996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Charlotte Fun Run

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 03:31 PM
Spidey944
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

BillJ, was great to meet you last night at the PCA meeting. This won't be one of those follow the slowest car runs will it? LOL

Last edited by Spidey944; 03-21-2008 at 03:50 PM.
Old 03-21-2008, 04:26 PM
BillJ
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Well no, but it wont be one of those 65 mph around a blind off camber corner into your fellow spun out driver kind of runs either Looking forward to it!!
Old 03-22-2008, 09:22 AM
PRESTON
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fun Run

By "pack" I mean group of cars. I drive a '87 944
Old 03-22-2008, 11:20 AM
BillJ
Burning Brakes

Sounds great Preston. See you there?
Old 03-24-2008, 08:13 AM
donmorris
AutoX

Default fun run April 5

Bill,

Krista told me about the fun run April 5.

I am a 2005 997 C2. Can I join the fun?

donmorris928@yahoo.com

Don
Old 03-24-2008, 10:06 AM
BillJ
Burning Brakes

Sounds fine Don! We are pretty much at capacity at this point so glad you can make it.

Update: took a run up into the mountains this weekend and got a great feel for how long it takes to get there from exactly our start point at GMP (a Rennlist sponsor btw) to Blowing Rock taking different routes. Spent all day driving different roads and looking at places to eat. The skinny is that it takes 2 hours to get to from GMP to Blowing Rock taking highway only. Boring but expedient to get us to the destination. That said, this is a FUN Run and it really wasnt fun going straight for 2 hours. The route I scoped out yesterday takes 3 hours to get to the center of Blowing Rock and includes some really nice countryside and twisty roads.

What I propose is to take the long way there, grab some lunch (I am arranging for a group sitting), and then either the short way back or a different yet equally twisty return trip. I know that at a minimum one car will want to take the twisty way up and the straight way back (my parents) making for about a 5-6 hour round trip. The other route will make for a 6-7 hour trip, for those that do not mind more twisty roads after lunch This will give everyone an opportunity to enjoy their day after lunch as they see fit.

Speaking of lunch I will be working with a couple restaurants to see who will give us a good deal on food for a large 25-30 group with a nice selection of food. Target will be no more than $30 per-person including soft drinks. Please let me know via PM if you know of any decent places.
Old 03-24-2008, 08:22 PM
SC996
Instructor

Thanks for the work getting this lined up Bill! Hope someone has a decent camera and we can get a few pics from the twisties.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:38 AM
BillJ
Burning Brakes

I have a pretty nice photo rig with some decent lenses. Hope to have a chance for a co-pilot to pop out the sunroof and take a pic of the cars all lined up and several other choice shots. There are some truly beautiful spots along the way as well and I am sure we can capture some nice turns
Old 03-28-2008, 11:04 AM
BillJ
Burning Brakes

Quick Update:

We will be having lunch at the Inn at Ragged Gardens' Best Cellar restaurant. They do not typically do lunch but will bring in their chef to offer an appetizer and lunch menu for everyone. The Inn is right in the heart of Blowing Rock and has a charming rustic atmosphere. Will send out the directions next week to all participants and please let me know if you are not planning to come. Will absolutely need to give them a final count.

Thanks
Bill
Old 03-29-2008, 10:21 PM
looney2n
Instructor

Originally Posted by BillJ
Quick Update:

We will be having lunch at the Inn at Ragged Gardens' Best Cellar restaurant. They do not typically do lunch but will bring in their chef to offer an appetizer and lunch menu for everyone. The Inn is right in the heart of Blowing Rock and has a charming rustic atmosphere. Will send out the directions next week to all participants and please let me know if you are not planning to come. Will absolutely need to give them a final count.

Thanks
Bill
Oh well..................I know I wasn't invited 'cause I did not have a P-car..............but that was last week.

You will be able to spot me in the crowd, as I just wrote the check today and my car will have temps on it...................how embarrassing.............my first run and with temps

If there is room, I'd love to join.................can I come out and play you guys?
Old 03-29-2008, 10:58 PM
Tom N
Instructor

Jack,

Congrats on the 911. Take my spot on the run, as I will be unable to participate for the day, although if I can get up early enough, I will come out to GMP to see the group off.

Halftime and the Tarheels are looking good!

Hope to see you on the range again soon.

And we expect to see you at the next Carolinas Region DE

Tom
Old 03-29-2008, 11:08 PM
looney2n
Instructor

Hope to see you next Saturday morning for coffee, anyway.

Thanks, I'll be glad to take your spot.

I would have been at the range today, but too busy making a deal on my new car...............

I am pretty exicited about it..........thanks, Tom
Old 03-30-2008, 10:03 AM
taylorsnutrition
Advanced

I look forward to seeing you all at GMP on April 5th. I am heading to the mountains that afternoon with some friends from work, so will not be able to attend the run.
Old 03-30-2008, 12:54 PM
SC996
Instructor

I'm looking foward to it. See how the weather does, in the mountains you never know. I might have to pass on lunch though. No offense to anyone I'm just not quite the Duck and Quail kind of guy.
Old 03-30-2008, 01:12 PM
Spidey944
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Maybe I missed this in the previous posts, but where is GMP? And is anyone from the CLT area meeting up b4 hand to caravan together? Both of these ?'s may have the same answer, who knows. Thanks! Since I live in Mooresville, i may be up for meeting up with people near Statesville/I-40 area. Let me know.

Quick Reply: Charlotte Fun Run