Hannab1969
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 20s on my 996

Old 03-17-2018, 09:20 PM
cobra935o
Instructor

Looks like its jacked up in the rear. How is the ride?
Old 03-17-2018, 09:25 PM
Hannab1969
5th Gear

As good as stock size just came back from Sebring took the back roads home handling is awsom I paid very little for them had to try them
Old 03-17-2018, 09:33 PM
Hannab1969
5th Gear

Only 1 inch tall than stock 285 30 18 now 295 25 20
Old 04-14-2018, 10:52 PM
marked19
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Advise on 40th Anniversary Purchase

My local SoCal Porsche dealer has had a 40th (#300) for sale for a few months. I went to see it today and really enjoyed the look and drive:

https://hoehnporsche.com/inventory/u...tallic+1647625

They originally had it listed for $39995 and have gradually brought it down to $36995. Everything looks like it's in great condition and it drove very well - strong engine and nice feel to the clutch and gears. I know if I decide to purchase it I'll need a PPI, but I'm hopeful all of you can help me a bit first while I decide if I want to buy it. Here are the issues I could use your help with:

Service history - there is very little here. The car is low miles (37,000) and besides a few vague mentions of "vehicle serviced" in the carfax there are only 2 service records available: in Nov. 2013 the prior owner did 4 wheel alignment, 20,000 mile major maintenance, spark plugs and ignition coils, brake fluid flush, drive belt, new battery. The dealer here just put on 4 new tires, Brake fluid flushed/changed, four wheel alignment, new battery, and oil and filter changed. If a PPI looks good, can I live with this or is this car a potential ticking time bomb (I know it is to a degree anyway with the IMS, but is that worse with no history of oil changes or other services and the low miles)?

I know I'll want to upgrade the IMS and I know what that costs - how should I adjust the price based on that?

The car has clear bra on the front hood, fenders, bumper, and headlights. It's really scratched up badly - I guess better the clear bra than the paint. It will definitely need to be taken off - so any idea how much that will cost and to get the paint corrected? I'm a bit surprised the dealer didn't remove it because it's the only thing cosmetically that looks bad on the car.

The carfax notes damage to the rear Sept. 2013, and the dealer says the bumper was re-sprayed - it looks fine to me. Should I take anything off the price due to that?

It's hard for me to figure out the correct price for this car. I know it's special and has lots of great features and is a limited edition. When I look at the http://www.40jahre911.com/40-jahre-911-listed-for-sale web site, prices are all over the place, although $34-$36k is in the range. kbb.com for the 40th Anniversary with 37K miles shows a fair purchase price of $26,975 and that seems really low. So what would you suggest I offer for this car given what little I know about the history and the need to remove the clear bra, correct the paint, and take care of the IMS? Are there any other issues I should be concerned about?

Thanks for whatever thoughts you can share on my potential purchase of this great Porsche!

Ed
Old 04-14-2018, 11:08 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by marked19
My local SoCal Porsche dealer has had a 40th (#300) for sale for a few months. I went to see it today and really enjoyed the look and drive:

They originally had it listed for $39995 and have gradually brought it down to $36995. Everything looks like it's in great condition and it drove very well - strong engine and nice feel to the clutch and gears. I know if I decide to purchase it I'll need a PPI, but I'm hopeful all of you can help me a bit first while I decide if I want to buy it. Here are the issues I could use your help with:

Service history - there is very little here. The car is low miles (37,000) and besides a few vague mentions of "vehicle serviced" in the carfax there are only 2 service records available: in Nov. 2013 the prior owner did 4 wheel alignment, 20,000 mile major maintenance, spark plugs and ignition coils, brake fluid flush, drive belt, new battery. The dealer here just put on 4 new tires, Brake fluid flushed/changed, four wheel alignment, new battery, and oil and filter changed. If a PPI looks good, can I live with this or is this car a potential ticking time bomb (I know it is to a degree anyway with the IMS, but is that worse with no history of oil changes or other services and the low miles)?

I know I'll want to upgrade the IMS and I know what that costs - how should I adjust the price based on that?

The car has clear bra on the front hood, fenders, bumper, and headlights. It's really scratched up badly - I guess better the clear bra than the paint. It will definitely need to be taken off - so any idea how much that will cost and to get the paint corrected? I'm a bit surprised the dealer didn't remove it because it's the only thing cosmetically that looks bad on the car.

The carfax notes damage to the rear Sept. 2013, and the dealer says the bumper was re-sprayed - it looks fine to me. Should I take anything off the price due to that?

It's hard for me to figure out the correct price for this car. I know it's special and has lots of great features and is a limited edition. When I look at the http://www.40jahre911.com/40-jahre-911-listed-for-sale web site, prices are all over the place, although $34-$36k is in the range. kbb.com for the 40th Anniversary with 37K miles shows a fair purchase price of $26,975 and that seems really low. So what would you suggest I offer for this car given what little I know about the history and the need to remove the clear bra, correct the paint, and take care of the IMS? Are there any other issues I should be concerned about?

Thanks for whatever thoughts you can share on my potential purchase of this great Porsche!

Ed
You're right - they are priced all over the place. Here's recent sale, admittedly at the high end but it provides one point of reference for you.
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...911-carrera-7/

KBB will be closer to what a dealer will pay (wholesale) - private party sales should be in the mid $30's assuming PPI is OK. IMS "fix" could be a couple of thousand dollars. I did IMS Solution, RMS, clutch and AOS for about $4,500 2 years ago.
Old 04-14-2018, 11:22 PM
RWPinNC
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by marked19

Ed
Invest in an AutoCheck in the dealer doesn't have access. They frequently list the service vendor and phone number. I was able to complete my Caracas service history with a little phone work. Your PPI will include an inverted report. Also, you are close to the 40,000 mile major service that will include several maintenance items including belts, plugs, fluids, etc. Pricing sounds close to reasonable. You might try to negotiate a reduced price on 40000 mile service, it have them detail car. Good luck.
Old 04-17-2018, 07:17 PM
Sarki
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Time for replacement tires
Completely stock AE with original wheels and no suspension mods.
Anybody with stock suspension and wheels running 235/40/18 up front and 295/30/18 in back?
Looking to confirm no fitment issues. Confident the rears should be fine but slight concern up front, any rubbing?
All comments appreciated.
Old 04-17-2018, 07:35 PM
Fracture
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Sarki
Time for replacement tires
Completely stock AE with original wheels and no suspension mods.
Anybody with stock suspension and wheels running 235/40/18 up front and 295/30/18 in back?
Looking to confirm no fitment issues. Confident the rears should be fine but slight concern up front, any rubbing?
All comments appreciated.

You're fine, I'm running 235 on the front on a 8.5" wheel and 285 on the rear on a 10.5" wheel
in the past there was 295's on the rear, never any rubbing either stock or lowered
Old 04-17-2018, 10:07 PM
Sarki
Instructor

Originally Posted by Fracture
You're fine, I'm running 235 on the front on a 8.5" wheel and 285 on the rear on a 10.5" wheel
in the past there was 295's on the rear, never any rubbing either stock or lowered
Hey Fracture, thanks for response. Are the factory AE wheels 8.5” in front and 10.5” in rear?
Old 04-17-2018, 11:02 PM
Fracture
Rennlist Member

Hey Fracture, thanks for response. Are the factory AE wheels 8.5” in front and 10.5” in rear?
no, the factory AE wheels are the shot polished Carrera II's at 8" & 10" fr / rr

I'm using Techart Formulas

Old 04-17-2018, 11:11 PM
Sarki
Instructor

So no issue running with the 235/40/18’s on the factory 8” wheel up front and 295/30/18’s in back on the factory 10” wheel?
Planning to have these mounted up tomorrow if all good.
Old 04-17-2018, 11:42 PM
Fracture
Rennlist Member

So no issue running with the 235/40/18’s on the factory 8” wheel up front and 295/30/18’s in back on the factory 10” wheel?
Planning to have these mounted up tomorrow if all good.
the 295's in back, are they Sumi's ?
I had a set of those and while very attractively priced they were at the end of their life cycle
One they stiffen up they become quite noisy
Also Sumi's 295 runs a little wide, almost like a shoe that 'runs large'

You'll be fine, some racers have run 305 in the back
the MKII's have more clearance in the wells than previous 996's

http://www.alloywheelsdirect.net/inf..._chart/porsche
Old 04-18-2018, 12:27 AM
Sarki
Instructor

Yup, decided to give the Sumi’s a shot as I know of several people who are very happy with them. Just wasn’t sure on the size as currently running P Zero’s 225/40/18 up front and 285/30/18 in back. Ordered the larger size in error but seems to be ok so i’ll go with it and have them installed tomorrow.
Thanks for the help.
Old 04-18-2018, 03:29 AM
Agent Jester
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

So I've always wondered this, the 40th front bumper looks the same as the Turbo and C4S. Is it the same fitment? Or is there a NB fitment for the front bumper? Or are they all the same size and the a$$ end is the difference?

Quick Reply: 996 40th Anniversary Edition Registry & FAQ