Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Time for and updated baby seat model thread? Past threads have outdated names, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 04:37 AM
W211
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Walmart Harmony Youth Booster Seat

Originally Posted by Musclehedz101
I have had the same Harmony booster seats for a less than a year and had the same frustration with the challenges with the spacing between the armrests and buckle. After reading your post I went out to the garage and used my heat gun to perform the same mod.

It worked out perfectly! I used a bungee to pull the arm rests in while I used the heat gun to soften the plastic. Here are some pics and many thanks.
Thanks so much for all the most useful information.

I picked up the seats from Walmart too.

http://www.walmart.ca/Baby/Car-Seats...er-Seat/723530

http://www.harmonyjuvenile.com/produ...ess/503785.php

I think it's quite important to carry out the hairdryer mod (I didn't even use the heat gun or bungee cord) to push the armrests a little inward as it fits far better.

End result is perfect.
Attached Images     
Old 06-13-2011, 08:33 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Looks great, thanks for adding more to this thread!
Old 06-13-2011, 08:55 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,228 Likes on 600 Posts

you guys are blessed with some cute kids!
Old 06-21-2011, 01:06 AM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

Here we go again...

Needing the latest recommendation on rear-facing/convertible infant seats for my '99 C4 coupe. The last recommendation I see is the Britax Boulevard or the Graco Snugride. Anyone know if they've changed anything or if there are better options available?

Mom is pretty short (about 5'-4")...is there any chance she'll still fit in front with a rear-facing seat behind her?
Old 06-21-2011, 08:24 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Any rear facing seat (even the smallest) will create a tight fit for the passenger. It is much easier with somebody that is vertically challenged. The one that I have found to give the most space is the Graco Snugride. If you have a boy (or even a girl) that grow quickly the seat will be outgrown before they get to 1 year and are legally able to right forward facing.

I still have my snugride if you want it we can work out a fire sale price.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:23 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by tooloud10
Here we go again...

Needing the latest recommendation on rear-facing/convertible infant seats for my '99 C4 coupe. The last recommendation I see is the Britax Boulevard or the Graco Snugride. Anyone know if they've changed anything or if there are better options available?

Mom is pretty short (about 5'-4")...is there any chance she'll still fit in front with a rear-facing seat behind her?
My wife is the same height and although a bit snug, it is definitely still manageable for her. We have the Porsche Britax rearward facing.

Old 06-21-2011, 10:34 PM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
Any rear facing seat (even the smallest) will create a tight fit for the passenger. It is much easier with somebody that is vertically challenged. The one that I have found to give the most space is the Graco Snugride. If you have a boy (or even a girl) that grow quickly the seat will be outgrown before they get to 1 year and are legally able to right forward facing.
Great--thanks for the info.

I still have my snugride if you want it we can work out a fire sale price.
Sure, I'd probably be interested--ZIP is 52003 if that helps to figure a price. What color is it? Let me know...thanks!
Old 07-17-2011, 10:32 PM
Andover Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 11 Posts
Default recaro probooster

Hi all

Great thread - appreciate the info.

Quick question for anyone who has the Recaro Probooster. Is the back removable? I think I looked at it in a store a while ago and the back did not come off. But that was a while ago so memory could be wrong.
Old 07-17-2011, 10:37 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

It's not removable
Old 07-18-2011, 04:12 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a Britax forward facing seat for little ones FS...
Old 07-28-2011, 04:39 PM
jwbmo
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Child Seat Install 7-20-11

Thank you very much for all the information on this forum!
I am a new Porsche owner as of two weeks ago. A 99' 996 Coupe, black on black.
A condition to purchase was child seats fitting (a family car!). I have read forums, reviews and opinions, but many had outdated or incomplete information. This last thread finally gave me the info required to satisfy the better half.

I thought I would share my information in case it might help someone.

I purchased two Recaro Vivo's from WalMart.com -- around $80 each. I removed the seat bottoms and backs along with the back support studs on each side. They had to come off for a proper fit. My son just turned 3 and meets the minimum height weight for the booster along with my 5 yr old daughter. The boosters are certainly easier to fit. As you can see in the pictures, they fit very nicely. I put my daughter behind me as her legs are long enough to hang vertically, but my sons legs still must project forward a bit. I am 6'4" and 290 lbs. I normally drive with the seat an inch or so forward of full aft. With my daughter behind me, I must move up several more inches. It is still a very driveable position, but I would not want to take a long trip! My wife must move her seat up more for my sons legs. She is 5'7" and ??? (let's just say she is not thin anymore). She would not be able to drive in that position, but seems comfortable as a passenger. I had looked at a Cabrolet, but found the drivers seat full aft position not comfortable for me at all. In fact, in retrospect, the Cab seat geometry had less leg room full aft than the position I use now with my daughter behind me in the Coupe! The only downside I have found with this install, is not a car issue, but a booster seat issue. I am going to find some seat belt clips to hold the shoulder straps in position to prevent the children from leaning forward or sideways. Holding them back much like the full harness car seats. By removing the seat backs, I feel I was able to keep the Recaro's reclined better. I was able to set the Recaro seat backs to the farthest reclining position of the three available. The Recaro's allow enough side room to easily reach in and buckle both children from either side.

Thanks again! What a great site.
Attached Images      
Old 07-28-2011, 06:30 PM
alpine003
Banned

Originally Posted by jwbmo
I am going to find some seat belt clips to hold the shoulder straps in position to prevent the children from leaning forward or sideways.
Cute kids and Recaro bragging rights. As for forward stability, your seat should've come with rear restraint strap. If you look at your rear deck carpeting closely, you'll see that Porsche provides rear anchors that can be accessed by cutting a part of the carpet(just a couple slits) right behind the seats on the rear "deck" portion. There's already an marks in the carpet where this area is. As for side stability, maybe something like this? http://www.cg-lock.com/
Old 07-28-2011, 08:30 PM
jordanturbo
Cardigan Millionaire
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice seats, I picked picked up a handful if Britax seats, got a couple chaparones for rear facing, few advocates for front facing, haven't looked at boosters yet but that i still a few years away. It is a tight fit in the back, but is manageable. My GF is 5'6" -5'7" and can fit somewhat comfortably up front.

On a side note I really wish we could get recarro's in Canada. I looked at bringing one back from the states, but I guess you can get in a lot of trouble here for not using an approved child seat.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:50 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by alpine003
Cute kids and Recaro bragging rights. As for forward stability, your seat should've come with rear restraint strap. If you look at your rear deck carpeting closely, you'll see that Porsche provides rear anchors that can be accessed by cutting a part of the carpet(just a couple slits) right behind the seats on the rear "deck" portion. There's already an marks in the carpet where this area is. As for side stability, maybe something like this? http://www.cg-lock.com/
Those anchors points are for forward facing baby seats NOT booster seats.
Old 07-29-2011, 12:56 AM
alpine003
Banned

Originally Posted by LVDell
Those anchors points are for forward facing baby seats NOT booster seats.
Ah gotcha. I'm not at the booster level yet so what do I know.

Quick Reply: Time for and updated baby seat model thread? Past threads have outdated names, etc.