Sponsored by:

Cary/Apex Coffee and Bagels

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 10:25 PM
rotokim
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default New Year's Day Drive & Lunch

It was great to start 2009 with everyone who participated this morning. Here's the list:

Dell (Arena Red 996 Cab)
Bruce and Margaret (Red Cayman S)
Michael ('88 911 Coupe)
Rich (911 Targa)
Alex (996 Coupe with 19" wheels)
Charles (996 Coupe)
Ken (Silver Cayman S)
George (Black 996 Cab)
Helmut and Constantin (Yellow Cayman S)
Bob (996 Aero)

We had perfect weather and a beautiful drive in the country, followed by big burgers at Red Robin in Apex. Helmut's family joined us there.

In my mind, it was the perfect start for the year - thanks, Michael, for suggesting we do this. It should be a tradition!

Sorry for some of the blurry pictures - I'm not good at driving and taking pictures at the same time.

Bob
Attached Images        
Old 01-01-2009, 10:27 PM
rotokim
Burning Brakes

FYI - I was in the middle of the pack. So, I was unable to capture Bruce/Margaret, Ken, George and Michael behind me. We had a great size for our group.

Bob
Old 01-01-2009, 10:59 PM
hets72
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 11 Posts

Happy New Year again!!
Was a good to see everyone and a great drive... j
Just did some quick cutting of the video... see below (best part is the steam reflection on the caymans backside...).... watch in high quality for better viewing!

http://www.youtube.com/user/hets72

PS: Dale, below link/picture from the Porsche iphone theme... (have not yet figured it out....)
http://www.caymanclub.net/general-of...one-theme.html

Name:  img0003jv6.png
Views: 199
Size:  77.7 KB
Old 01-01-2009, 11:04 PM
RoadWarrior19
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

That was a fun start to the new year. In addition to Bob's nice pictures, here are a few more:

The rest of the bunch can be seen here:

http://s130.photobucket.com/albums/p...Run2008-01-01/

Michael
Old 01-02-2009, 08:38 AM
rotokim
Burning Brakes

Great photos, Michael. And great video, Helmut. Happy New Year, everyone! See you on Saturday at the Wake Zone.

Reminder - it's the 1st Saturday of the month, and some of the group would like to head over to Brier Creek - might be everyone.

Bob
Old 01-02-2009, 09:11 AM
rmurph
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Helmut - Great run!! & video. Bob & Micheal - Great pictures!! I'll bet that guy in the troopers car was saying "look at those guys, and you pulled me over". Saturday is suppose to be good weather as well, see you at the Wake Zone in the am.
Happy New Year all!! Great way to start 2009.

Track time is coming, TarHeel Sports Car Club I believe is the first event of the season at VIR, running full course. I believe it is the 7th and 8th of Feb. Good group, ran with them last year. Usually a few Porsches. Hopefully not as cold as our last event.

See everyone tomorrow morning.
Old 01-02-2009, 12:44 PM
cdaniels
Racer

Rich,
Where can I learn the details of the Tarheel Sports Car Club VIR event?

Thanks,

Charles

Originally Posted by rmurph
Helmut - Great run!! & video. Bob & Micheal - Great pictures!! I'll bet that guy in the troopers car was saying "look at those guys, and you pulled me over". Saturday is suppose to be good weather as well, see you at the Wake Zone in the am.
Happy New Year all!! Great way to start 2009.

Track time is coming, TarHeel Sports Car Club I believe is the first event of the season at VIR, running full course. I believe it is the 7th and 8th of Feb. Good group, ran with them last year. Usually a few Porsches. Hopefully not as cold as our last event.

See everyone tomorrow morning.
Old 01-02-2009, 01:22 PM
rotokim
Burning Brakes

Default Thanks, Alex!

