Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Time for and updated baby seat model thread? Past threads have outdated names, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 08:44 PM
Dr Mitch
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just bought a Clek Ozzi booster seat for my dads '03 C4S - I will have to remove the latch system on the seat, but it otherwise looks to be a perfect fit. If it fits, will post pics. Cost $70 at CanTire...
Old 05-09-2010, 02:42 PM
ryangambrill
Pro

Originally Posted by jrofman
I just tried two of the cosco seats and found one that fits. There is a very inexpensive toddler seat. Its the cosco High-back booster seat, at target under $50. It has a 5 point harness and fits snug. using the OEM seat belt to attach the car seat keeps it a bit loose side to side, but is still secure. I just took my baby girl for a ride and she loved the car.
I have the same problem with my sons seat. There is some movement in the seat from side to side. The seats in the 911 are stiff and the cushion does not compress. This seems to make it very difficult to install the seat in such a way that removes all movement. In my other vehicles, I install the seat, then put pressure on the child seat and compress the actual cushion of the rear seat. As this is done, I tighten up the straps/belts and the child seat becomes very snug.

I cannot seem to find a way to accomplish this with the child seat setup in the 911.

How do the rest of you install the child seat? I feel like I am missing something.
Old 05-09-2010, 02:48 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

I think the most important thing about the child seat is the strap the goes to the back towards the engine.... make sure this is taught... with the car seat belt going through behind the child seat, it will be very secure.
Old 05-09-2010, 03:53 PM
ryangambrill
Pro

Originally Posted by redridge
I think the most important thing about the child seat is the strap the goes to the back towards the engine.... make sure this is taught... with the car seat belt going through behind the child seat, it will be very secure.
Where is the rear anchor point located?
Old 05-09-2010, 04:11 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

rear anchor is under the carpet..... on the mk1, the carpet has a cutout for it... not sure about the mk2, but the anchor point should be under the carpet.... right over the engine roofing.
Old 05-09-2010, 06:40 PM
ryangambrill
Pro

Originally Posted by redridge
rear anchor is under the carpet..... on the mk1, the carpet has a cutout for it... not sure about the mk2, but the anchor point should be under the carpet.... right over the engine roofing.
I have the BOSE and it seems to be blocking the anchors. There is a piece of carpet that can be pulled up, but seems to be stuck.
Old 05-09-2010, 06:43 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

My Turbo has bose and it does NOT block the tether anchor. It is right at the crease where the subwoofer meets the back dash. I can tell you that cutting the carpet has to be done and it goes DEEP to get to the anchor since there is plenty of insulation. Amazing that you have to do this but then again Porsche doesn't build the interior the way they build a motor, gearbox, or suspension!
Attached Images    
Old 05-09-2010, 10:21 PM
ryangambrill
Pro

Dell -

Thank you very much. This helps a ton. I will be sure to get this taken care of tomorrow night.
Old 06-12-2010, 05:46 PM
yasuro
Pro

well, found a backless booster seat that fits nearly perfectly in the rear. it's the harmony literider. it's only for kids 30-100 lbs and it does not require LATCH.

found it at walmart for about $13. simple and solves the problem of the older child getting the seat belt and shoulder belt in the right position.

i found it fits without having to remove any part of the rear seats.
Old 06-13-2010, 11:35 AM
gvcap10
Racer

The Harmony literider fit perfect a coupe? I have an 03 coupe and can't find any seats that fit! Thanks for the info.
Old 06-13-2010, 11:12 PM
yasuro
Pro

Originally Posted by gvcap10
The Harmony literider fit perfect a coupe? I have an 03 coupe and can't find any seats that fit! Thanks for the info.
Yep. Fit just fine in my 01 C4 coupe.
Old 06-15-2010, 08:54 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by yasuro
well, found a backless booster seat that fits nearly perfectly in the rear. it's the harmony literider. it's only for kids 30-100 lbs and it does not require LATCH.

found it at walmart for about $13. simple and solves the problem of the older child getting the seat belt and shoulder belt in the right position.

Pics or ban!
Old 06-20-2010, 12:04 AM
frisbee91
Three Wheelin'

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts
Thumbs up Harmony Literider good child booster for 996 Cab

Originally Posted by yasuro

+1 for the Harmony Literider booster. (thanks for the tip!!) $13.50 at Walmart.
Fits well in my 996 cab. A bonus is that it has a flat bottom, so it doesn't dent the seats the way the old Cosco booster I used to have did. :thumbsdown:
One minor issue with the Harmony is that the armrest interferes with easy access to the buckle mechanism, but it still works. See pics.
Attached Images      
Old 06-21-2010, 01:03 AM
Speedyellow993
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't know if anyone here has posted this but have heard that someone has found a way to secure the Britax Seats into a 996TT.

A bigger problem then fitment of the Child Seat was the position of the rear seatbelt receptacal. It was too far forward with no way to secure the Child seat tight enough in a forward facing position. The three point seatbelt would feed throught the child seat and not allow for the seatbelt to hold the Child seat in place because the receptacal was ahead of the hold down point. Neither rear seat cusion or seatback were removed. Both were used.

Solution: re-position the rear seat belt receptacal. From the Factory the receptical sits at a 45 deg angle facing forward.

The Fix: 1 or of 10 on the DIY difficulty level. A 5 min. fix

1) Pull the plastic cover off the rear seat belt receptacal.

2) Remove the Receptacal Nut

3) Reposition the seat belt receptacal to a almost 90 deg position

4) Re tighten the nut to factory torque spec. ( don't ask me what it is )

5) The plastic cover will not go back on.

6) Try the seat again.

7) Don't forget to pull the rear seatbelt all the way out to activate the locking system in the belt before you start tensioning the seatbelt.

8) Get your body weight on top of the Child Seat to help secure it down.

9) Don't forget the Teather strap ( third belt that goes over the back of the seat to a mounting point )

10) The seat I heard about had "ZERO Movement"

11) Read your Child Seat installation manual.

Disclaimer: I am not a Child Seat installation professional nor do I imply that I am. I have no formal child seat installation training. I do not recommend anyone do this as you are changing the Porsche factory safety equipment which could be and most likely illegal. This is just something that I heard about someone doing in a 996 TT just like the one that I have.

Cheers !

Last edited by Speedyellow993; 06-21-2010 at 01:04 AM. Reason: typo
Old 06-21-2010, 08:17 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Speedyellow993
I don't know if anyone here has posted this but have heard that someone has found a way to secure the Britax Seats into a 996TT.
Did you see post #127? By the way, it's the same in the Carrera line as well.

As far as the seat belt receiver, I tried that (rotating) but the way it goes together with the chassis of the car it can only go one way and when I rotated it I did not feel safe with the attachment. Unlike the fronts which can rotate at the bolt, the rears have a channel/groove that they secure in.

Quick Reply: Time for and updated baby seat model thread? Past threads have outdated names, etc.