Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   996 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum-60/)
-   -   Oil Wars, Revisited!!! (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/410691-oil-wars-revisited.html)

DreamCarrera 02-16-2008 03:18 AM

Oil Wars, Revisited!!!

Tell me it aint so!!!!

Tim, you better fire up the old popcorn machine. :roflmao:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-turbo-forum/409907-oil-rumor.html

nycebo 02-16-2008 08:01 AM

Maybe they are only talking about turbos....

gota911 02-16-2008 08:01 AM

Oh man, you couldn't have waitred a week to post this? I had just finished packing up the popcorn machine for the trip to Dallas. Now you have made me unpack it again! :soapbox: :nono:

I figured I might as well put some beverages on ice too! ;)

:corn: :corn: :corn: :corn: :corn: :corn: :corn: :corn: :corn: :corn:

:biggulp: :biggulp: :biggulp: :biggulp: :biggulp: :biggulp: :biggulp: :biggulp:

Chads996 02-16-2008 10:46 AM

I already use the Mobil 1 5w-40 as stated by the Porsche Tech bulletin.

C.

Wellardmac 02-16-2008 10:48 AM

I use whatever my dealer puts in there - that's the be all and end of of this discussion for me. :)

1999Porsche911 02-16-2008 10:53 AM

I think most people with any knowledge of how an engine works and wants to properly protect the engine, no longer uses Mobil Water. Worse thing you can ever put in an engine. However, there will always be those that fall for the intense marketting of a product. Moving away from Mobil Water will provide you with better Variocam operation, less oil leakage, less oil burning and better protection of bearings and journals especially at lower rpms and high load conditions..

If I remember correctly, someone on this board has been arguing against using 0W40 for years now. I can't remember who, tho. :icon501:

6ocyclehum 02-16-2008 11:05 AM

My car makes the "clackety-clack" noises for 10-30 seconds upon startup after sitting for overnight or longer. I searched the archives and see this is common, but saw people suggest switching to 15/50 and people suggesting switching to 0/40. I'm sure it all really depends on your climate- they are as different as the oil weights! I'll be experimenting this year with oil weights, and I'll use the one that makes the engine quit making that damn scary noise at startup. I think I have 0/40 in right now (just had this car for a little over a month- not 100% sure).

tooloud10 02-16-2008 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911 (Post 5111928)
I think most people with any knowledge of how an engine works and wants to properly protect the engine, no longer uses Mobil Water. Worse thing you can ever put in an engine. However, there will always be those that fall for the intense marketting of a product. Moving away from Mobil Water will provide you with better Variocam operation, less oil leakage, less oil burning and better protection of bearings and journals especially at lower rpms and high load conditions..

If I remember correctly, someone on this board has been arguing against using 0W40 for years now. I can't remember who, tho. :icon501:

As wellardmac suggests, I use whatever the dealer puts in. The dealer puts in whatever Porsche tells him to put in. There's a big "Mobil 1" sticker under my engine lid; I'll take my chances with Porsche and the dealer before some yahoos on the Internet.

MrBonus 02-16-2008 11:45 AM

These threads remind me of the episode of South Park where the Surgeon General recommends eating food through the rectum and then defecating out of the mouth. At the end of the public service announcement, they say "...And I base this on nothing."

wross996tt 02-16-2008 01:23 PM

Read this set of information... from a Ph.D. who has studied viscocity:

Oil

1999Porsche911 02-16-2008 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by wross996tt (Post 5112313)
Read this set of information... from a Ph.D. who has studied viscocity:

Oil

None of these studies ever take into consideration the pressure of the oiling system which is their biggest fault. Without adequate pressure, even a 50 weight oil is not enough to keep componants such as the crank from slapping against the journals. This is exactly why lugging an engine is so bad.

ALL oil ratings are based on the oil properties at atmospheric pressure which, for the most part, is irrelevant when used in an engine. What is it going to do under pressure? What pressure is needed to maintain a film thick and strong enough to hold componants apart? Does a thicker oil really take longer to reach components while under pressure? If so, does the additional time it takes cause any damage?

This, among other faults, is a big problem with Mobil Water. Your oil system is not built to provide enough pressure to keep this water compressed enough to hold it's form between parts when operated at warm temperatures and low rpm's.

Look at all the people who report extremely low oil pressure when running Mobil Water. There are many on here reporting less than 10 psi at idle. With these low pressures, the engine is a time bomb, especially if sudden load is introduced. Push a sleeve out, score a journal, etc. Component slack is one of you engine's biggest enemies. Either increase the flow of your oil pump or move to an oil that will maintain the proper pressure.

I am not going to rehash all the faults of Mobil Water, but those who care should do a little research and/or testing on their own. Sometimes, even common sense can change your mind.

DreamCarrera 02-16-2008 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by nycebo (Post 5111729)
Maybe they are only talking about turbos....

It states very clearly "all the current water cooled cars", not only turbos.

Of course this is only a rumor at this point but the OP is a respected member of Rennlist and is in all likelihood telling the truth. The question is , what is the credibility of the Motul rep?

DreamCarrera 02-16-2008 02:33 PM

Here is more fuel for the fire. :evilgrin:

https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum/410727-mobil1-supersyn-oil-resting-on-its-laurels.html

Tippy 02-16-2008 02:34 PM

We had a Fluid Engineer come into my work once and state that oil in a jet engine is not for lubrication, but for cooling only. Think about that one for awhile. Made one of our Engineers dumbfounded for awhile. Jet engines use gear pumps, piston rings, and friction bearings very similar to reciprocating (car) engines.

1999Porsche911 02-16-2008 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Tippy (Post 5112513)
We had a Fluid Engineer come into my work once and state that oil in a jet engine is not for lubrication, but for cooling only. Think about that one for awhile. Made one of our Engineers dumbfounded for awhile. Jet engines use gear pumps, piston rings, and friction bearings very similar to reciprocating (car) engines.

Must be one of those engineers who got their degree through the mail. :jumper: