996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Oil Wars, Revisited!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 11:31 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

You guys are hilarious (especially because you apparently take me seriously) and only support my point. Anyone can post anything on the net...The whole post is very entertaining, but that is all. There are no facts or data presented. Just emotion and hypotheses.

dresler, you really need to clean up your dialog. Name calling is really not appropriate. If this is your typical reaction you should seek help.

Let the games continue.
Old 02-21-2008, 11:38 PM
ls911
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All this just for an oil change? WTF?
Nort even Utilities and IPP's challenge nor spend any time/energy on the type of oil for their multi-million dollar Turbine Generator sets.
They go by the factory recommendations. No questions asked or studies to be done, even with millions at stake on down time alone.
Come on, it's as if their factory recommended SYNTHETIC oil was destructive on their own engines. Brilliant!
Please, No mas, No mas
Old 02-22-2008, 12:31 AM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As an outsider looking in, I see that no one individual has authoritative data to back any position on specific oil weights.

The only group that have the answers are Porsche, and they don't post here (that I'm aware of)

It's very easy to back a position when there's no data to discredit your stance - and equally there's a ton of quack advice on the Internet that you'd be foolish to believe without qualification.

It is of course perfectly possible that both camps are backing an oil weight that meets the needs of the engine - one may be more 'politically correct' because of emissions, but no one here has proved that this adversely effects engine life.

What is clear is that certain individuals use this issue as their 15 minutes of fame - and whether right or wrong, they are always going to have an opinion on the subject.

I suggest that someone writes in to Mythbusters and gets Jamie and Adam to test the myth, then maybe we call all go and argue about something more productive.....
Old 02-22-2008, 12:40 AM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by cdodkin
I suggest that someone writes in to Mythbusters and gets Jamie and Adam to test the myth, then maybe we call all go and argue about something more productive.....
Good idea. We should have a definitive answer by about the year 2015.
Old 02-22-2008, 12:42 AM
cdodkin
Drifting

Originally Posted by BruceP
Good idea. We should have a definitive answer by about the year 2015.
Exactly!
Old 02-22-2008, 02:00 AM
grantq
Advanced

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
From your first link:

Mobil 1 0W-40's wide viscosity range provides unsurpassed levels of protection, fuel savings and the best overall smooth driving experience.

So reading literally, Mobil is saying that 0w-40 is the BEST grade.

(There are no direct comments about which is "better at higher temps and loads" in either link.)
Old 02-22-2008, 08:03 AM
dresler
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by wross996tt
You guys are hilarious (especially because you apparently take me seriously) and only support my point. Anyone can post anything on the net...The whole post is very entertaining, but that is all. There are no facts or data presented. Just emotion and hypotheses.

dresler, you really need to clean up your dialog. Name calling is really not appropriate. If this is your typical reaction you should seek help.

Let the games continue.
Too bad. You were dead, demonstrably, and hypocritically wrong of exactly what you accuse me of. I call 'em as I see 'em.
punk.
Old 02-22-2008, 08:43 AM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by grantq
From your first link:

Mobil 1 0W-40's wide viscosity range provides unsurpassed levels of protection, fuel savings and the best overall smooth driving experience.

So reading literally, Mobil is saying that 0w-40 is the BEST grade.

(There are no direct comments about which is "better at higher temps and loads" in either link.)
I interprete that statement as stating it is a "compromise" oil.

I don't do remedial. You can choose to accept the marketting description or you can take the initiative and educate yourself on what the specs of each oil mean. The choice is yours.

If you are going to justify using one oil over the other by highlighting a few words from the description, why not these words?

From Mobil on their 5W50:

"This oil, not only exceeds the toughest industry performance standards, it is approved by several major car manufacturers for service fill use."

And here are a few from Mobil 0W40:

"Exceeding most of the global industry standards and the major leading builder requirements......" (I wonder what standards 0W40 DOES NOT meet).

They also indicate that your engine will consume less oil with 5W50.

