Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Time for and updated baby seat model thread? Past threads have outdated names, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 09:10 PM
nc911
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's what I've been using.
Attached Images  
Old 08-27-2013, 10:47 PM
9964runner
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I understand the bubble bum, and the red restraint to position the shoulder belt correctly it your previous pic. rear seat pic looks to need a booster to position the shoulder belt correctly, and could you explain the vest first I've seen.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:42 PM
nc911
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://safetrafficsystem.com/ver4/

The vest is an alternative to a booster seat. Just like a booster, the vest basically adapts the stock belts to fit a child and be effective.
Old 09-29-2013, 11:42 AM
AnakChan
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi chaps, I've got an ageing 996 Cab C4 9.4L and I'm hunting around for a car seat for a 1 yr old which i intend to use in the rear seat.

I've been doing lotsa reading which has been complicated as some of the posts are 8 yrs old and the models are no longer offered. However I think I've narrowed down to a few here :-

1) Britax Roundabout (which one? there's 50 classic and 55)
2) Porsche Junior Seat G1
3) iZi Comfort X3

I did research other models and brands such as the Britax Evolva 1-2-3, Duo Plus & Recaro Young Sport which wasn't a guaranteed fit, Two-Way Elite which was too upright, Maxi Cosi Rubi & Tobi which looked to be too high, Nania Trio Plus which had a recall.

For the 3 seats above, could someone please confirm :-

a) they fit in the back of a Cab C4 as they're narrower than the standard coupe?
b) is the ISOFix base used or only the 3 point seatbelt?

Thank you
Old 09-30-2013, 05:51 PM
roadsession
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by AnakChan
Hi chaps, I've got an ageing 996 Cab C4 9.4L and I'm hunting around for a car seat for a 1 yr old which i intend to use in the rear seat.

I've been doing lotsa reading which has been complicated as some of the posts are 8 yrs old and the models are no longer offered. However I think I've narrowed down to a few here :-

1) Britax Roundabout (which one? there's 50 classic and 55)
2) Porsche Junior Seat G1
3) iZi Comfort X3

I did research other models and brands such as the Britax Evolva 1-2-3, Duo Plus & Recaro Young Sport which wasn't a guaranteed fit, Two-Way Elite which was too upright, Maxi Cosi Rubi & Tobi which looked to be too high, Nania Trio Plus which had a recall.

For the 3 seats above, could someone please confirm :-

a) they fit in the back of a Cab C4 as they're narrower than the standard coupe?
b) is the ISOFix base used or only the 3 point seatbelt?

Thank you
You can't use ISOFIX as there's no anchor in a 996 to connect it to. You have to use seatbelt to secure the seat.

I don't know the laws in Japan but over here you can't put a 1 year old forward facing - they have to be rear facing in a convertible seat or infant seat till around 2 yrs old. The only rear facing infant seat that works well is the Cybex Aton (do a search on Cybex Aton Porsche 911 - you'll see it in action in youtube)

The only forward facing seat that worked for me is the Porsche Junior seat. Others have tried various recaros etc that seem to work for them - look for posts on this thread from the past year - they're all current seats.
Old 09-30-2013, 06:52 PM
996pp
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

nc911
our cars look almost identical

Shearlayer
I can't seem to find a supplier for the maxi cosi Rubi. I found the other models made by maxi cosi but not the rubi.
Do you mind sharing a link if you have?

Never mind I found it on ebay. here is the link
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MAXI-COSI-RU...item3f26563582

Last edited by 996pp; 09-30-2013 at 07:35 PM.
Old 10-01-2013, 01:18 AM
AnakChan
Advanced

Originally Posted by roadsession
You can't use ISOFIX as there's no anchor in a 996 to connect it to. You have to use seatbelt to secure the seat.

I don't know the laws in Japan but over here you can't put a 1 year old forward facing - they have to be rear facing in a convertible seat or infant seat till around 2 yrs old. The only rear facing infant seat that works well is the Cybex Aton (do a search on Cybex Aton Porsche 911 - you'll see it in action in youtube)

The only forward facing seat that worked for me is the Porsche Junior seat. Others have tried various recaros etc that seem to work for them - look for posts on this thread from the past year - they're all current seats.
You've raised a good point. I thought the laws here was just a baby seat needed but didn't think if it went deeper into front or rear facing. I'll check up on that.

I'll also read up on Cybex Aton. I've not heard of that one before.

Thank you.
Old 10-01-2013, 01:07 PM
roadsession
Three Wheelin'

You've raised a good point. I thought the laws here was just a baby seat needed but didn't think if it went deeper into front or rear facing. I'll check up on that.

I'll also read up on Cybex Aton. I've not heard of that one before.

