearing as being little better than Porsches OEM. Maybe it is, maybe not, but not worth the cost/benefit.

Plus One on the EPS bearing, it was an easy self install for my dual-row replacement last month at 54k miles with new clutch, etc. They claimed to never have had a failure so I did all the google research I could and couldn't find a single one. I noticed the LN prices just keep going up. I even saw a post from about 5 years ago that someone paid $800* for the "solution" that is now priced at $1,900!. So all the development costs were recovered long ago, the sum cost of the parts are likely less than a couple hundred bucks and yet the price has more than doubled, not even counting the expensive "pre-qualification", tools, etc so I had to pass on it. EPS prices went up something like 30% during this time too, but still relatively reasonable (imho).

* Edited - I can't find the post of someone purchasing the "Solution" for just $800. I could be wrong, they could be wrong, or it could have been an ebay purchase.

Last edited by DSC800; 02-24-2021 at 06:50 PM.
Old 02-24-2021, 05:44 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,122 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by DSC800
I quickly ruled out the Pelican bearing as being little better than Porsches OEM. Maybe it is, maybe not, but not worth the cost/benefit.

Plus One on the EPS bearing, it was an easy self install for my dual-row replacement last month at 54k miles with new clutch, etc. They claimed to never have had a failure so I did all the google research I could and couldn't find a single one. I noticed the LN prices just keep going up. I even saw a post from about 5 years ago that someone paid $800 for the "solution" that is now priced at $1,900!. So all the development costs were recovered long ago, the sum cost of the parts are likely less than a couple hundred bucks and yet the price has more than doubled, not even counting the expensive "pre-qualification", tools, etc so I had to pass on it. EPS prices went up something like 30% during this time too, but still relatively reasonable (imho).
Just for clarification, the IMS Solution has never been $800. When first released it debuted at $1725. People often refer to the retrofit as the solution in error, hence your confusion.

Last edited by Charles Navarro; 02-24-2021 at 05:48 PM.
The following users liked this post:
dporto (03-02-2021)
Old 03-13-2021, 03:10 PM
Glenn M
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

05 996 C4s MT - 75k miles - NOT removing the heads - no maintenance records when purchased at 59k miles four years ago.
Wish Porsche would download maintenance records according to VIN. Tried when I purchased the car.

Getting ready to do the IMS bearing and have the 996 LN Eng. Single Row Pro IMS Retrofit kit I purchased from Pelican last fall.

Where can I rent or borrow the correct tools required to perform the IMS and RMS including the cam lock tools?
I don't want another huge investment for the tools (no plans on doing this again). I'm located in Maryland.

Dropping the engine and trans to do the IMS, RMS, clutch/PP/bearing/flywheel,/bolts updated clutch fork and UAOS.
While in there want to replace the plugs, coils, injectors, oil pressure relief valve/spring O-ring, chain adjusters, chain guides/paddle, cam lugs, oil pressure switch, heat exchanger,
upstream O2 sensors, water pump/bolts/thermostat/hoses with plastic ends/T's, pully belt tensioners, MM, guibo, and associated hoses, O-rings, gaskets, bolts, washers.

Parts count and $ is not insignificant to do this work.

Great car I plan to have for awhile.

Appreciate the forums thoughts and advice!
Cheers, Glenn
Old 03-13-2021, 03:44 PM
98mu1937
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got the tools at specialtyautotoolrental@gmail.com

One thing to note if you haven’t already, Porsche uses “stretch” bolts that are single use only. Do your research.
Old 03-14-2021, 12:36 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 545 Posts

Originally Posted by Glenn M
05 996 C4s MT - 75k miles - NOT removing the heads - no maintenance records when purchased at 59k miles four years ago.
Wish Porsche would download maintenance records according to VIN. Tried when I purchased the car.

Getting ready to do the IMS bearing and have the 996 LN Eng. Single Row Pro IMS Retrofit kit I purchased from Pelican last fall.

Where can I rent or borrow the correct tools required to perform the IMS and RMS including the cam lock tools?
I don't want another huge investment for the tools (no plans on doing this again). I'm located in Maryland.

Dropping the engine and trans to do the IMS, RMS, clutch/PP/bearing/flywheel,/bolts updated clutch fork and UAOS.
While in there want to replace the plugs, coils, injectors, oil pressure relief valve/spring O-ring, chain adjusters, chain guides/paddle, cam lugs, oil pressure switch, heat exchanger,
upstream O2 sensors, water pump/bolts/thermostat/hoses with plastic ends/T's, pully belt tensioners, MM, guibo, and associated hoses, O-rings, gaskets, bolts, washers.

Parts count and $ is not insignificant to do this work.

Great car I plan to have for awhile.

Appreciate the forums thoughts and advice!
Cheers, Glenn
The retro-fit will need to be done again, why not install the LN Solution?
The following users liked this post:
jobyt (03-19-2021)
Old 03-19-2021, 06:37 PM
jobyt
Pro

Received 307 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by 808Bill
The retro-fit will need to be done again, why not install the LN Solution?
Concur. I was already budgeting in a Solution when I was looking for mine. That budget quickly...expanded.
Old 03-20-2021, 08:16 AM
nrp3
Pro

Received 133 Likes on 103 Posts

I'm still trying to get a feel for the current condition of the motor. Be that I didn't find much in the pan when I dropped it recently or in the filter, I'm encouraged. I don't know how much use the photos were from sump. That was far more difficult than anticipated. I hope to see the results of the oil analysis next week. Mine being a 03 tip and likely having to drop the motor to do the ims, may as well as go all the way to the solution. Need more info first. AOS, RMS too at the same time, plus a bunch hoses etc, maybe sensors too.

Quick Reply: The IMS discussion thread (Read this first!)