Sponsored by:

Flash or Dash - the Better Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 01:29 AM
steve germany
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flash or Dash - the Better Porsche

Which one is a better Porsche - the Cab or the coupe? Does the Cab work out to be a better investment? Is the extra care and feeding required for a Cab worth the problems? Performance wise the coupe wins hands down but what about the "big picture"?
Old 01-10-2008, 06:54 AM
Dutchie in NC
Burning Brakes

Not sure; don't think any of these are a good investment... depreciating asset, but great fun.

Not sure what you mean with 'extra care and feeding'... don't believe I give it any extra care versus what the coupe guys do... as it relates to feeding... it eats pretty much everything... much better at the table than my 3 and 5 year old

The cab is a bit heavier, so you loose a couple of tenths of a second in the 0-60, etc. However, you do get the incredible pleasure of driving with the top down on a nice day... that is very hard to beat in my opinion! Both are great cars.
Old 01-10-2008, 07:54 AM
rdstemler
Burning Brakes

Some would depend on how many nice days you have!!!
Old 01-10-2008, 09:04 AM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

For me - Coupe. Why? Better chassis stiffness & performance including less overall problems. Historically speaking, cabs have had issues with leaking tops, fading material, etc. Unless you choose to get the hard top, my preference would be a coupe.

HOWEVER,

It is quite ok to disagree. That is why they make cabs. Each to their own...

C.
Old 01-10-2008, 12:00 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like driving convertibles, but the problem with the 911 is that the coupe clearly looks better than the drop top, but then I can totally see how driving the cab is a more involved driving experience because you can hear everything so much better as you're all out there.

Tough call, man. I have a coupe, but would entertain the thoughts of a drop top 911 next time around. The critical thing here is that it must have a glass rear window. The plastic rear window is a major no.
Old 01-10-2008, 12:26 PM
BoulderNick
Three Wheelin'

Location: Boulder, CO : 12 Square miles surrounded by reality.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Blonde or Brunette? Cabernet or Pinot? Windows or Mac?

There's no such thing as better, when it's all a matter of personal taste and what's important to you.

For some, the extra fractions of a second 0-60 are what it's all about, and the coupe is the best choice. Other's are willing to give up a few tenths for the sheer joy of driving on a summer's day, top down, wind in your hair (or in my case, wind where my hair used to be ).

There's only one person who can answer the question of what's right for you - you.

- Nick
Old 01-10-2008, 12:36 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by BoulderNick
Windows or Mac?

There's no such thing as better, when it's all a matter of personal taste and what's important to you
Sorry I have to respectfully disagree Nick, but there is NO question that MACs are superior...after all they can run all of those lousy Windows programs as well as their own...but I digress...the question "Big Picture" can not and will not be answered in this thread. This is an age old debate...there is no better (heck a cab came in second in the turbo shootout years ago)...to each his own.
Old 01-10-2008, 12:50 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by wross996tt
Sorry I have to respectfully disagree Nick, but there is NO question that MACs are superior...after all they can run all of those lousy Windows programs as well as their own...
Took the words straight out of my mouth..........
Old 01-10-2008, 12:56 PM
gregorycarl
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I loved, Loved my drop. I sold it and have a coupe which I think looks better than cabrio, but man I miss that convertible when it is a beautiful day outside. My next 911, I'm going back to the drop top, just to mix it up again. Maybe a year or two.

Miss the smell of the water (live by a large lake) and the smoke from BBQ's and bonfires. Not the full effect with windows down and moon open.
Old 01-10-2008, 12:56 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so if macs are so superior, what does that get you ross? some sort of odd satisfaction that a hardware platform with miniscule market share makes u feel good with their smooth icons and gadgets for emailing and web posting and photoshopping of your very nice looking cab ride?

each has its own place in this very big world. just like boulder and santa monica.
Old 01-10-2008, 01:15 PM
Meister Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

First off, what in the world is up with that picture in your signature?
Is it meant to be a non sequitur to add further confusion to the Cab/Coupe debate?
What kind of aircraft?

Personally, I've got a '62 Bug Cabriolet with a 2110 (and original glass rear window!) that I use for cruising locally.
Although it's as quick as my 996 0-60, it's not optimal for high-speeds or very long distances.

You're in Germany, right?
The Coupes are probably much more popular (and expensive) there because of the weather and driving Autobahn speeds.

I'd also love a 996 Cab, but I chose the Coupe because (a) it's a more serious driver's car, (b) better security for a near daily driver, and (c) don't have to worry about top maintenance.

The prices must be higher there though, right?
I think a lot of Europeans (and Asians) are coming over and picking cars up, especially with the exchange rate.
Old 01-10-2008, 01:26 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I have both (911 coupe, Boxster vert).

The cab, won't really require much "extra feeding" but here are some things to consider.
- Noise, a cloth roof (even insulated) is noisier just driving down the street.
- Extra weight and chassis stiffness are factors to consider.
- Sun, on the right day convertables are hard to beat for sun and top down fun.
- Track, if you are planning on going the coupe is better there (safer/lighter)
- Looks, this really comes down to personal opinion

Nothing wrong with either choice. I'm personally not a huge fan of the convertable look on the 911, but many love 'em.

Buy what you like.....
Old 01-10-2008, 01:33 PM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

I think the Coupe shows the classic lines better than the Cab, so I'm a Coupe guy when it comes to the 911. The "better" Porsche? Simple, it's the one you have.
Old 01-10-2008, 01:38 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by steve germany
Which one is a better Porsche - the Cab or the coupe?

[...]

but what about the "big picture"?
The coupe is better. I don't like messed up hair. And while I still have a full head, I'm keeping it combed.

There is no big picture. It's just a car.

-td
Old 01-10-2008, 02:04 PM
arr0gant
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by BoulderNick
Blonde or Brunette? Cabernet or Pinot? Windows or Mac?

- Nick
Blonde's, Pinot and Windows.

Quick Reply: Flash or Dash - the Better Porsche