Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Time for and updated baby seat model thread? Past threads have outdated names, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2019 | 12:11 PM
mbgt72
Intermediate

So, here's an old thread bump, but it seems like the best place to continue the conversation.

Looking into options for a 996 and a kid in the 2.5yr old & 35+lb range with room to grow.

My main question is, it seems that most are going with a back seat option and not using the Porsche seatbelt deactivation bar. I was just curious as to why so few were using the factory option and if the factory option was still feasible. It seems the bar can be found on eBay for $100, and then I know it has to be programmed by a dealer (which they may or may not do). But if that option works, that route would be my preference vs the back seat route.

Either way, it seems like the car seat manufactures keep rebranding and changing their names so some of the great options earlier in this thread are no longer available. Trying to figure out which seat will work best in either the front or rear of the 996.

Secondary question, my mother has a 2009 Cayman, is it possible to find a seat that would work in both my 996 as well as her Cayman?

Thanks for the help!
Old 05-28-2019 | 03:19 PM
professorman
Racer

Originally Posted by mbgt72
So, here's an old thread bump, but it seems like the best place to continue the conversation.

Looking into options for a 996 and a kid in the 2.5yr old & 35+lb range with room to grow.

My main question is, it seems that most are going with a back seat option and not using the Porsche seatbelt deactivation bar. I was just curious as to why so few were using the factory option and if the factory option was still feasible. It seems the bar can be found on eBay for $100, and then I know it has to be programmed by a dealer (which they may or may not do). But if that option works, that route would be my preference vs the back seat route.

Either way, it seems like the car seat manufactures keep rebranding and changing their names so some of the great options earlier in this thread are no longer available. Trying to figure out which seat will work best in either the front or rear of the 996.

Secondary question, my mother has a 2009 Cayman, is it possible to find a seat that would work in both my 996 as well as her Cayman?

Thanks for the help!
Although the front seat is ‘okay’ the back is still safer. I bought the airbag deactivator, but my wife would not allow me to use it in my Boxster. I drive my 911 about 3-5 days per week with my son in the backseat. He is almost 4, and about 40 lbs. it fits perfectly. He stays back there, so if I am taking out my family, I don’t have to move his seat. This seat stays in the 911. I modded it, so it won’t fit other cars now. I don’t see him having a problem with this seat until he grows to a booster seat, and then that will be an easier fit.
Old 07-06-2019 | 03:54 PM
tniyh98
3rd Gear

My $0.02.

Pulled the trigger on a 2003 C2 - and needed to get the kids into it.

Have a large 4 year old and a large 2 year old. Both could, technically, go into high backed boosters - but there's no way my wife would allow that.

Settled on Cosco Finale DX for both of them. Have it in with both the seat belt and the latch system.

Used the seat bottoms as a template to cut some foam flooring to use as pads underneath the child seat so as not to damage the actual leather seat.

Tried with both the seat back/bottom in and out.
  • Out gave me more room (I'm 6'3), but had an unacceptable amount of movement
  • In was the opposite. However, I can live with a little less legroom for the 15 mins or so I have them in the car. I've just used the two seat settings - 1 is with kids, 2 is solo.

TLDR - Cosco Finale DX works great!
Old 07-06-2019 | 04:06 PM
Gingerman
Instructor

Default Nice to see this updated. I have a 2.75 year old and another due in November.

Originally Posted by tniyh98
My $0.02.

Pulled the trigger on a 2003 C2 - and needed to get the kids into it.

Have a large 4 year old and a large 2 year old. Both could, technically, go into high backed boosters - but there's no way my wife would allow that.

Settled on Cosco Finale DX for both of them. Have it in with both the seat belt and the latch system.

Used the seat bottoms as a template to cut some foam flooring to use as pads underneath the child seat so as not to damage the actual leather seat.

Tried with both the seat back/bottom in and out.
  • Out gave me more room (I'm 6'3), but had an unacceptable amount of movement
  • In was the opposite. However, I can live with a little less legroom for the 15 mins or so I have them in the car. I've just used the two seat settings - 1 is with kids, 2 is solo.

TLDR - Cosco Finale DX works great!
i am mostly curious how people have managed the rear facing seat. Can a front passenger sit comfortably with a rear facing car seat behind her?
Old 07-06-2019 | 04:09 PM
tniyh98
3rd Gear

Not sure - I'd imagine it's possible, but you're going to have seriously reduced room in the front pax side.

My wife is 5'2, and with our 4 yr old behind her, it's already pretty cramped.
Old 07-06-2019 | 04:51 PM
Gingerman
Instructor

Originally Posted by tniyh98
Not sure - I'd imagine it's possible, but you're going to have seriously reduced room in the front pax side.

My wife is 5'2, and with our 4 yr old behind her, it's already pretty cramped.
Thanks. It won’t be necessary but one of those things that I would love to figure out. One thing I have seen in these threats is removing the rear seat back. I removed the bottom for my front facing seat but removing the back seems to buy an inch or so as well.
Old 08-13-2019 | 02:38 AM
drmoth
3rd Gear

First post, so I thought I would make it a good one.

Having spent countless hours researching which child car seats will fit in the back of a 996 (like many others have done), and finding limited options (and those that did fit seem pretty cheap), I decided to perform an experiment. We have a couple of Graco convertible seats that I really like, but the base is so wide that they definitely won't fit. So I decided to remove the base (it doesn’t do anything anyway). For this task I used the Graco Sequence 65 Convertible Car Seat (and I don't see why this wouldn't work with other Graco seats that have the same base).

