996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

08 Nissan GTR - is it the real deal

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 03:19 PM
nazhat
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you only knew where I came from, then you would keep your mouth shut. Try North IRAQ!
Old 02-28-2008, 03:20 PM
ls911
Pro

Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
I think I made it pretty clear bud that I wouldn't buy this thing or trade my pork4s for it.

i can still love my car and still recognize game at the same time. it's not an either/or proposition nor is porsche or X brand car a religion for me, but i see this is really getting to some sensitive parts of Rennlist and i find it absolutely comical.

yes, the GTR will get more attn period over any 911.
Not any 911, just some. The newness and styling will likely wear off a few "new" model years later. The fun factor will not.
Not many cars become legendary. Those that do seem to have passionate owners
Old 02-28-2008, 03:29 PM
TheSpeedDemon
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ls911
Not any 911, just some. The newness and styling will likely wear off a few "new" model years later. The fun factor will not.
Not many cars become legendary. Those that do seem to have passionate owners
Something that not everyone on this forum has obviously.
Old 02-28-2008, 03:33 PM
omnipresent
Racer

Ben, I can tell you from firsthand experience the GTR does gather an initial crowd. As ls911 pointed out, it's the newness...I was allowed to do about anything but drive one and the same remarks I kept hearing from others was "mundane, Infiniti, and disappointed". It is a technological wonder - that's what held my interest as I inspected it. I concur, anyone wanting attention for at least 6 months should fulfill their wishes with the GTR - after that, they'll be just another face in the crowd...and that my friend I'll happily wager with you.
FWIW, people are saying it's $70k ish, -- that's not the case, not even for employees..I've got a neighbor has worked with NNA for years and even she couldn't get one at MSRP (she wont lose sleep-she doesn't like the looks either). Look at $20k average mark up depending on region.
One question Ben, name 3 cars costing less than $200k you find more appealing than a P Car. I'm interested in seeing what someone who thinks the GTR is an attention getter thinks.
Old 02-28-2008, 03:45 PM
Jake Ok
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bottom line..as a Canadian I can't speak for the majority of Americans in this particular forum. But at the end of the day, you have a German machine in your garage not an American beast like a Viper or Vette. So if the German's are man enough to take their hats off to the Japanese, you should too. Patriotism does not apply here, be open minded instead.
Old 02-28-2008, 03:55 PM
Jake Ok
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by omnipresent
Ben, I can tell you from firsthand experience the GTR does gather an initial crowd. As ls911 pointed out, it's the newness...I was allowed to do about anything but drive one and the same remarks I kept hearing from others was "mundane, Infiniti, and disappointed". It is a technological wonder - that's what held my interest as I inspected it. I concur, anyone wanting attention for at least 6 months should fulfill their wishes with the GTR - after that, they'll be just another face in the crowd...and that my friend I'll happily wager with you.
FWIW, people are saying it's $70k ish, -- that's not the case, not even for employees..I've got a neighbor has worked with NNA for years and even she couldn't get one at MSRP (she wont lose sleep-she doesn't like the looks either). Look at $20k average mark up depending on region.
One question Ben, name 3 cars costing less than $200k you find more appealing than a P Car. I'm interested in seeing what someone who thinks the GTR is an attention getter thinks.
Regardless of what Ben says...i think you are missing the point. The GTR is a marvel & well engineered machine. Who cares if it is an attention grabing machine or not. At $80,000 (called Nissan Canada to confirm) you can't deny that you are paying more for just the P car name (which is fine with me by the way). There was more hype when the R8 was brought to market, but the views on this forum was very different. Why? because its an Audi - watered down version of the Lambo.
Old 02-28-2008, 04:05 PM
Blackness
Pro

I'm sticking to my "apples and oranges" comment and not debating that one's "better" than the other.

I'm closer to the "religious" p-car fanatic. But, I still appreciate and respect in some fashion other examples of heavy iron. No matter what continent it came from (yes even including Japan and NA). Am I going to sell my 996 for the freshest meat? I don't tnink so.

A lot of my love for the 911 comes from its racing heritage. As much as I appreciate other cars, somebody has to start racking up some wins in the motorsports arena with it for me to start considering it in the same esteem as a Porsche. Regardless of the price/performance factor or even cosmetics is of the street versions.
Old 02-28-2008, 04:12 PM
omnipresent
Racer

Originally Posted by Jake Ok
Regardless of what Ben says...i think you are missing the point. The GTR is a marvel & well engineered machine. Who cares if it is an attention grabing machine or not.
I gave Nissan much kudos for the engineering on the GT/R in prior posts..as for attention grabbing, I was simply responding to what Ben said.
Reading comprehension - getcha some EH
Old 02-28-2008, 04:38 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

blackness, omni, jake.. thank you thank you level-headed people.

omni, along the $200K under front and i'm assuming used is OK

1) Ferrari 360 Modena

2) Aston Martin DB9 with mansory kit (i'm in love with the way this thing looks)

3) lambo gallardo

but i've said this before... above the 911 it's very very hard ... heck above a $30K car these days it's very hard to get an outright better car unless you're spending double or triple the money. so in the 911 it's even harder to get an outright upgrade. the above 3 are examples where the pluses outweight the minuses enough for me that i'd trade my car in for 1 of the 3 in a heartbeat given the right circumstances.

and lest you guys not have enough foresight and wisdom to surmize as such.. i am a big 911 fan and love my car, but i give credit where credit is due. i simply cannot stand "loyalty to a fault".

what i'm learning here is that some of you have made the 911 and porsche into a religion and i can appreciate it. i'm just giving you guys another perspective from someone who respects the 911 and loves it enough to have spent his hard earned $ for it but understands there are better out there and there are worse and there are "in the near vicnity".

this reminds me of that witch hunt event back in the New England area way back when from history class. LOL
Old 02-28-2008, 04:38 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Originally Posted by TheSpeedDemon
Something that not everyone on this forum has obviously.
disappointing coming from you, we'll have to battle it out over some brews... just make sure you bring your porsche t-shirt and cap to the bar and let me take a photo to use as your avatar. the folks here would love u but i'm not sure the chicks will at the bar not that u care about that kinda stuff.
Old 02-28-2008, 05:42 PM
imdrew12
Racer

Old 02-28-2008, 05:58 PM
ls911
Pro

Hmmm....those hips don't lie.
I am an a$$ man

Game over
Old 02-28-2008, 06:31 PM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
WAHAHHHHHAHHAAHHHHHHHHAHHAHHHHA
Wow, slightly more mature than the rest of your comments. Even while you're riding people about being 911 fanboys, you laugh at the idea that we've all got other options. I'm not even talking about your precious Ferrari...as I've said in the past, I've got one child and don't need to babysit another--give me a solid daily driver any day of the week over something that needs thousands of dollars of maintenance every year.

Oh, I'm sorry--you still think everyone's biggest concern is women watching you drive by the outdoor cafe with 26" chrome rims <rolls eyes>...
Old 02-28-2008, 06:34 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Originally Posted by tooloud10
Wow, slightly more mature than the rest of your comments. Even while you're riding people about being 911 fanboys, you laugh at the idea that we've all got other options. I'm not even talking about your precious Ferrari...as I've said in the past, I've got one child and don't need to babysit another--give me a solid daily driver any day of the week over something that needs thousands of dollars of maintenance every year.

Oh, I'm sorry--you still think everyone's biggest concern is women watching you drive by the outdoor cafe with 26" chrome rims <rolls eyes>...
WHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAH
Old 02-28-2008, 07:19 PM
omnipresent
Racer

Originally Posted by ls911
Hmmm....those hips don't lie.
I am an a$$ man

Game over

yeah, I agree - I don't care if it laps the track however many seconds faster...I'm sticking with my girl and she's got an A$$ OH WHAT AN A$$

Quick Reply: 08 Nissan GTR - is it the real deal