Sponsored by:

Flash or Dash - the Better Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 08:35 PM
arr0gant
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceP

But it just amazes me that people like you can find the energy to get so worked up about it. It's a freakin' appliance, dude. You want to argue about fridges and stoves next?
Here's what superior means to me: My whole company runs on Macs. No viruses in twelve years. No lost data, ever. No machine down time. Three quarters of problems are user-serviceable. And work stations remain in service for an average of five years, with full software support. Thirty stations, and I have to share an IT guy with two other companies because I can't keep him busy.

That's money, baby.

Oh, and chicks dig 'em, too. If you're going to sit in Starbucks looking all poetic and serious staring into your laptop screen, it's gotta be a Mac.

Boulder and Santa Monica. You slay me. You're too good for a Dell.
People like me? Don't be a douche, Bruce, you're the one who had the energy to opine 1st. I'm just stating my opinion. Fact is, if you knew what you were doing, PC's are much cheaper to run and maintain, especially once out of warranty.
Old 01-10-2008, 08:55 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by arr0gant
People like me? Don't be a douche, Bruce, you're the one who had the energy to opine 1st. I'm just stating my opinion. Fact is, if you knew what you were doing, PC's are much cheaper to run and maintain, especially once out of warranty.
So now namecalling? Douche? You're a class act.

Tell you what: I'll keep running my business my way, which happens to be very profitably. I was also clear that PCs can't do what I need done anyway, so the discussion was silly and fun but ultimately moot. That was a statement of fact, which you're in no position to argue with because you don't actually know what I need a computer to do, now, do you?

The difference between my opinion and yours, as expressed here, is that I did not see the need to attack those who didn't share it. I didn't call Windows users names the way you did. I just declared my preference from my experience. This nuance has eluded you in the past, also, and likely always will. Pity. It really kills conversation when you can't get your point across without insulting people.

You've got an anger problem, sport. You should see somebody about that. Surely all this heartburn can't be over desktop computer operating systems.
Old 01-10-2008, 09:15 PM
arr0gant
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

So now namecalling? Douche? You're a class act.

Tell you what: I'll keep running my business my way, which happens to be very profitably. I was also clear that PCs can't do what I need done anyway, so the discussion was silly and fun but ultimately moot. That was a statement of fact, which you're in no position to argue with because you don't actually know what I need a computer to do, now, do you?

The difference between my opinion and yours, as expressed here, is that I did not see the need to attack those who didn't share it. I didn't call Windows users names the way you did. I just declared my preference from my experience. This nuance has eluded you in the past, also, and likely always will. Pity. It really kills conversation when you can't get your point across without insulting people.

You've got an anger problem, sport. You should see somebody about that. Surely all this heartburn can't be over desktop computer operating systems.
Lighten up, Bruce. It's all in good fun!!
Old 01-10-2008, 10:16 PM
Dutchie in NC
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

... the sysem only let me put 50 of these in... I think this discussion is going to take me more p-corn than that!
Old 01-10-2008, 10:27 PM
steve germany
Instructor

Originally Posted by RF5BPilot
I have owned 3 coupes & now a drop top (cab). The newer the car, the less the top maintenance and the less difference there is between the handling/stiffness of the cab & coupe. My cab seems slightly quieter with the soft top up than with the hard top on. But the car is easier to wash in the winter with the hard top on.

The reasons to own a coupe:
- less epensive
- no top maintenance expenses
- you want to gut it and race it
- you live in an area where you expect people to cut a soft top and break into your car
- you will park it outside in a location that would be hard on any car, but especially on a soft top
- you live in an area where you don't have nice scenery or nice weather.

Reasons to buy a Cabriolet:
- used, it will often sell faster than a coupe
- it is a genuine pleasure on a nice day
- no sunroof maintenance or expenses
- you want to drive your car for pleasure, not just speed
- you have a garage and/or live in a nice neighborhood
- you want to have comparable performance to a coupe, but the additional pleasure of open air motoring.

I rode motorcycles for years. While the dynamics of riding a motorcycle are great, suiting up like SpaceMan Spiff takes a lot of enjoyment out. It's great to be out motoring without all the protective gear. Especially with the extending roll bars on the later cars, the chance that you will be in an accident where the difference in protection between a cab and a coupe actually matters--seems low.

Nothing like a ride in a cab on a nice day to put a smile on your face. While all cars are enjoyable at higher speeds, if you are driving slow through neighborhoods or out on back roads....cabs seem better.

Were I to buy another Porsche, my preference would be for another cab. Good driving technique will make you much faster than the tenth of a second or so that you'd lose with the extra 150lbs of weight. You'd probably find a few tenths difference across similar cars anyway--just error variance.

