Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Time for and updated baby seat model thread? Past threads have outdated names, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 08:35 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Not to worry, it just keeps getting better............
Old 07-29-2011, 08:49 PM
Speedyellow993
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Seat

I hear that for the seatbelt rotation method to work both the top and bottom of the rear seats must remain in. Not sure if I would be comfortable removing the factory seats.

Originally Posted by LVDell
Did you see post #127? By the way, it's the same in the Carrera line as well.

As far as the seat belt receiver, I tried that (rotating) but the way it goes together with the chassis of the car it can only go one way and when I rotated it I did not feel safe with the attachment. Unlike the fronts which can rotate at the bolt, the rears have a channel/groove that they secure in.
Old 07-29-2011, 08:53 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Why would you know be comfy removing the seats?
Old 07-29-2011, 09:00 PM
Speedyellow993
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Canadian insurance companies are very sticky about any changes to a car that is not recognized by the manufacture.

I Googled the "mighty tight" seatbelt winch and found quite a few issues with it and how it's dangerous to use due to it damaging the seatbelt materials and the lock being unreliable.

This sucks!!! It's a simple problem with an impossible solution.

Thanks for everyones input :-)

Originally Posted by LVDell
Why would you know be comfy removing the seats?
Old 07-29-2011, 09:02 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

I'm pretty sure the seats are held on by velcro for a reason......situations just like this.
Old 08-04-2011, 12:24 AM
Speedyellow993
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Talking Great News!!!

I have some great news for the 996 owners today!

I had a little time to Kill today so dropped by a few Kid Specialty Stores. Tried a whole bunch of seats in the back of my 996 Turbo. I currently have a Britax Diplomat( discontinued ) that works well bit not perfect. 8/10

Sunshine Kids Montery- no way in hell it'll fit. 0/10

Britax Parkway- gets in there but a really sloppy fit, base is too wide and the lower base hovers over the bottom seat cushion. 6/10

Next store........

I instantly spot a very skinny looking Combi Kobuk booster with a full back. I've heard of just the Combi Kobuk Base Only fitting but I wanted a seat to keep the upper seatbelt in a proper position which is not across the neck. The sales lady at the store knows me well and says " help yourself to fit any seat "...... I grabbed the seat and ran out to the car. Threw it in the back and.....Bingo!!! We gave a winner!!!!!! I'm was almost in tears.... a few of the local RL guys know that I have spent countless hours/days trying to find a seat that fits well. This is it!

http://products.howstuffworks.com/co...eat-review.htm

http://www.insurance-canada.ca/consi...-seats-810.php

http://www.iihs.org/research/topics/...good_bets.aspx

It's a current production 2011 booster seat that sits 40-100 lbs.

Fit is a 9.5/10

It did well in the crash test

It fits the back of my 996 TT with absolutely no Modifications.

Pictures are to follow.....

Last edited by Speedyellow993; 08-04-2011 at 04:32 PM. Reason: add info
Old 08-04-2011, 01:20 AM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Speedyellow993

I had a little time to Kill today so dropped by a few Kid Specialty Stores. Tried a whole bunch of seats in the back of my 996 Turbo. I currently have a Britax Diplomat( discontinued ) that works well bit not perfect. 8/10

Britax Parkway- gets in there but a really sloppy fit, base is too wide and the lower base hovers over the bottom seat cushion. 6/10

Next store........

I instantly spot a very skinny looking Combi Kobuck booster with a full back. I've heard of just the Combi Kobuck Base Only fitting but I wanted a seat to keep the upper seatbelt in a proper position which is not across the neck. The sales lady at the store knows me well and says " help yourself to fit any seat "...... I grabbed the seat and ran out to the car. Threw it in the back and.....Bingo!!! We gave a winner!!!!!! I'm was almost in tears.... a few of the local RL guys know that I have spent countless hours/days trying to find a seat that fits well. This is it!

Fit is a 9.5/10

Do you think it will fit in a 993?
Old 08-04-2011, 08:05 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Next store........

I instantly spot a very skinny looking Combi Kobuck booster with a full back. I've heard of just the Combi Kobuck Base Only fitting but I wanted a seat to keep the upper seatbelt in a proper position which is not across the neck. The sales lady at the store knows me well and says " help yourself to fit any seat "...... I grabbed the seat and ran out to the car. Threw it in the back and.....Bingo!!! We gave a winner!!!!!! I'm was almost in tears.... a few of the local RL guys know that I have spent countless hours/days trying to find a seat that fits well. This is it!

Fit is a 9.5/10

Nice find and another great contribution to the thread! Looking forward to the pics
Old 08-04-2011, 04:00 PM
Speedyellow993
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I'll try to test fit it in a 951,997C4S,993 and 993 TT before I post the pictures.
Old 08-04-2011, 04:02 PM
Speedyellow993
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Default booster

Originally Posted by JM993
Do you think it will fit in a 993?
I am thinking yes...but let me try it first. I'll get my buddy to come over with his 993....

Al
Old 08-04-2011, 04:29 PM
Targatoo
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You're like a mentor to me

Thanks. My little guy isn't 33lbs yet. I might get one just to have on hand, though.
Old 08-05-2011, 03:35 AM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am thinking yes...but let me try it first. I'll get my buddy to come over with his 993....

Al
Thanks Al.
Old 08-05-2011, 11:56 AM
alpine003
Banned

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Targatoo
My little guy isn't 33lbs yet. I might get one just to have on hand, though.
I'm in the same boat and thinking also to get one. You never know when they'll discontinue a particular model and you'll eventually need it anyway so...
Old 01-27-2012, 10:59 PM
JTB1
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A big thank you to Speedyellow993. I have tried many different car seats and even different mounting methods. A seat that just fits is, however, the best solution. After tons of research and 2 entirely frustrating trips to Babies R Us I gave up, took a gamble, and ordered the Combi Kobuk from Amazon. I was pleasantly surprised to find it fit well in my 996tt.

Thanks again,
Old 01-28-2012, 12:49 AM
Speedyellow993
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JTB1
A big thank you to Speedyellow993. I have tried many different car seats and even different mounting methods. A seat that just fits is, however, the best solution. After tons of research and 2 entirely frustrating trips to Babies R Us I gave up, took a gamble, and ordered the Combi Kobuk from Amazon. I was pleasantly surprised to find it fit well in my 996tt.

Thanks again,
I'm glad it worked out.

I have spent days on fitting seats and have almost tried every seat on the Canadian Market. Even the Regional BRITAX car seat rep knows me. I spent an hour busting his ***** about why his seats don't fit porsches.

Not enough demand to justify the cost. I knew that but it was worth a try.

I currently own 8 child infant seats spread between 4 cars. Its kind of a fetish for me.

PS. Sunshine Kids is now "Diono"

Quick Reply: Time for and updated baby seat model thread? Past threads have outdated names, etc.