Initially I tried to remove it in a way that would allow me to put it back on, but quickly determined that was not possible. What I ended up doing was using a razor knife (retractable construction type) to cut off the four tabs that slide inside the small track on each side. It was amazingly easy; taking only a few seconds. With the base off, the seat is much narrower. I started the install by removing the rear seats, and folding a towel in half, and then in thirds (I tried multiple folding techniques, including two towels, but found this to work best for my application). Next I attached the rear anchor under the carpet on the back deck, leaving it very loose (yes, I did this first). Then I fed the seat belt through the front hole (the one used for rear facing, as the other hole is too far back to work correctly). Next (and this is the trick to this install) I tilted the car seat forward as if I was trying to dump my son out of it, slid it back as far as I could, compressed the towel, and tightened the lap part of the seat belt. Once I got the lap part of the seat belt as tight as I could, I tugged on the shoulder part until it locked in place with the least amount of slack I could manage. Then holding the seat belt taught, I pushed the top of the car seat back. This puts extra pressure on the seat belt as it moves forward slightly, and holds the front of the car seat tight to the floor. With one had holding the seat back, I pulled the rear tether strap tight. This locks the entire thing into place, creating a car seat install that feels more solid than the drivers seat. It took me a few attempts to get it right, but the entire process didn’t take me more than an hour.

Rear anchor strap in place.

Seat tilted forward, and slid back as far as it will go. Notice the seat belt is through the front hole in the car seat.

Seat belt tightened, and top pressed back with rear tether tight.

Plenty of room for both cup holders.

Photo for location reference (yes, those are Cheez-It crumbs on the floor).

Pretty good leg room.

Gratuitous car photo.
The following users liked this post:
sasilverbullet (09-07-2021)
Old 08-13-2019 | 01:52 PM
XZG
Track Day

I am happy with cybex solution x-fix front facing carseats, with the 996 rear seat cushions and rear seat bases removed for headroom and legroom.

Old 08-13-2019 | 04:37 PM
jllphan
Rennlist Member

New rule: Anyone with a baby seat in their pcar must also have one of these...

Mike Murphy (08-13-2019)
Old 08-13-2019 | 04:57 PM
drmoth
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by XZG
I am happy with cybex solution x-fix front facing carseats, with the 996 rear seat cushions and rear seat bases removed for headroom and legroom.
Those look like they fit well. My little one isn't big enough for those yet, but once he is, they are on my list.
Old 08-13-2019 | 08:53 PM
Pro

Removed seat back (upper), seat belt receptacle, and child seat cupholder. With bolt from removed receptacle mounted adjustable length seat belt extender from Amazon, folded towel on seat bottom and speaker, and pushed standard USA Graco brand child seat into place. Removing stock seat belt receptacle increases width to allow seat to fit, and adjustable seat belt extender raises buckle point a few inches so child can easily attach it themselves. Crossed flags patch makes it a racing seat.

Our 5-year-old daughter can unlatch front seat, and get into child seat and buckle/unbuckle it herself. 3-year-old grandson needs help and this can be accomplished from front seat. Wife is about 5'2" and she has lots of legroom. Seat is only secured with inertial seat belt, and a small tug locks it up so I expect in an accident child will remain securely in place. Removed coat hook in case child's face contacts seat back.

Mike Murphy (08-13-2019)
Old 09-06-2021 | 08:32 PM
JoeZV8
Intermediate

Default Booster update

Maxi-Cosi RodiFix Booster Car Seat

Fits easily in rear of 2003 996 C2 as we transition from Evenflo 5pt

7yo
47" tall
47lbs

Old 09-06-2021 | 08:41 PM
JoeZV8
Intermediate

Old seat was Evenflo Maestro 5pt

Also served as a great seat, and has good size cup holders

Old 04-25-2023 | 02:01 PM
2mAn
Rennlist Member

Bumping this as I need to figure this out with the 2023 options. I had a few saved based on this thread and others.

-Looks like the Britax Roundabout was the hot ticket, but they are discontinued.

-The MaxiCosi RodiMax looks great, but my kiddo looks a little small for this one.

-Evenflo Maestro looks like another good option
https://www.evenflo.com/products/mae...t-booster-seat

-I had Diono saved, but no model so not sure what Im looking for here. I searched their page and this one looks like a good fit for a 996, or 911 in general
https://store.diono.com/everett-nxt/

@JoeZV8 Can you share a 2 year update on your experience?

edit: Also wanted to ask about the rear top tether, can anyone confirm if a 99 has one? I will have the interior seating all removed soon, but want to know exactly what Im getting myself into. Looks like they are confirmed for 02+ but not sure about the 996.1 models

Last edited by 2mAn; 04-25-2023 at 02:03 PM.
Old 04-25-2023 | 02:32 PM
JoeZV8
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 2mAn
Bumping this as I need to figure this out with the 2023 options. I had a few saved based on this thread and others.

@JoeZV8 Can you share a 2 year update on your experience?
Yes, still using Maxi-Cosi RodiFix Booster Car Seat, likely last year he'll need it.
2mAn (04-25-2023)

Quick Reply: Time for and updated baby seat model thread? Past threads have outdated names, etc.