Awesome drive this morning guys, despite the massive hangover. I really intend on being a little more active with the bunch this year. Speaking of that Feb 7th and 8th at VIR, www.tzcthscc.motorsportreg.com . This is dirt cheap and you can get a further $25 off if you use nceuro as your coupon code.
It was great to see you too, Alex. I look forward to drinking more coffee and driving with you in 2009

Also, thanks for the info regarding the event at VIR. I'm sure we'll talk about it on Saturday.

Bob
Old 01-02-2009, 04:52 PM
rmurph
Instructor

Go to TarHeel Sports Car Club site, www.thscc.com, then click on "Track", and then click on "News!!" on the upper right hand side of page. This will lead you to registration site. TarHeel has an annual inspection, so once you have your car inspected you are good for the year. I still have mine checked before every event. Cost is $ 325. for the 2 day event.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:55 PM
hets72
Instructor

FYI, I am thinking of doing Trackdaze early March....

https://www.trackdaze.com/

Was running with them last year - you get 4X 30 min sessions per day and very small run groups - a lot of VW/Audis/Porsches and some professional racing team's testing their cars... did their event last spring at VIR and was a lot of fun... I think on the 2nd day there was less than 10 car's in my group....

Can say that I was racing against Randy Probst at VIR at that event....APR had their GTI's running in several run groups for set-up/testint purposes... could hold on with him on the straights but not through the corners ...... very nice guy though...
Old 01-03-2009, 12:50 AM
rotokim
Burning Brakes

Default Last Saturday's Photos - Foggy Day

Hey, everyone,

I forgot all about these photos from a week ago. A group of us travelled from the Wake Zone to Jordan Lake to scope out a location for a group photo (when the weather is good). So, here's the link to the album. Check out Helmut's cool camera mount, as well as his Honda S2000 C/S. Enjoy!

http://www.kodakgallery.com/ShareLan...localeid=en_US

See y'all in the morning.

Bob
Old 01-03-2009, 01:25 PM
SH || NC
Drifting

Awesome time today. Ralph and John nice to finally meet you.

I don't have much to offer by ways of pics; had a battery issue with my camera. I'm sure there will be other events with better turnout. Anyway, a couple for your enjoyment.

Something that jumped out at me for a car of such high end manufacture though was the seams near the windsheild / hood mount on both the silver and white Maserati GTs; like the pivoted hinge for the hood was an afterthought.

Anyway, lots of other nice cars showed up. Other Lambos, a couple GT40s, Factory 5 Cobras.

Old 01-03-2009, 02:52 PM
hets72
Instructor

This must have happened when the Ferrari workers (Maseratis are built in the same factory as Ferrari's) went to lunch across the street from the factory....
...and then the filling was dry when they came back so they had to put some more on.... has character but no substiute for "German Engineering..."

Last edited by hets72; 01-03-2009 at 03:35 PM.
Old 01-03-2009, 04:43 PM
RoadWarrior19
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Anders0n||C4S
Ralph and John nice to finally meet you.
Same here.

I didn't take any useful pix at the meet but here is one of a couple of cars that went flying by me on the way home (Ralph in the 993)

Old 01-03-2009, 05:09 PM
rotokim
Burning Brakes

Default Wake Zone and Brier Creek

Thanks for a great morning, everyone. We started with another foggy morning at the Wake Zone, but we still had a great turnout:

Scott (White C4S)
Dell (Escalade)
John and his daughter ('83 Targa)
Ken (Silver Cayman S)
Randy (Blue 996 Aero)
Rich (Blue Boxster)
Charles (Blue 996)
John Alvi (White 997)
Helmut (S2000)
My son Charlie and me (Black 996 Aero)

After a great conversation at Wake Zone, we moved on to Brier Creek where we met up with Ralph (silver 993 cab), John and Bill (from Wilmington), and Michael (Black '88 911 coupe). Charlie and I had a great time snapping pictures and talking to everyone. Despite the overcast conditions, it was a great event.

The link to my photos on Kodakgallery.com is below.

Have a great week, everyone. See you next Saturday!
Bob

http://www.kodakgallery.com/ShareLan...localeid=en_US

Quick Reply: Cary/Apex Coffee and Bagels