Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Time for and updated baby seat model thread? Past threads have outdated names, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 10:34 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

LVDell, don't you have both models? Have you tried the Vivo in your 996 before?

Any comments or observations?

Seems like there is some conflicting info.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:35 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Yes, I have both (several of each) Have also tried the Vivo in the pcars. I prefer the Vivo in our daily drivers though. I prefer the ProBooster in the P-cars as it really looks like it was made for the car. Fits like a glove.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:36 PM
RDUBiker
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by alpine003
^^^ Thanks for the feedback. I am a bit puzzled by those glowing reviews for the Probooster by 911 owners on Amazon though.

So I guess that 1-1.5" makes a difference. Were you fitting this without the bottom cushion?
With cushion removed. Perhaps with it in place it would have fit better but honestly I like the snug fit of the Vivo with the bottom cushion removed (so the seat is further from the rear glass and she's more covered by "metal" in case of side impact) so I'm just going with it.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:46 PM
Sharkys
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 997.1 and the Vivo works great with the bottom seat cushion removed. However, my 5 yr old daughter was always twisting her upper body because the Vivo was too narrow for her. Perhaps the ProBooster extra 1.5" will help. I just need to go see if BRU or BBB has one in stock. I've been using the Vivo with the seatback removed, but I read in the Recaro manual that the Vivo shouldn't be used as a backless booster? Many here including me are using the Vivo in this configuration and it seems Recaro did not intend the Vivo to be used this way.
Old 03-09-2013, 07:28 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a 411-13, probably sat in 5x, PM if interested:

Old 03-09-2013, 08:37 PM
Peter 642
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Three quick comments (well, maybe four):

1. LVDell, you rock.
2. That this is a 21-page post on car seats, on a Porsche board, is absolutely fantastic, and that rocks too.
3. My kid said today, "Daddy, can we ride in the Subaru? It doesn't scare me like the Porsche."
4. Remember that the point of a car seat is to keep your child (a) safe; (b) harnessed. Please don't cut corners. If you have another car, and need to make your car seat "fit" into your 911, use your other car, or get a new car seat for the 911. The car seats are only meant to serve as "super-seat belts" for our kids. The seat belt still does the heavy lifting, and essentially the purpose of the car seat is to harness, nothing more, until your child is big enough to use a proper seat belt (previously noted by LVDell). A booster does nothing more (usually) than "prop" your child up so that the seat belt can do its job.

Thanks, and be safe.
Old 03-10-2013, 01:22 PM
mjdavis
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

This thread has become increasingly of interest to me over the past few months. My first baby is on the way in the next couple weeks, so I've spent a lot of time here absorbing the Rennlist knowledge.

I thought I would post my experience, as I recently bought and installed my car seat, and it seems like a pretty good solution. The seat is the Cybex Aton (this has been previously mentioned in the 991 forum). It was a bit tough to find, I don't think it's being widely distributed in the US yet. The seat installs securely using a base, and leaves just enough room in the front seat for a small to medium sized wife.

Pics:
Attached Images   
Old 03-10-2013, 10:20 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ahhh Finally! Did you have to remove the bottom seat cushion?

Originally Posted by mjdavis
This thread has become increasingly of interest to me over the past few months. My first baby is on the way in the next couple weeks, so I've spent a lot of time here absorbing the Rennlist knowledge.

I thought I would post my experience, as I recently bought and installed my car seat, and it seems like a pretty good solution. The seat is the Cybex Aton (this has been previously mentioned in the 991 forum). It was a bit tough to find, I don't think it's being widely distributed in the US yet. The seat installs securely using a base, and leaves just enough room in the front seat for a small to medium sized wife.

Pics:
Old 03-11-2013, 10:21 AM
mjdavis
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by washington dc porsche
Ahhh Finally! Did you have to remove the bottom seat cushion?
No, I tried both ways, but I actually think it works better with the seat cushion.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:00 PM
Sharkys
Advanced

My recaro Vivo booster served my daughter very well up until she was 5 yets old. The upper section is narrow and so I tried our Britax Parkway. The cup holders prevented the seat from sitting down into the bottom of the seat area. I'm sure if I removed the cup holders the bottom of the parkway would contact the seat area on the perimeter. Not secure, but as secure as the Vivo. But since my daughters head almost clears the top of the back rest, I decided to buy the Porsche Jr Booster. The bottom of the Porsche booster extends into the bottom of the seat well and is flush. I'll take a picture of the Britax parkway, the Recaro Vivo and the Porsche jr booster for all too see. If read hundreds of threads and have not come across seat picture comparisons. Note, that of the Vivo was a bit wider in the shoulder area, I would have stayed with the Vivo - even though it doesn't fit exactly right. I used the Vivo with back seat and bottom cushion removed the past two years and it served my daughter well. I intend to use the Porsche jr seat in the same way.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:05 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Sharkys
My recaro Vivo booster served my daughter very well up until she was 5 yets old. The upper section is narrow and so I tried our Britax Parkway. The cup holders prevented the seat from sitting down into the bottom of the seat area. I'm sure if I removed the cup holders the bottom of the parkway would contact the seat area on the perimeter. Not secure, but as secure as the Vivo. But since my daughters head almost clears the top of the back rest, I decided to buy the Porsche Jr Booster. The bottom of the Porsche booster extends into the bottom of the seat well and is flush. I'll take a picture of the Britax parkway, the Recaro Vivo and the Porsche jr booster for all too see. If read hundreds of threads and have not come across seat picture comparisons. Note, that of the Vivo was a bit wider in the shoulder area, I would have stayed with the Vivo - even though it doesn't fit exactly right. I used the Vivo with back seat and bottom cushion removed the past two years and it served my daughter well. I intend to use the Porsche jr seat in the same way.
That must be one HUGE kid! The Vivo is designed for kids up to 100lbs and 12 years old. My 5 year old boy is above average on all measurements and fits just fine. Confused.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:13 PM
Sharkys
Advanced

By law (in Caifornia), if the back seat does not allow the proper installation of a booster and the car cannot be modified (using standard factory parts) to properly support a booster then the child can legally ride in the front seat using a booster - as long as the child is 5 yrs and 45 lbs. Makes the case for a GT3 much stronger
Old 03-13-2013, 07:13 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Sharkys
By law (in Caifornia), if the back seat does not allow the proper installation of a booster and the car cannot be modified (using standard factory parts) to properly support a booster then the child can legally ride in the front seat using a booster - as long as the child is 5 yrs and 45 lbs. Makes the case for a GT3 much stronger
Old 03-13-2013, 07:22 PM
Sharkys
Advanced

Originally Posted by LVDell
That must be one HUGE kid! The Vivo is designed for kids up to 100lbs and 12 years old. My 5 year old boy is above average on all measurements and fits just fine. Confused.
Shoulder width is the issue - swimmer shoulders. Also, the Harmony Cruz bottom booster sits more forward than the Vivo (when using the Vivo bottom seat only). So forward leg space is reduced a good 3 - 4" on the Harmony. The Harmony seat cushion is a tad thicker as well.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:23 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Ah, Harmony. I thought you were referring to the Vivo. My bad.

Quick Reply: Time for and updated baby seat model thread? Past threads have outdated names, etc.