Drive what gives you a smile.
Excellent reply - thanks for the insight. The motorcycle analogy really puts a different insight into the decision.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:30 PM
steve germany
Instructor

Originally Posted by ls911
I have gone over the threads and given it more thought. I decided coupe is the way to go and I also like big Macs, nothing against the Whopper.
LOL
Old 01-10-2008, 10:51 PM
steve germany
Instructor

Originally Posted by Meister Fahrer
First off, what in the world is up with that picture in your signature?
Is it meant to be a non sequitur to add further confusion to the Cab/Coupe debate?
What kind of aircraft?

Personally, I've got a '62 Bug Cabriolet with a 2110 (and original glass rear window!) that I use for cruising locally.
Although it's as quick as my 996 0-60, it's not optimal for high-speeds or very long distances.

You're in Germany, right?
The Coupes are probably much more popular (and expensive) there because of the weather and driving Autobahn speeds.

I'd also love a 996 Cab, but I chose the Coupe because (a) it's a more serious driver's car, (b) better security for a near daily driver, and (c) don't have to worry about top maintenance.

The prices must be higher there though, right?
I think a lot of Europeans (and Asians) are coming over and picking cars up, especially with the exchange rate.
The pic is of an open door helicopter sight seeing trip - open air association...

Don't remember the model of the helo...

My targa C6 Vette is unusable on the autobahn with the top off. I never see a 911 Cab with the top down on the autobahn - well once or twice (and they did not look comfortable).

Is the insurance much different for the Cab over the Coupe?

You are right about the exchange rate - US cars are being sold over here for a 20% profit after import and conversion.

There is an additional cost for shipping a Vert on a roll on roll of ship but I'm not sure how much it is.
Old 01-10-2008, 11:57 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tooloud10
What does it say about Apple's priorities when the machine costs twice as much but uses the same components (laptop processors in a desktop?, integrated graphics?) as pretty much any cheap Wintel box around?
Too easy, it is called less volume.

Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
i can do more with less $ on windows vista
You dropped $2500 on a night out and your worried about a few hundred extra for a Mac?
Old 01-10-2008, 11:58 PM
RF5BPilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Virtually no difference in insurance in my area. That might be different in New York City (but why would you want to own a car there??)

I haven't taken the cab to Autobaun speeds, but at 75-95mph in the U.S., it is surprisingly quiet with the top down (compared to some older English and Italian convertibles I've owned where the wind buffeting was substantial at 70mph.)
Old 01-11-2008, 12:06 AM
steve germany
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tippy

You dropped $2500 on a night out and your worried about a few hundred extra for a Mac?
Not to be rude but ....
Old 01-11-2008, 12:21 AM
rleeq
Racer

Coupe over cab for me.
FYI: In the not to distance future computers/machines will evolve and will be considered “life forms” and demand the same rights as human.
Old 01-11-2008, 01:32 AM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Okay I am going to give it to you ALL straight!!!

WE ARE ALL GOING TO TO DIE .......in the end...some sooner some later!!

That being said: Cabs look better than coupes (sorry Benjamin, but what the F do you know about style...looking at your avatar?!?)

Mac is as good or as bad as windows.....I had a mac crashing on me a couple of weeks ago (and I am talking about a G5 that had cost me 8,000 new!) and I had more than one HD crashing in my other G5's .....all because MAC uses the worst of the worst HD's ...Maxtor.

And to be honest I love both cabs and coupes.....just like to freeze my A of in socal in the winter with my top down! ANd Benjamin...you got a very nice c4s...so you must have some style.
I am trying to be nicer in 2008...does it show??
Old 01-11-2008, 05:36 AM
steve germany
Instructor

Moderators - could you please rename this thread to "Windows vs Mac - porsche"
Old 01-11-2008, 09:43 AM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

So much rage...

Not going to debate you on the facts, here, because you're bringing a knife to a gunfight on this subject. But I will say that it's the height of hypocrisy for a Porsche guy to be dissing Mac owners because their machines are too pretty, overpriced and can't be economically user-upgraded. Anybody can build a low-profile, all-in-one car. It's called a Toyota.
Not if you're the guy that paid $33k for a Porsche that cost the first owner $85k + $13k for the new engine. I wouldn't buy a Mac because of the price just like I wouldn't buy a brand new Porsche because of the price.
Old 01-11-2008, 09:48 AM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Tippy
Sorry, but when one can build their own Windows box with name-brand parts and still be cheaper, the "volume" argument won't fly.

Quick Reply: Flash or Dash - the Better Porsche