996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

996 40th Anniversary Edition Registry & FAQ

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 12:59 AM
40th996
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Ted, I'm curious about U1312 on the registry...Its says the car was spotted at European Auto House for service. Would love to know where that picture came from and see if there are others.
Old 11-08-2017, 04:55 PM
Santyorch
Intermediate

Hello everyone!

I have number 298 in excellent condition. I bought it in December 2016 with 67.3K and barely put 2.5 K miles on her. I payed 29 K and fixed the gas pump that gave me a couple of bad moments when she just stop working and then after towing the car, a couple of days later, she started again. I change the starter too, which was doing a kind of weird noise. Interior and exterior are in excellent condition. I also replaced a broken sunshade and change the 5CD holder on the console by an original tray. That's it. It is in such a good shape that I just keep it washed, clean and in original condition. I try not to drive it when raining.

In the other hand, I bought last September a good condition but not well maintained 86 aircooled Targa with 99K. It was just a lucky garage found. It was not planned, but given the opportunity I decided to buy it and since then I have been enjoying fixing stuff on it and giving her the TLC needed. In the last month I've changed the bushings in the stick, replace all the mounts, changed CV joints, ball joints, new breaks and recently repair the electric windows that were not working. Still there is a bunch of bugs to get rid of.

I love the 40th but it is in such a good condition that I spend more time on the Targa. I tried once the autocross, I enjoyed it, but I don't want to stress or modify her for that purpose. I like better to care, drive and maintain the cars rather than race them. The car doesn't have the IMS up-grade and even if I have been performing all the mechanical stuff described above, I don't think I'm fully prepared to do it, so that means to spend 4-6 K just for peace of mind. Another factor is my two space garage and the need to keep both babies there during the winter here in Michigan.

So, I wonder if I should spend the IMS money or I should better sell it and keep the Targa. 298 is 70K and is in excellent condition, clean title and Carfax, a considerable service record. If you go months back in this timeline you'll see when it was advertised in California. That was posted here around a year ago. The care was own before by a person registered in this group who moved into a 997.

If I decide to sell it, I don't know how much should I ask and if is a good moment to sell considering the amount of them on the market now. I'm not very experienced on selling cars so, any comment or thoughts from you will be well received!
Old 11-08-2017, 05:12 PM
Chicago6MT
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Santyorch
The car doesn't have the IMS up-grade and even if I have been performing all the mechanical stuff described above, I don't think I'm fully prepared to do it, so that means to spend 4-6 K just for peace of mind. Another factor is my two space garage and the need to keep both babies there during the winter here in Michigan.
Congrats! Keep it! An IMS fix is far less than $4-6k, unless you're adding in a new clutch, RMS, AOS, water pump, etc. If so, all that should come in around $5k.
Old 11-09-2017, 10:15 AM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

IMS Solution can be in the $4-6k range; the bearing retrofit far less. I had the bearing but upgraded to the IMS Solution at my last clutch change.

I know this is sacrilege in the 40th thread here, but if you're more of a show&shine collector guy, sell the 40th and keep the Targa. The air-cooled 911s will only continue to become more special as time goes on.

The 40th is special because it's a really great *driver* 911. It's a non-GT3, non-turbo 996, so it's affordable, but it's head and shoulders above a regular 996 due to the unique styling, rarity, and factory options like X51 and m030. It's easy to daily-drive or take out on track or autocross. You definitely don't need any mods whatsoever to autocross it. But is it a great collector's car? Not really, not compared to an air-cooled targa.

If it was me, I would keep the 40th over the '86, but that's because I am really into the performance driving aspect and just enjoy the show&shine part as an added bonus.
Old 11-09-2017, 10:17 AM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Oh and by the way, be sure to ask at least $30k for it! 40th asking prices have been on the rise. I don't think anyone would pay $40k for a 70k mile example just yet, but you could ask $35 and I don't think anyone would scoff at you.
Old 11-09-2017, 10:26 AM
Santyorch
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Chicago6MT
Congrats! Keep it! An IMS fix is far less than $4-6k, unless you're adding in a new clutch, RMS, AOS, water pump, etc. If so, all that should come in around $5k.
Thanks!! Any place you would recommend in Chicago area? I contacted LM. You did yours with them?
Old 11-09-2017, 10:30 AM
Santyorch
Intermediate

Originally Posted by knfeparty
Oh and by the way, be sure to ask at least $30k for it! 40th asking prices have been on the rise. I don't think anyone would pay $40k for a 70k mile example just yet, but you could ask $35 and I don't think anyone would scoff at you.
Thank you very much for your reply. You are right, the fact that if the AE is a collectible or not make sense to what I question my self. For sure is an amazing car to drive. I bought it as my first Porsche and it was a very nice welcome!!

Thanks you for the numbers too! Those really will help me to take the decision. Regards
Old 11-10-2017, 02:02 AM
Fracture
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 178 Posts

selling price aside, if the Targa really does it for ya
sell the AE

they pop up all the time or sale
Old 11-11-2017, 09:25 AM
e90steve
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by knfeparty
IMS Solution can be in the $4-6k range; the bearing retrofit far less. I had the bearing but upgraded to the IMS Solution at my last clutch change.
The IMS solution should only be about $800 more than the retrofit. Any additional cost beyond that would be in the tool to install if your shop has yet to acquire the special tool needed to install the solution. In that case they might stick it to you in order to pay for the specialty tool. But assuming they already have the tools for either install, it shouldn’t be that much more to go with the solution vs the retrofit. For either, the cost is in the labor to access the IMS. And then the “while your in there” bug takes over.
Old 11-11-2017, 09:38 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by e90steve
The IMS solution should only be about $800 more than the retrofit. Any additional cost beyond that would be in the tool to install if your shop has yet to acquire the special tool needed to install the solution. In that case they might stick it to you in order to pay for the specialty tool. But assuming they already have the tools for either install, it shouldn’t be that much more to go with the solution vs the retrofit. For either, the cost is in the labor to access the IMS. And then the “while your in there” bug takes over.
Yep...$4,500 will get you IMS Solution, clutch, AOS and RMS.
Old 11-13-2017, 02:48 PM
e90steve
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 41 Posts

After missing out on a 40th locally, I pulled the trigger on one from out of state.

