Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Time for and updated baby seat model thread? Past threads have outdated names, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 09:04 PM
eagle11401
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anybody have the Porsche "Junior" car seat:

http://www.ecstuning.com/ES1443862/PriceAlert/

My daughter is about to outgrow her rear facing seat in the next few months so it's time to start looking at upgrading the seat.

Thanks!
Old 01-19-2014, 11:03 PM
Jeremy
Rennlist Member

Many thanks to the contributors of this thread. It lead to my purchase of a cybex which worked great in the 996 since June. My little one is about to grow out of the cybex being close to 30". I now find myself searching for a rear-facing convertible seat that will fit in the back seat of a 2001 carrera. I have been through the threads without success and appreciate any suggestions - in short I would like (if possible) a rear facing convertible seat for the rear seat - many thanks -

Jeremy
Old 01-19-2014, 11:06 PM
Mhenry
Advanced

I am in the same boat. I think I am going to just bite the bullet and get a forward facing seat.
Old 01-19-2014, 11:27 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

The rearward facing seats are not worth the trouble imo and better to just keep the baby out of the Porsche the first year or so until you can fit them into a forward facing one.

I had the Porsche rearward facing model before as I couldn't really find anything suitable but after my first kid, I just elected to keep the babies out for a year.
Old 01-20-2014, 04:29 AM
SpawnyWhippet
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I've sold my 997 but bought a 1972 911 coupe. I have a Britax Marathon 70, a Cybex Aton, Graco Snugride 30 and Maxi Cosi that I can try to fit in it tomorrow. I guess the Britax is next size up from the Cybex as it will fit rear-facing up to 35lb ish, then forward facing up to 70 lb.
Old 01-22-2014, 07:12 PM
Mhenry
Advanced

Recaro Prosport installed with just a towel underneath. Fits pretty good. Can't wait to take my kid out for his first ride Saturday.
Attached Images  
Old 02-07-2014, 01:20 PM
Caballo Blanco
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Mhenry
Recaro Prosport installed with just a towel underneath. Fits pretty good. Can't wait to take my kid out for his first ride Saturday.
Hey Mhenry, where did you score the ProSport Recaro seat? Seems to be discontinued just about everywhere, in favor of the new "Performance Sport" version... Which I beat my brains out trying to fit in my 997.1 last night. No worky.
Old 02-07-2014, 02:25 PM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by alpine003
The rearward facing seats are not worth the trouble imo and better to just keep the baby out of the Porsche the first year or so until you can fit them into a forward facing one.

I had the Porsche rearward facing model before as I couldn't really find anything suitable but after my first kid, I just elected to keep the babies out for a year.
Disagree...I've had mine in a rearward facing Cybex since he was 3 months old. And it would have been sooner than that but we had no need to transport him while the wife was on maternity leave.

It fits back there nicely once I removed the bottom seat cushion. If the passenger is tall then it's a challenge but otherwise it's doable. Sure not as comfortable as an SUV but just to take the baby to day care it works fine.
Old 02-07-2014, 03:32 PM
Mhenry
Advanced

I actually got my recaro prosport over a year ago when at a local USA Baby's bankruptcy auction for cheap.
Old 02-07-2014, 04:25 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by fpena944
Disagree...I've had mine in a rearward facing Cybex since he was 3 months old. And it would have been sooner than that but we had no need to transport him while the wife was on maternity leave.

It fits back there nicely once I removed the bottom seat cushion. If the passenger is tall then it's a challenge but otherwise it's doable. Sure not as comfortable as an SUV but just to take the baby to day care it works fine.
I never said anything about fitment but different strokes for different folks. If you only have the 996 as your primary car or don't mind having your passenger sit a bit forward and keep having to recline the seat and contort to fit your baby then it would work.

I myself don't want to deal with that. Sure for the occasional drives with your whole family, I don't see it as a problem. But I'm the kind of guy that doesn't want to use an ax either to drive a nail if you know what I mean.
Old 02-07-2014, 05:07 PM
Caballo Blanco
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Mhenry
I actually got my recaro prosport over a year ago when at a local USA Baby's bankruptcy auction for cheap.
Gaaaah. Thanks for the info. 'Swat I was afraid of. The new Recaro Performance SPORT or whatever it's called just did not fit well enough for me to be comfortable with it, even with the back seat removed.

Every last one of these threads (I think I've read them all now, literally) either recommend discontinued/impossible to get seats or are from dads that managed to get a not so great fit very tight and went on with their lives.

Will keep digging and publish my current 997 work/no work list by brand.

This is gonna require a LOT more alcohol.
Old 02-10-2014, 03:44 PM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by alpine003
I never said anything about fitment but different strokes for different folks. If you only have the 996 as your primary car or don't mind having your passenger sit a bit forward and keep having to recline the seat and contort to fit your baby then it would work.

I myself don't want to deal with that. Sure for the occasional drives with your whole family, I don't see it as a problem. But I'm the kind of guy that doesn't want to use an ax either to drive a nail if you know what I mean.
Agreed it's absolutely not the best method of transporting and infant but since I use mine daily and the sitter is only 5 minutes away it works for me.

On weekends we use the SUV and it's more practical and comfortable for all. But for short trips it works and then I get to use my 996 more often. Otherwise it would sit in my garage as a museum piece if I didn't use it to commute every day.
Old 02-10-2014, 04:06 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have our daughter's seat for sale - looks identical to this one:
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploa...1338047532.jpg

Probably 'used' 6 times, max. The fit in the SC was incredible
Old 03-08-2014, 10:02 PM
CR
Instructor

So are there any updates about new seats? My 4 year old is ready for a booster but as mentioned before, the Recaro seats that used to be perfect are discontinued. Has anyone tried any of the new Recaro seats? Or any other brand? I don't have to get a Recaro either if there is another option.

Thanks!
Old 03-10-2014, 03:19 PM
mjdavis
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

One last trip with the Cybex Aton - ran into a couple other people with kids around the same age. Each of these three vehicles was occupied by two adults and one baby:
Name:  CTBDay2.jpg
Views: 4067
Size:  247.5 KB

Quick Reply: Time for and updated baby seat model thread? Past threads have outdated names, etc.