Sponsored by:

Oil Wars, Revisited!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 12:41 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mother
Engineers and technicians are people to and have seen some that I would not let them touch my lawnmower "Reminder to self check oil in lawnmower". Be careful what you say Ramjet, Scram jet and others do not use bearings at all. Regarding the carbon seals the ones I worked with use a Delta P (oil vs air) to provide the positive flow lubrication, cooling, sealing and cleaning etc.
Our Engineers were informed from this particular Engineer, I highly doubt he could be discredited so easily.

I was speaking of your run of the mill gas turbine jet engine, not a ramjet (which is found in the afterburner of our engines) or Scramjets which I have never seen in person.

If I speak anymore I will be putting out information that is considered "tech data". You know what I mean?
Old 02-19-2008, 01:01 PM
Mother
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tippy

If I speak anymore I will be putting out information that is considered "tech data". You know what I mean?
Just in the splitting heirs mood today Tippy. Point taken. . Just my opinion but I do think that there are some engineers that live by the book and never see there results in the feild where common place is common sense. I have sat in 148 degree heat at an intersection in phoenix, AZ in summer and am sure glad I was not using 0-40 WT oil.
Old 02-19-2008, 01:12 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Just my opinion but I do think that there are some engineers that live by the book and never see there results in the feild where the common place is common sense.
You are preaching about common sense just like '99 over his observations of using 0W-40. I tend to agree with '99 on this topic but I dont want to get my ***** busted over it, that is for '99 to do.
Old 02-19-2008, 01:24 PM
Mother
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Tippy
You are preaching about common sense just like '99 over his observations of using 0W-40. I tend to agree with '99 on this topic but I dont want to get my ***** busted over it, that is for '99 to do.
No, sorry you are wrong there I speak from experience between me and the engineers I have worked with over the years and the recommendation of oils from porsche and others. What matters to me is what conditions the car is being used in Racing, High/Low temp climates etc and have used the oil I think fit the best for me and not anyone else.
Old 02-19-2008, 02:52 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 80 Posts

Engineers and technicians are people to and have seen some that I would not let them touch my lawnmower "Reminder to self check oil in lawnmower".

Thanks for the great idea Mother.

I plan to switch to Mobil 1 0w-40 in the Lawn-Boy this spring.

Flame suit on. HAHA
Old 02-19-2008, 03:16 PM
Tippy
Race Car

No, sorry you are wrong there I speak from experience between me and the engineers I have worked with over the years and the recommendation of oils from porsche and others. What matters to me is what conditions the car is being used in Racing, High/Low temp climates etc and have used the oil I think fit the best for me and not anyone else.
I am agreeing not disagreeing.

Written words...... they never seem to get the point across clearly.
Old 02-19-2008, 03:18 PM
pat056
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anyone had or know 1st hand of anyone who can directly relate an engine failure to using the wrong weight oil in a 996, or any car for that matter?
The only oil related engine failure I can directly attest to is a Briggs and Stratton that was run w/o oil and it seized. I got my *** beat for that one, age 11.
I also know of a 996 Cup that was run without any oil in the crankcase. It made it to the hot pits b4 seizing.
Old 02-19-2008, 03:22 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Originally Posted by pat056
The only oil related engine failure I can directly attest to is a Briggs and Stratton that was run w/o oil and it seized. I got my *** beat for that one, age 11.
You shouldnt of got your @$$ beat for that, the Briggs motor does not use friction bearings, rather aluminum conn rod on a iron crank. If you let it cool down and add oil, it will run again. HAHA, I did the same as a kid, thats how I know. I was scared sh!tless praying it would revive with oil and it did.
Old 02-19-2008, 03:28 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by pat056
Has anyone had or know 1st hand of anyone who can directly relate an engine failure to using the wrong weight oil in a 996, or any car for that matter?
I also know of a 996 Cup that was run without any oil in the crankcase. It made it to the hot pits b4 seizing.

Has anyone had or know 1st hand of anyone who can directly relate all the engines sent back sealed to Germany for engine failure were not due to the wrong weight oil?

Just because you may not have immediate symptoms from using bad oil does not mean you are not doing damage. I have smoked heavily for 35+ years and have no health problems. Should I just assume that smoking is not potentially damaging to me?

And, yes. I personally have rebuild dozens of engines that have failed because of the oil or oiling system.
Old 02-19-2008, 04:06 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Old 02-19-2008, 04:12 PM
Mother
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DreamCarrera
Thanks for the great idea Mother.

I plan to switch to Mobil 1 0w-40 in the Lawn-Boy this spring.

Flame suit on. HAHA
15/50 it will run quiter. This should make good beginning.
Old 02-19-2008, 04:22 PM
Tippy
Race Car

15/50 it will run quiter. This should make good beginning.
I dont know about the SQ S-trim from Vortech (like what you and '99 are using), but the original S-trim was required to run Mobil 1 15W-50.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:41 AM
Blackness
Pro

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
Has anyone had or know 1st hand of anyone who can directly relate all the engines sent back sealed to Germany for engine failure were not due to the wrong weight oil?...

...And, yes. I personally have rebuild dozens of engines that have failed because of the oil or oiling system.
Have you rebuilt an M96 engine due to the oil or oiling system? Can you provide any documentation (analysis/photos) of the failure mechanism(s)?

I would think you would be happy providing just one example of oil being the reason for an M96 engine failure. Now you're implying that all engine failures that were crated up and sent back to Germany are due to the wrong weight oil. That's a bit of a stretch.
Old 02-20-2008, 10:55 AM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
Has anyone had or know 1st hand of anyone who can directly relate all the engines sent back sealed to Germany for engine failure were not due to the wrong weight oil?
Still witch hunting?

Okay, I'd like to ask a similar question: "Has anyone had or know 1st hand of anyone who can directly relate all the engines sent back sealed to Germany for engine failure were not due to..." a) Not letting elephants ride in the car, b) Not having single malt scotch for breakfast, c) Not getting laid every other day, d) Not voting for Ross Perot, or e) Not having the car blessed by a local cleric, f) Not paying protection money to Tony Soprano?

What a spectacularly lame, bankrupt, desperate piece of conspiracy-theory logic that is...
Old 02-20-2008, 10:58 AM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackness
Have you rebuilt an M96 engine due to the oil or oiling system? Can you provide any documentation (analysis/photos) of the failure mechanism(s)?

I would think you would be happy providing just one example of oil being the reason for an M96 engine failure. Now you're implying that all engine failures that were crated up and sent back to Germany are due to the wrong weight oil. That's a bit of a stretch.
Don't even try. Once, a long while back, in one of these debates, I even offered up oil analysis results from my own car, reasoning that if there was unnatural wear, you'd see it in the oil. Even this was not acceptable evidence. No fact is powerful enough to stand in the way of this conspiracy-theory juggernaut.

Quick Reply: Oil Wars, Revisited!!!