However, why believe words when the technical data tell you what you need to know?
Old 02-22-2008, 02:24 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

As an outsider looking in, I see that no one individual has authoritative data to back any position on specific oil weights.

The only group that have the answers are Porsche, and they don't post here (that I'm aware of)

It's very easy to back a position when there's no data to discredit your stance - and equally there's a ton of quack advice on the Internet that you'd be foolish to believe without qualification.

It is of course perfectly possible that both camps are backing an oil weight that meets the needs of the engine - one may be more 'politically correct' because of emissions, but no one here has proved that this adversely effects engine life.

What is clear is that certain individuals use this issue as their 15 minutes of fame - and whether right or wrong, they are always going to have an opinion on the subject.

That's been the problem with this thread and all others like it - a bunch of people with half an ounce of knowledge portraying it as definitive fact and bickering to the death. Honestly, it's worse than a playground.

As you, I and others have said, only Porsche knows what the effect of varying oil viscosities is on their engines and they're not telling.

One can only assume that Porsche has tested many oils considering that they have published a fairly authoritative list of approved oils. Logic states that if an oil is on the list, then it has been tested - If it's not on the list, then it either has not been tested, or it has failed to perform to specifications.

These threads only have the following consequences:
i) entertainment value for those that have not already grown tired of them
ii) allowing people to make an *** of themselves.
ii) pointless arguments that achieve nothing.

All I can say is that if you love to argue, then maybe Off-Topic is the best place to take this playground spat.
Old 02-22-2008, 02:32 PM
4-large
Racer

Wallardmac said,"I'm not getting involved in this argument, but excuse me, C&E news is not simply "a magazine" article - it is the communications arm of the American Chemical Society - it is a respected publication published by chemists for chemists. With the exception of Raudy Baum's editorial ranting it is rarely factually wrong."

Jerry
Old 02-22-2008, 03:37 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Now, now, now, 4-large - don't make me slap you too.
Old 02-22-2008, 04:26 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

It's funny how people who don't have the answers don't bother to find them and always fall back on the all encompassing "Porsche knows best" excuse. Yet, for some reason, even though they may be brain dead when it comes to oils, these Porsche owners somehow find the necessary brain cells to question Porsche's other recomendations, consciously challenging Porsche's knowledge of what is best for their cars. A few examples:

- Running non "N" rated tires
- Using an air filter other than one purchase from Porsche
- Using a battery that is not pruchased from Porsche
- Using sparkplugs other tyhan those specified by Porsche
- Using fuel additives
- Installing a short shifter not purchased from Porsche
- Having someone other than your Porsche Dealer change your oil
- Using an alternative point (engine) to lift or hold up car
- Charging your battery without removing it from the car
- and on and on and on

If you have done any of the above, you can confidently state that you have more knowledge than Porsche when it comes to knowing what is best for their car.

Amazing how the brain can think logically on so many levels yet seems to freeze up when it comes to oil.
Old 02-22-2008, 04:34 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
It's funny how people who don't have the answers don't bother to find them and always fall back on the all encompassing "Porsche knows best" excuse.
I'm only guessing here, but I'd wager that very very few people on this forum have the time or resources to actually test the performance of one oil weight versus another, over the lifetime of an M96 engine.

That's where Porsche have the advantage, they have the time, money, experience and data.

You have all of the above I presume?
Old 02-22-2008, 04:36 PM
ls911
Pro

1999, your like a pitbull...cracks me up.
You do have some good points but some of your examples have nothing to do with going by factory recommended oil and two wrongs do not = one right.
I'll stick with a squirt of KY.
Old 02-22-2008, 04:43 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

I'm only guessing here, but I'd wager that very very few people on this forum have the time or resources to actually test the performance of one oil weight versus another, over the lifetime of an M96 engine.

That's where Porsche have the advantage, they have the time, money, experience and data.

You have all of the above I presume?
About as much time you had when you somehow were able to prove that Porsche's recommendation for tires was wrong and you decided other non "N" rated tires were better. I guess you are smarter than Porsche when it comes to tires?

Quick Reply: Oil Wars, Revisited!!!