Sponsored by:

Oil Wars, Revisited!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 11:17 AM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by wross996tt
Blind leading the blind...I guess that makes it right...someone reads a post on here and thinks it is fact...next thing you know it is published in books (please post the reference)YOU really should read the link.
I know, I did read the articles and they are very informative, I was just joshin'.........
Old 02-21-2008, 11:29 AM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Blind leading the blind...someone reads a post on here and thinks it is fact...
Which is why I just do what Porsche tells me to do when it comes to oil. They've got the most at stake, the most tangible credentials and the biggest sample to learn from.

Anything that attracts so much vicious debate online among people you don't know, many of whom are either guessing at it or overthinking it... that's something to ignore.
Old 02-21-2008, 11:50 AM
ls911
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tested under numerous conditions that I've been ivolved in, my official recommendation is to simply add a squirt of KY. This will keep things well lubed even in the worst conditions, cold starts. There is no documentation or proof of a broken shaft using this method.
Old 02-21-2008, 12:11 PM
VGM911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ls911
Tested under numerous conditions that I've been ivolved in, my official recommendation is to simply add a squirt of KY. This will keep things well lubed even in the worst conditions, cold starts. There is no documentation or proof of a broken shaft using this method.
This is yet another well-intentioned, misinformed poster. The correct lube is NOT KY; rather, it is 0W-40 Astroglide. With Astroglide, you get superior performance, and it doesn't stain.
Old 02-21-2008, 12:46 PM
ls911
Pro

Originally Posted by VGM911
This is yet another well-intentioned, misinformed poster. The correct lube is NOT KY; rather, it is 0W-40 Astroglide. With Astroglide, you get superior performance, and it doesn't stain.
Stain? uh....will leave this one alone .
I have experienced impressive performance and reliability time and time again, zero failures directly related from my recommendations
Even below freezing? Si, no problema amigos.
I would consider further studies involving 0W-40 Astroglide, but the risk of a catastrophic failure is simply not worth it, IMHO.
Old 02-21-2008, 06:37 PM
dresler
Burning Brakes

Uh NO you are wrong:

stop making up stories you know nothing about.
http://pubs.acs.org/cen/whatstuff/84/8411oil.html :

"The oil's cold-weather weight is indicated by the letter "W," meaning "winter," as in 10W, which is gauged by the oil's viscosity at 0 °F. The warm-weather weight is based on the viscosity measured at 210 °F. Oils used to be sold mostly as single-grade products, and still are for some special uses, such as extreme weather conditions or for racing cars. But the viscosity range of single-grade oils is too limited for general use. That's where multigrade oils come in."

http://www.kic-oil.com/engine-oil-bible.html :
SAE Grade counts too! The API/ACEA ratings only refer to an oil's quality. For grade, you need to look at the SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) ratings. These describe the oil's function and viscosity standard. Viscosity means the substance and clinging properties of the lubricant. When cold, oil can become like treacle so it is important that any lube is kept as thin as possible. It's cold performance is denoted by the letter 'W', meaning 'winter'. At the other end of the scale, a scorching hot oil can be as thin as water and about as useful too.

I could post dozens more, but look it up it yourself, arrogant butthead.
Old 02-21-2008, 06:40 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by dresler
arrogant butthead.
Laughed right out loud. Just love those gloves-off moments...
Old 02-21-2008, 08:10 PM
grantq
Advanced

Originally Posted by Blackness
Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
...The approved oil companies state that the 5W50 is better at higher temps and loads.
I'm a real dumbass so you need to lead me to the trough. Can you provide a link or quote from a document from one of the approved oil companies that states this in plain english?
1999, could you please answer? I too am interested.
Old 02-21-2008, 08:22 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by grantq
1999, could you please answer? I too am interested.
Just go to the website and look.

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lub...il_1_0W-40.asp

http://www.mobil.com/Australia-Engli...bil1_5W-50.asp
Old 02-21-2008, 09:51 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by dresler
I could post dozens more, but look it up it yourself, arrogant butthead.
Both articles are exactly what I am talking about...nonsense. You read a magazine article and you know it all...good luck. Your use of derogatory remarks only confirms your intelligence.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:53 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The latest Porsche TSB states 0W40 and 5W40 as approved oil for their cars all over the world. I went with 5W40.

The end!
Old 02-21-2008, 09:57 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Both articles are exactly what I am talking about...nonsense. You read a magazine article and you know it all...good luck. Your use of derogatory remarks only confirms your intelligence.

I'm not getting involved in this argument, but excuse me, C&E news is not simply "a magazine" article - it is the communications arm of the American Chemical Society - it is a respected publication published by chemists for chemists. With the exception of Raudy Baum's editorial ranting it is rarely factually wrong.
Old 02-21-2008, 10:52 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Wellardmac
I'm not getting involved in this argument, but excuse me, C&E news is not simply "a magazine" article - it is the communications arm of the American Chemical Society - it is a respected publication published by chemists for chemists. With the exception of Raudy Baum's editorial ranting it is rarely factually wrong.
Is this a refereed journal? Who pays for its publication? BTW I am a chemist by degree.

Having fun yet?
Old 02-21-2008, 11:04 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Is this a refereed journal? Who pays for its publication? BTW I am a chemist by degree.

Having fun yet?

Yes, and I'm a chemist by Ph.D, so you really don't want me to get involved in this considering I DO have a background that is relevant to the discussion.

time to stop the pissing match and move on.
Old 02-21-2008, 11:11 PM
dresler
Burning Brakes

stop wasting energy and look it up. You act like you're the only one here with advanced degrees.

How about Gulf oil Co?
http://www.gulfoilltd.com/faq_s/index.html
"5. We have come across an oil having a 20W-40 rating. What does 'W' stand for ?
This is the common terminology used to indicate a multi-grade oil. 'W' signifies the winter rating of the oil, showing that it will perform well in cold weather. The lower the number prefixing the 'W', the lower the temperature the oil can withstand. Thus 10W- indicates a lower viscosity at low temperature than 20W-. The second figure shows the viscosity at 100 C, which is close to the bulk oil temperature in most water-cooled engines"

How about Valvoline?
http://www.valvoline.com/carcare/art...=ccr20040601ov
"Most people are familiar with oil's viscosity rating—10W40, for example. However, very few may know that the "W" refers to "winter," not "weight." And most of us have no idea what the weight-rating numbers actually mean other than that the vehicle's manufacturer specifies a particular viscosity"

Or, a book: "Polymer Characterization: Laboratory Techniques and Analysis By Nicholas P. Cheremisinoff"
http://books.google.com/books?id=LGb...Tgcg#PPA208,M1
Appendix D

The point is, the W represents the viscosity measured cold, like, in winter. This is the origin of the W designation, and frankly, is a stupid point to bring up at any rate, because it does not change the meaning of anything I said.
Bonehead.

Quick Reply: Oil Wars, Revisited!!!