996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Oil Wars, Revisited!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 08:10 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

OMG, the reason everyone gives up arguing facts with you is that you dimiss them. Facts are just that, non-debatable. What is even more hilarious is some of the reasoning you use to strengthen your case is actually backwards and shows a total lack of understanding about viscosity and lubricants in general. I'm not upset about it, it's actually quite entertaining! Please try to present to us one factual piece of info to make your point, no conjecture.
Old 02-18-2008, 08:32 PM
jetskied
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The so called oil expert of this board just can't provide good evidence to back up his belief because its based on pure personal feelings. So many people just believe that they just know better than the recomended factory fill. There are reason why places like Synergy uses different oils, mainly is that there engine are different spec than yours are. Most race shops take them apart and have different specs on tollerances which may be reasoning for this.
Old 02-18-2008, 08:54 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bgiere
OMG, the reason everyone gives up arguing facts with you is that you dimiss them. Facts are just that, non-debatable. What is even more hilarious is some of the reasoning you use to strengthen your case is actually backwards and shows a total lack of understanding about viscosity and lubricants in general. I'm not upset about it, it's actually quite entertaining! Please try to present to us one factual piece of info to make your point, no conjecture.

There you go again with the attacks and again, absolutely no mention of what I stated that is not true. I know, you just like to speak in general terms so as not to commit to anything, which most probably means you have limited knowledge of the subject matter. However, there are a few people here that care enough to read about other experiences and opinions and smart enough to do a little reasearch of their own if they care too. Not everyone will or should blindly accept the consensus position. The consensus is often proven wrong.

I have already prresented the facts as they relate to 0W40 and 5W50 oils. They are facts and if you care not to accept them or not, that is your choice. They are easily verified by reading your manual and with a few clicks of your mouse or a trip to your library.

There is no need to reply (although you probably won't be able to stop yourself) since you seem unable to contribute anything constructive to this discussion.
Old 02-18-2008, 09:46 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Weren't you recommending a "15" w50 just a short while ago? Why the switch? What wisdom can you share with us concerining your sudden change of heart? Why shouldn't I use a 15w50? Why 5w50? Do tell us what research and exhaustive testing led you to make this earth shattering change. Have you contacted each of the 996 owners whom you convinced to use your fomer personally approved oil? I remember debating with you about 5wxx oils. You must have had an epihany!
Old 02-18-2008, 10:09 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Originally Posted by bgiere
Weren't you recommending a "15" w50 just a short while ago? Why the switch? What wisdom can you share with us concerining your sudden change of heart? Why shouldn't I use a 15w50? Why 5w50? Do tell us what research and exhaustive testing led you to make this earth shattering change. Have you contacted each of the 996 owners whom you convinced to use your fomer personally approved oil? I remember debating with you about 5wxx oils. You must have had an epihany!
I knew you couldn't keep from responding. And once again, a meaningless response that does not even address the subject. I don't recall even mentioning 15W50 oil in this thread. Why are you wasting bandwidth?
Old 02-18-2008, 10:13 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

...Because it's better than wasting Porsche engines with your bad advice!
Old 02-18-2008, 11:01 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

No credentials. No objective proof. No examples of engine failure caused by oil viscosity problems. From a man who claimed in a recent thread to have three degrees, and writes sentences like, "You, it is a big range. There is more to oil than you can learned on the internet, which some people here refuse to accept."
Old 02-19-2008, 12:18 AM
Mother
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tippy
We had a Fluid Engineer come into my work once and state that oil in a jet engine is not for lubrication, but for cooling only. Think about that one for awhile. Made one of our Engineers dumbfounded for awhile. Jet engines use gear pumps, piston rings, and friction bearings very similar to reciprocating (car) engines.
Not completly true Tippy, I used to test turbine engines for many years on Heavy Jet AC and Oil and Gas industry and many engines use different types of seals (Carbon air/oil etc) and they do carry heat away from surfaces but also provide in sealing and lubrication.

PS: Turbines do not use pistons they are just big compressors in a way that change pressure to velocity with some Jet A fuel thrown in, not to to be pompus but if your wondering I am FAA certified.

Last edited by Mother; 02-19-2008 at 12:34 AM.
Old 02-19-2008, 12:28 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 99 Likes on 50 Posts

Wow, I thought the oil war on the 993 board was bloody, or should I say oily
Old 02-19-2008, 12:38 AM
ls911
Pro

Great stuff, love this place
Something as simple as to following the recommended engine oil has become so high tech and complicated, I am scared to ask about bearing grease.
Maybe, just maybe this has been a tiny bit overanalyzed?
Nah, if anything this calls for the assembly of an elite car engine oil research dream team
Old 02-19-2008, 10:46 AM
Blackness
Pro

I'm still waiting...
Old 02-19-2008, 11:00 AM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mother
Not completly true Tippy, I used to test turbine engines for many years on Heavy Jet AC and Oil and Gas industry and many engines use different types of seals (Carbon air/oil etc) and they do carry heat away from surfaces but also provide in sealing and lubrication.

PS: Turbines do not use pistons they are just big compressors in a way that change pressure to velocity with some Jet A fuel thrown in, not to to be pompus but if your wondering I am FAA certified.
See what I mean, it is too hard to understand that oil in jet engine is for cooling, not lubrication. If the bearings stay cool, there is no need for a lubricant according to "this" Engineer. Heat is what causes failure, remember, all thrust and radial bearings in jet engines are ball or roller.

The rings I was referring to were on the carbon seals, not for compression of a cylinder like a piston.
Old 02-19-2008, 11:05 AM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

See what I mean, it is too hard to understand that oil in jet engine is for cooling, not lubrication. If the bearings stay cool, there is no need for a lubricant according to "this" Engineer. Heat is what causes failure, remember, all thrust and radial bearings in jet engines are ball or roller.

The rings I was referring to were on the carbon seals, not for compression of a cylinder like a piston.
All moving parts must have lubrication or failure will occur. A turbine or jet engine uses oil for both lubrication and cooling as well as cleaning. The guy was pulling your leg. If not, it makes me look less crazy to be afraid of flying.
Old 02-19-2008, 11:32 AM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
All moving parts must have lubrication or failure will occur. A turbine or jet engine uses oil for both lubrication and cooling as well as cleaning. The guy was pulling your leg. If not, it makes me look less crazy to be afraid of flying.
The Engineer was not pulling anyones leg, he was explaining this to other Engineers. He had no intent to mislead or misinform and other Engineers agreed after he explained. No offense to any on this board but these Engineers I have been around for over 10 years have my ear and respect. I will listen.

Let me rephrase this. Yes, the oil lubricates and is needed to a degree, but his point was that if the bearing is "lubricated" but is too hot, it is going to fail no matter how much lubrication you have. "Wicking" away the heat outways lubrication.
Old 02-19-2008, 12:31 PM
Mother
Burning Brakes

Engineers and technicians are people to and have seen some that I would not let them touch my lawnmower "Reminder to self check oil in lawnmower". Be careful what you say Ramjet, Scram jet and other engines do not use bearings at all. Regarding the carbon seals the ones I worked with use a Delta P (oil vs air) to provide the positive flow lubrication, cooling, sealing and cleaning etc.

Quick Reply: Oil Wars, Revisited!!!