Sponsored by:

996 40th Anniversary Edition Registry & FAQ

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 02:58 PM
Litesonic
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sarki
Interesting.......I have a few road trips lined up and was thinking about the options in terms of protecting the nose. Would you mind sharing where you purchased the 40AE specific bra and what you paid? Thanks!
It was on eBay... $75 shipped. NIB.
Kinda a niche audience...

It has the rally style 40 fast years logo embroidered on the frunk piece.
Old 08-09-2014, 02:59 PM
Litesonic
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mas05
I got lucky and picked up a 40th AE bra and the large suitcase all unused locally. I paid $225 which I thought was a great deal! I am on the look out for the rest of the luggage set
That is a smoking deal for the luggage alone I think.

Still waiting to find a set for me.
Old 08-10-2014, 11:00 PM
Fracture
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 180 Posts

owners pics, taken today
finally something acceptable
IMS & RMS scheduled for this month
Old 08-10-2014, 11:12 PM
wknopf
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Beautiful 911...

My 40th is in the shop this week for the IMS/RMS/clutch at Kraftwerks (OH) "preventative maintenance" job. I went with the LN Engineering "Solution" so I can start driving the car again w/o worries. Ten years into ownership, 41,000 miles of pleasure, no issues. Of the four Porsches I've had, this was the only one I bought new, and likely the last one I'll own.
Attached Images  
Old 08-10-2014, 11:17 PM
uribeman
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wknopf
My 40th is in the shop this week for the IMS/RMS/clutch at Kraftwerks (OH) "preventative maintenance" job. I went with the LN Engineering "Solution" so I can start driving the car again w/o worries. Ten years into ownership, 41,000 miles of pleasure, no issues. Of the four Porsches I've had, this was the only one I bought new, and likely the last one I'll own.
"...... and likely the last one I'll own."

Beautiful car! Why will it be the last?
Old 08-10-2014, 11:27 PM
wknopf
Instructor

Default Variety of factors...

...but primarily economic. I'm just in a different place than I was ten years ago financially. And approaching retirement!
Old 08-13-2014, 09:40 PM
J/41
5th Gear

Default 40th AV IMS/tools & parts

Hi Everyone,

I hope all is well..I picked up my new old 2004 40th AV a few weeks ago and refused to drive it without putting in a new IMS bearing. I couldn't sleep until we got to see what my bearing looks like. The car has low forties in mileage and seemed to be well kepted. Well the car had a NSK bearing made in Poland in it and the bearing was like brand new....just perfect. I am sure it was original from the factory.
The clutch disk, pressure plate and flywheel was also in very good condition still having plenty of meat left on it. However I had already gone out and bought all new parts ahead of time. I will also do brakes all around.

Anyone interested in my parts clutch,pressure plate and flywheel..
I also have a brand new Pilot Bearing never used.
I also have all the IMS TOOLs if anyone wants to rent or buy them.
The bearing I used was from SKF in Germany and all Ceramic Bearing, I liked the way this bearing was machined and the fit was perfect...

It has been quite a few years since I have owned a Porsche.. this will be my third one. I really want to get out and drive this car..something about the 40th that just seems right.. only hoping the ride won't be to harsh..

All the best,
John G.
Old 08-13-2014, 09:50 PM
wknopf
Instructor

Default Welcome to the community, John

Good luck with the new 40th anniv car. You sound pretty talented with the wrench!

Bill
Old 08-14-2014, 09:25 PM
TAZ40JAHRE
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

John - great to see you on RL! Can't wait to see pics when she's road-ready. Interesting choice on the new bearing. I suspect that most folks (like me) have gone the LN route. I'm sure they'll all work well and certainly give peace of mind to the owners. Don't forget to email me the car's numbers, too, when she's down from the lift. Thanks.

Ted
Old 08-15-2014, 10:52 AM
J/41
5th Gear

Default Hi Again,

Hi,

Yes the car is off the lift and I must say what a blast to drive this car..It really blew me away..the first time out. Hard to explain to someone like my wife what I am talking about. The engine has more then enough power everywhere. I can see in the wrong hands how someone could get in trouble. I know I am a little old school but changing that IMS bearing has really given me a huge amount of peice of mind. This engine had no medal in the oil or the filter.. I switched over to Castrol
Edge 5-40 for oil with a K&N filter. I drained every bit of oil I could get out of that engine. IMS shaft had a lot of oil come out of it when we opened it up however the shaft was clean as could be. A nice feeling to see that. She took a little over nine qts..and I am still checking.
All brake pads were changed while I was at it.. the old brakes were factory originals and still had some time left.
My concern about the car was the ride, having not ever been in the later cars or a 40th.. We have really bad roads out here. I must say the ride seems great nice and tight with no squeaks.

One question I do have is when I go to start the car up, I push clutch pedal down to the floor then turn the key..seems like there is a hesitation before starter kicks in. is that normal.I thought maybe I was doing something wrong.

Ted I will send you all the info on the car today.. thanks again to everyone, John
Old 08-15-2014, 12:14 PM
Hoodoo
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Congrats on the new ride. Like you, I was pleasantly surprised the first time I drove mine. For comparison, I was given an E92 M3 with the SMG to drive beforehand. The M3 is a fantastic car and the SMG is excellent, but the Porsche just fit better.

FWIW, the starter in my car doesn't hesitate like that.
Old 08-15-2014, 09:43 PM
J/41
5th Gear

Default thanks for that!

Thanks HOODOO,

I don't think it is my starter but maybe the clutch safety switch.. I going to take her down to a buddy of mine who builds hot rods and show him what a real car looks like. I know he will like to see my 40th. I want to do a shake down ride just in case I may need to fix something.. At the end of the month I will be headed to Lime Rock, Conn race track to see the Historic races and car show.. there will be hundreds of Porsches there. I will park in the Porsche Coral and take some pictures. I had collected vintage Alfas for over twenty years so I will be happy to see them on the track.. I sold the cars but still have a bunch of parts. I am presently just about finished with a 1956 Corvette that I restored. A real beauty I can't part with it.. I couldn't drive a car like..

Thanks John
Old 08-16-2014, 09:38 AM
Fracture
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 180 Posts

One question I do have is when I go to start the car up, I push clutch pedal down to the floor then turn the key..seems like there is a hesitation before starter kicks in. is that normal.I thought maybe I was doing something wrong.
I noticed this also, and after observation there is s 5 second delay while the
system checks the oil.
It all plays out on the dash when you switch the the ignition on.
Old 08-16-2014, 08:54 PM
J/41
5th Gear

Default great

Fracture thanks,

Many thanks for your reply, however I think I know what I was doing wrong.. I wasn't pushing the clutch pedal all the way to the floor (short legs) I guess. So safety switch wasn't making contact. John
Old 08-16-2014, 09:23 PM
J/41
5th Gear

Hi Ted, Did you get the info on my car.. I just wanted to follow up to see if you needed anymore information.. John G.

Quick Reply: 996 40th Anniversary Edition Registry & FAQ