Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Flash or Dash - the Better Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 02:20 PM
BoulderNick
Three Wheelin'

Location: Boulder, CO : 12 Square miles surrounded by reality.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by arr0gant
Blonde's, Pinot and Windows.
And apparently a coupe.

Personally, I go for brunette (Well, OK, technically my wife has black hair, being of asian descent), a good Cabernet over a mediocre Pinot (but a good Pinot overall), Macs, and a Cabriolet to drive.

But that the whole point.. to each his own.. what works for you might not work for me, and vice-versa

- Nick
Old 01-10-2008, 03:31 PM
arr0gant
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by BoulderNick

Pa good Cabernet over a mediocre Pinot (but a good Pinot overall)
- Nick
I don’t know. It’s a hard grape to grow. As you know. It’s thin-skinned, temperamental, ripens early. It’s not a survivor like Cabernet that can grow anywhere and thrive even when neglected. Pinot needs constant care and attention and in fact can only grow in specific little tucked-away corners of the world. And only the most patient and nurturing growers can do it really, can tap into Pinot’s most fragile, delicate qualities. Only when someone has taken the time to truly understand its potential can Pinot be coaxed into its fullest expression. And when that happens, its flavors are the most haunting and brilliant and subtle and thrilling and ancient on the planet.
Old 01-10-2008, 03:35 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BoulderNick
Blonde or Brunette? Cabernet or Pinot? Windows or Mac?
Brunette, Cabernet, Windows
Old 01-10-2008, 03:51 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
so if macs are so superior, what does that get you ross? some sort of odd satisfaction that a hardware platform with miniscule market share makes u feel good with their smooth icons and gadgets for emailing and web posting and photoshopping of your very nice looking cab ride?

each has its own place in this very big world. just like boulder and santa monica.
Here's what superior means to me: My whole company runs on Macs. No viruses in twelve years. No lost data, ever. No machine down time. Three quarters of problems are user-serviceable. And work stations remain in service for an average of five years, with full software support. Thirty stations, and I have to share an IT guy with two other companies because I can't keep him busy.

That's money, baby.

Oh, and chicks dig 'em, too. If you're going to sit in Starbucks looking all poetic and serious staring into your laptop screen, it's gotta be a Mac.

Boulder and Santa Monica. You slay me. You're too good for a Dell.
Old 01-10-2008, 03:56 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Old 01-10-2008, 04:05 PM
arr0gant
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Owned! Macs are for people who don't know how to use a computer...can't think for themselves...and want to spend WAY MORE money to buy a computer and use software that is spoon-fed to them....but god, they sure do LOOK pretty!
Old 01-10-2008, 04:17 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Owned! Macs are for people who don't know how to use a computer...can't think for themselves...and want to spend WAY MORE money to buy a computer and use software that is spoon-fed to them....but god, they sure do LOOK pretty!
Thank you, Captain Insecure.

Yes, you're right. And cars are for people that don't know how to use a horse.
Old 01-10-2008, 04:57 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I don’t know. It’s a hard grape to grow. As you know. It’s thin-skinned, temperamental, ripens early. It’s not a survivor like Cabernet that can grow anywhere and thrive even when neglected. Pinot needs constant care and attention and in fact can only grow in specific little tucked-away corners of the world. And only the most patient and nurturing growers can do it really, can tap into Pinot’s most fragile, delicate qualities. Only when someone has taken the time to truly understand its potential can Pinot be coaxed into its fullest expression. And when that happens, its flavors are the most haunting and brilliant and subtle and thrilling and ancient on the planet.

WTF?!?!? That sounds like a commercial or you read it straight from the back of a bottle.
Old 01-10-2008, 04:59 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Originally Posted by BruceP
Here's what superior means to me: My whole company runs on Macs. No viruses in twelve years. No lost data, ever. No machine down time. Three quarters of problems are user-serviceable. And work stations remain in service for an average of five years, with full software support. Thirty stations, and I have to share an IT guy with two other companies because I can't keep him busy.

Sir Bruce has spoken......... Right on
Old 01-10-2008, 05:02 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Want to hear a reality check....

Apple's finance department uses PCs.
Old 01-10-2008, 05:03 PM
gregorycarl
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

You're right. Finally someone gets it. I have used macs for almost 20 years and have had to put up with using it on a daily basis. I don't even think, because my stupid computer runs all day long and I never have the opportunity to get into the "why did it crash now" mode. I hate only having to think about my business and marketing. These macs are useless. I wouldn't use a mac except the entire industry is on them, and I really am pissed that in the past 10 years I have only put 7 figures in the bank, that is hardly worth spending an extra 500 bucks for. I should have put double that into the bank with a dell. Damn I hate macs. If only they hadn't come out with the i-pods and that stupid i-tunes, I could still be buying CD's with one great song on it and 9 bad songs. I could stand in front of the CD racks and wonder is the rest of this CD any good...you know, really think about it. I hate apple!
Old 01-10-2008, 05:07 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Owned! Macs are for people who don't know how to use a computer...

True,

Ponder this: What does that say about Mac's reliability when PC users have less uptime even though they have a greater knowledge of how computers work?
Old 01-10-2008, 05:07 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Originally Posted by riad
Want to hear a reality check....

Apple's finance department uses PCs.
So does mine, actually. The networked accounting system my industry uses doesn't support Mac. Ironic in the extreme. (Apple's issue may be as simple as audit requirements).

And I'll add that these two Wintel boxes have needed more IT support and more frequent replacement than everything else I'm running combined.

It's still a Windows world.
Old 01-10-2008, 05:11 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by gregorycarl
You're right. Finally someone gets it. I have used macs for almost 20 years and have had to put up with using it on a daily basis. I don't even think, because my stupid computer runs all day long and I never have the opportunity to get into the "why did it crash now" mode. I hate only having to think about my business and marketing. These macs are useless. I wouldn't use a mac except the entire industry is on them, and I really am pissed that in the past 10 years I have only put 7 figures in the bank, that is hardly worth spending an extra 500 bucks for. I should have put double that into the bank with a dell. Damn I hate macs. If only they hadn't come out with the i-pods and that stupid i-tunes, I could still be buying CD's with one great song on it and 9 bad songs. I could stand in front of the CD racks and wonder is the rest of this CD any good...you know, really think about it. I hate apple!
Classic...great thread hijacking folks...sorry I couldn't reply benny, but you have been on my ignore list for at least a year now.

Funny I start up windows from time to time and every time I do I wonder what idiot wrote this operating system. The only crash I have had in the last 10 years is Windows running on my mac. Now back to the Porsche discussion...
Old 01-10-2008, 05:13 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Originally Posted by wross996tt
Classic...great thread hijacking folks...sorry I couldn't reply benny, but you have been on my ignore list for at least a year now.

Funny I start up windows from time to time and every time I do I wonder what idiot wrote this operating system. The only crash I have had in the last 10 years is Windows running on my mac. Now back to the Porsche discussion...
Fair enough. But you have to laugh at the ironic parallel to the oil vs. water-cooling debate. Does it count as Porsche content if it's metaphorical?

I'll shut up now...

Quick Reply: Flash or Dash - the Better Porsche