Thank you.
I heard Maxi Cosi Mico also fits as an infant seat.
A convertible seat (one that is both rear facing and then converts to fwd facing) is Maxi Cosi Rubi - some people say it fits - I have NO idea if it does...
Personally I used Combi Coccorro as my convertible car seat, but then when my son was big enough to be forward facing I bought the Porsche Junior seat

Here's the Combi Coccorro I fitted in my car:

Here's the maxi cosi in a Porsche:

and finally here's the Porsche Junior Seat in my car - the most secure fitting one I have found:

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...or-my-son.html
Old 10-02-2013, 01:53 AM
AnakChan
Advanced

[snip!]and finally here's the Porsche Junior Seat in my car - the most secure fitting one I have found:

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...or-my-son.html
@Roadsession, that is excellent. I've never seen the Porshe Junior Seat set in a 996Cab before so those pictures are very useful. I think your post has helped me make up my mind to go for it.

Looks like Japan doesn't have the requirement for 1yr + (or under 2 yrs to be more precise) to have rear facing. Only under 1 yr needs to be rear facing.

Edit: for my son's 1st year he used (in fact still using) a Maxi Cosi Pebble, installed in the same way as yours.
2nd Edit: Porsche Junior Seat ordered. Thx again chaps, for the guidance!!

Last edited by AnakChan; 10-02-2013 at 02:23 AM. Reason: Adding superfolous info.
Old 10-02-2013, 01:58 AM
roadsession
Three Wheelin'

@Roadsession, that is excellent. I've never seen the Porshe Junior Seat set in a 996Cab before so those pictures are very useful. I think your post has helped me make up my mind to go for it.

Looks like Japan doesn't have the requirement for 1yr + (or under 2 yrs to be more precise) to have rear facing. Only under 1 yr needs to be rear facing.

Edit: for my son's 1st year he used (in fact still using) a Maxi Cosi Pebble, installed in the same way as yours.
Ok I just checked and looks like the seat is discontinued
You can still check eBay - they come up once in a while

If not the new model fits fine too it's also called Porsche Junior seat.

Also I removed rear seat back - you gain valuable inches
Old 10-02-2013, 04:49 AM
AnakChan
Advanced

Ok I just checked and looks like the seat is discontinued
You can still check eBay - they come up once in a while

If not the new model fits fine too it's also called Porsche Junior seat.

Also I removed rear seat back - you gain valuable inches
I ordered the following in the end :-

http://www.design911.com/Porsche-Jun...8-kg-/prod422/

It doesn't have the front padding protection which your older model has. Not too sure why that was dropped 'cos I would have thought that front padding protection was a good idea. I guess I'll just see how it goes when it arrives.
Old 10-02-2013, 11:34 AM
roadsession
Three Wheelin'

I ordered the following in the end :-

http://www.design911.com/Porsche-Jun...8-kg-/prod422/

It doesn't have the front padding protection which your older model has. Not too sure why that was dropped 'cos I would have thought that front padding protection was a good idea. I guess I'll just see how it goes when it arrives.
Perfect!
Anakchan - my son refuses to go in my wife's BMW - sometimes we have to take 2 cars because he wants to go in "daddy's Porsch-ah"
Old 10-22-2013, 03:06 AM
SpawnyWhippet
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I have fitted both the Cybex Aton (better quality) and Graco Snugride 30 (cheaper) rear-facing into the back seat of my 2009 997.2 cab without using the base units.
I removed the rear seat squab to give more room, as it is only velcro'd in place.

The front seats will not go back properly if the base units are used.
I can still get a small adult in the front passenger seat in with either baby seat fitted.
Attached Images    
Old 11-02-2013, 11:56 AM
MuffinMan
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are many people replacing the factory seat belt bolts with eye hooks and installing the seat with the latch belt? It seems like this would be more secure, or at least more rigid, than factory retractable belts. I'm going through the child seat exercise now, but I don't see this mounting method discussed much.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:43 AM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by SpawnyWhippet
I have fitted both the Cybex Aton (better quality) and Graco Snugride 30 (cheaper) rear-facing into the back seat of my 2009 997.2 cab without using the base units.
I removed the rear seat squab to give more room, as it is only velcro'd in place.

The front seats will not go back properly if the base units are used.
I can still get a small adult in the front passenger seat in with either baby seat fitted.
Looks like my setup. I stopped using the base because it does leave less room for the person sitting in front. But fortunately the base isn't necessary and the Cybex is made to accept just the 3-point seatbelt if you prefer. It does take a little more time to set up as you have the route the belts but you have more room when done.

Now the base stays in the SUV because there the convenience is more important than the space.

Originally Posted by MuffinMan
Are many people replacing the factory seat belt bolts with eye hooks and installing the seat with the latch belt? It seems like this would be more secure, or at least more rigid, than factory retractable belts. I'm going through the child seat exercise now, but I don't see this mounting method discussed much.
No I use the factory retractable belt. It's not as easy or probably as sturdy as the latch system on most cars but it does work surprisingly well once you get the hang of it. I prefer to go this route and still have the factory belt instead of customizing a solution myself.

Quick Reply: Time for and updated baby seat model thread? Past threads have outdated names, etc.