The car has 70k miles and upon purchase I had it immediately dropped off at Chapman Autowerks in VA to complete the LN IMS, RMS, AOS, Alignment, Clutch, Flywheel, Full Fluid Swap, and New Tires. Mechanicals perform beautifully. Once they had the car all fixed up, it was loaded on a trailer and delivered to me here.

I took delivery on No. 1281 last week finally! What a car! Enjoying every second. Coming from a 996 C4S previously, the 40ths are truly a gem. The extra HP, lighter weight and all the other goodies from interior to exterior truly make this an exceptional model. I cross shopped with 997S's and couldn't be happier with my decision from a performance and investment standpoint.

An interesting add-on this car has what I believe is referred to as the Carrera Wing. It's OEM and from what I understand fairly rare. It looks amazing in person.

So add me to the list! It's official!
Attached Images   
Old 11-13-2017, 07:49 PM
Chicago6MT
Instructor

Originally Posted by e90steve
After missing out on a 40th locally, I pulled the trigger on one from out of state.

The car has 70k miles and upon purchase I had it immediately dropped off at Chapman Autowerks in VA to complete the LN IMS, RMS, AOS, Alignment, Clutch, Flywheel, Full Fluid Swap, and New Tires. Mechanicals perform beautifully. Once they had the car all fixed up, it was loaded on a trailer and delivered to me here.

I took delivery on No. 1281 last week finally! What a car! Enjoying every second. Coming from a 996 C4S previously, the 40ths are truly a gem. The extra HP, lighter weight and all the other goodies from interior to exterior truly make this an exceptional model. I cross shopped with 997S's and couldn't be happier with my decision from a performance and investment standpoint.

An interesting add-on this car has what I believe is referred to as the Carrera Wing. It's OEM and from what I understand fairly rare. It looks amazing in person.

So add me to the list! It's official!
Congrats and welcome! Dig the wing. Not too overstated.
Old 11-13-2017, 07:56 PM
Chicago6MT
Instructor

Originally Posted by Santyorch
Thanks!! Any place you would recommend in Chicago area? I contacted LM. You did yours with them?
My car was serviced at Euroquipe in St. Charles, as well as few dealerships, prior to my purchase. Euroquipe is a pretty well known indy. I took the car there for my PPI. Midwest on Lake near Ogden in Chicago would be my preference since they're a mile from my house, but I've heard and read too many bad things. There a few others that guys swear by.

LN has the following "approved installers," but I can't speak to them:

Rennology Motor Sport Inc – North Aurora | 329 Airport Rd., Nort Aurora, IL 60542
ph: 331-302-5027 |email: info@rennology.com

Rennology Motor Sport Inc – Mokena | 8901 W. 192nd St. Suite A, Mokena, IL 60448
ph: 708-687-5258 |email: info@rennology.com

BT Racing | Bart Tchorzewski | 1910 Greenwood St | Evanston, IL 60201
tel. 312-560-1563 |email: btracingchicago@gmail.com

My approach has always been to start with my physical location and move from there, unless I get a personal recommendation. Once I find a few shops with good general reviews and do a bit of due diligence, I start making calls and let my intuition guide me.

Good luck!
Old 11-13-2017, 10:33 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Chicago6MT
My car was serviced at Euroquipe in St. Charles, as well as few dealerships, prior to my purchase. Euroquipe is a pretty well known indy. I took the car there for my PPI. Midwest on Lake near Ogden in Chicago would be my preference since they're a mile from my house, but I've heard and read too many bad things. There a few others that guys swear by.

LN has the following "approved installers," but I can't speak to them:

Rennology Motor Sport Inc – North Aurora | 329 Airport Rd., Nort Aurora, IL 60542
ph: 331-302-5027 |email: info@rennology.com

Rennology Motor Sport Inc – Mokena | 8901 W. 192nd St. Suite A, Mokena, IL 60448
ph: 708-687-5258 |email: info@rennology.com

BT Racing | Bart Tchorzewski | 1910 Greenwood St | Evanston, IL 60201
tel. 312-560-1563 |email: btracingchicago@gmail.com

My approach has always been to start with my physical location and move from there, unless I get a personal recommendation. Once I find a few shops with good general reviews and do a bit of due diligence, I start making calls and let my intuition guide me.

Good luck!
I believe there is only one certified installer for the IMS Solution in Illinois. You can find a list here:

http://imssolution.com/certified-installers/
Old 11-14-2017, 12:27 PM
Santyorch
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
I believe there is only one certified installer for the IMS Solution in Illinois. You can find a list here:

http://imssolution.com/certified-installers/
Sounds great! After all, I think I'll keep the car and do the IMS after the winter. Is so nice to drive it and so different experience compared to the Targa. Both are amazing, I'll keep both for the moment. Thank you very much to you all for your advice! Helped me a lot.

Quick Reply: 996 40th Anniversary Edition Registry & FAQ