996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Flash or Dash - the Better Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 10:04 AM
kilrgt
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Buy what you want......These days all cars are taking a big hit, Will it really matter to you what i said when you realize you purchased the wrong car for the wrong reasons?Believe it or not it really is that simple to buy what YOU like, if you were to buy what I like it would be a TT coupe.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:55 AM
skiracer
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 130 Posts

Getting back to the original question: Why not get a cab w/ the removable aluminum hardtop so you can have both? Granted, it doesn't look exactly like a coupe w/ the hardtop on, but life is full of compromises. I'll keep my hardtop on in the winter, and go topless in the summer!
Old 01-11-2008, 11:23 AM
gregorycarl
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nicolaasdb
Okay I am going to give it to you ALL straight!!!

WE ARE ALL GOING TO TO DIE .......in the end...some sooner some later!!

That being said: Cabs look better than coupes (sorry Benjamin, but what the F do you know about style...looking at your avatar?!?)

Mac is as good or as bad as windows.....I had a mac crashing on me a couple of weeks ago (and I am talking about a G5 that had cost me 8,000 new!) and I had more than one HD crashing in my other G5's .....all because MAC uses the worst of the worst HD's ...Maxtor.

And to be honest I love both cabs and coupes.....just like to freeze my A of in socal in the winter with my top down! ANd Benjamin...you got a very nice c4s...so you must have some style.
I am trying to be nicer in 2008...does it show??
I have a bridge to sell ya. I have the latest greatest G5 breathing fire, with tons of memory, loaded to the gills and it was under 3G's.

Did you spend the extra 5 grand on hookers?

Option 1 - I have a 2000 c4 for sale, I'll give it to you for $65,000. Deal?
OR
Option 2 - 2000 C4 with my Mac G5 and the bridge...for a package deal of $75,000 and I'll throw in a Ginsu knife. sorry.
Old 01-11-2008, 12:46 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by tooloud10
Sorry, but when one can build their own Windows box with name-brand parts and still be cheaper, the "volume" argument won't fly.
Um, in the computer business, the biggest volume pricing benefits accrue at the component level, not the assembly level. Ask Michael Dell. Given the facts of standardization and immensely greater production numbers for things like processors, and you're going to be able to build cheaper whether you're Dell or some guy tinkering in his basement, taking breaks from knitting his own underpants.
Old 01-11-2008, 01:24 PM
arr0gant
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceP
Um, in the computer business, the biggest volume pricing benefits accrue at the component level, not the assembly level. Ask Michael Dell. Given the facts of standardization and immensely greater production numbers for things like processors, and you're going to be able to build cheaper whether you're Dell or some guy tinkering in his basement, taking breaks from knitting his own underpants.
Bruce, you kill me. I'm not sure where you come up with this stuff.

Apple can get the hardware at the same price as the local guy buying the same parts (processor, vid card, hard drives, memory ect...). Matter of fact, apple can get the parts cheaper than the local guy (knitting his underwear)

It's the fact that everything they sell is proprietary so they can charge whatever they want, and they will, as long as the suckers keep lapping it up.

Apple is a complete monopoly, as they control ALL the software that goes on their machine and ALL the hardware that goes IN their machine.

Gotta run, have heartburn, gonna KICK the dog!
Old 01-11-2008, 01:35 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Originally Posted by arr0gant
Apple is a complete monopoly, as they control ALL the software that goes on their machine and ALL the hardware that goes IN their machine.
You know, it's funny: That's the same argument people used in the late 80s and early 90s when predicting Apple's imminent downfall.

Anyway, the world will be shocked to learn the news you've shared here today, that Macs are just the same as PCs inside. You'll get on 60 Minutes and be famous, but sadly, billions in market cap will be destroyed as their share price plummets and they get called to account for their fraudulent practices. Microsoft will be implicated also, for falsely claiming that different software was required to run on the two operating systems when, as revealed here today, the boxes and guts inside are just the same. Weeping children will fill the streets, their iPods now silent. Inevitably, an economic depression will follow, this being the last straw in investor confidence, broken by your shocking revelation. People will hurl themselves from windows. Porsche resale values will plummet. And this forum will be flooded with agricultural laborers and convenience store clerks wanting to learn all about their new-to-them GT3s.

I hope you're happy.
Old 01-11-2008, 01:42 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tippy
Too easy, it is called less volume.

You dropped $2500 on a night out and your worried about a few hundred extra for a Mac?
Allocating cost and intrinsic value, bud. You're smarter than this.
Old 01-11-2008, 01:49 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

[QUOTE=washington dc porsche;4969814]WTF?! LOL!! A 180, huh?

Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
1 - you all are huge nerds

2 - anytime i see any sort of serious business guy sittin in front of a mac... he looks like an overgrown kid i don't know why, but it's just the perception thing of it all and i used to have a mac and i think they're great for what they have to offer, but at the end of the day, i can do more with less $ on windows vista

3 - for those of you who have me on your ignore list and you let me know about it and you think i even remotely begin to care in the near vicinity of caring... well, most of you end up reading my **** anyways cuz curiousity is killing ya... all eyez on me.

I've grown to like the drop to 911. i can understand why someone would pick it over the coupe.[/QUOTE[/SIZE]]
Yea, I guess I've switched up my game here a bit.

I saw an aerokitted, lowered on 19s narrowbody carrera in person recently and it did look damn good. I still maintain that coupes look better, but i can see now how the drop top experience would must make it more of a thrill to drive than a coupe.
Old 01-11-2008, 01:50 PM
arr0gant
Drifting

Fact of the matter is....

PC's are cheaper because of competition with all of the PC manufacturers out there, not to mention the mom and pops that can build and sell computers to spec. You can build a PC for about $350 right now, forget about Microsoft, you can run linux and any piece of software you need, for free (open source). Try that with Apple!! The PC market is epidemy of how an open-market should be.

Apple, on the other went from 7$ a share to about $200. Why you ask? Well it would not have been possible without a pretty and well-marketed product called the IPOD (this product saved Apple from certain bankruptcy. Through this product and superior marketing they have seen the sales of their computers skyrocket. Apple has created a whole new generation of mindless zombies.

People who buy apple perceive themselves to be getting a superior product, when all they are getting is a trendy machine that they think is pretty but ultimately inferior in so many ways... not to mention, grossly overpriced!

If there were other companies that could build and sell Apples, with whatever software, Apples prices would be sliced in half. You're completely wrong that Apple's cost more because the pay more for their parts
Old 01-11-2008, 02:03 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Originally Posted by arr0gant
Fact of the matter is....

PC's are cheaper because of competition with all of the PC manufacturers out there, not to mention the mom and pops that can build and sell computers to spec. You can build a PC for about $350 right now, forget about Microsoft, you can run linux and and piece of software you need, for free (open source). Try that with Apple!! The PC market is epidemy of how an open-market should be.

Apple, on the other went from 7$ a share to about $200. Why you ask? Well it would not have been possible without a pretty and well-marketed product called the IPOD (this product saved Apple from certain bankruptcy. Through this product and superior marketing they have seen the sales of their computer skyrocket. Apple has created a whole generations of mindless zombies.

People who buy apple perceive themselves to be getting a superior product, when all they are getting is a trendy machine that they think is pretty but ultimately inferior in so many ways...

If there were other companies that could build and sell Apples, with whatever software, Apples prices would be sliced in half. You're completely wrong that Apple's cost more because the pay more for their parts
Your facts are wrong (it was the original iMac that turned the business around, and PCs are cheaper because Microsoft opened up their operating system, immediately commoditizing hardware and turning Microsoft into a near-monopoly). Your missive is full of insults and name calling (zombies?!). Your spelling is incorrect (the word you were looking for is 'epitome'). Other companies did try to build Macs in a too-little, too-late experiment in licensing their operating system (You may recall Microsoft being brought up on anti-trust charges, and making a token investment in Apple?) And you haven't offered a single piece of evidence to support your case, nor have you shown any interest in why I - who have no issues with Windows machines or the people who use them - prefer a Mac for my needs.

Altogether, I think you've made yourself look like a fool, here.

I'll just move on so these people can have their thread back. And I repeat my suggestion that you get some help with your anger issues. Anybody who can get so humourlessly worked up about a product nobody is forcing them to buy is headed for a heart attack.
Old 01-11-2008, 02:09 PM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sick of my popcorn, so I'm going out to get a McRib for lunch. Wait, they ended the farewell tour yet again? Those McBastards!!!!!
Old 01-11-2008, 02:11 PM
KevinJax
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went through the same desicion process before I had my first cab, now I would not want a hard top. I have my top down even when its 40 something degrees and just turn the heat on. When I have the top up, it feels too closed in. I have no regrets in owning a cab. Closest thing next to a motorcycle my wife would let me have......
Old 01-11-2008, 02:17 PM
arr0gant
Drifting

Altogether, I think you've made yourself look like a fool, here.
And I repeat my suggestion that you get some help with your anger issues. Anybody who can get so humourlessly worked up about a product nobody is forcing them to buy is headed for a heart attack.
Oh Brucey!!
Old 01-11-2008, 02:21 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Your facts are wrong (it was the original iMac that turned the business around
I like that you both have a passion for slinging words on the internet + stubborn about it.

I'm no expert, but...

iMac? Macintosh computer/server penetration/growth/share is pretty flat and has been for quite a while now. It is the iPOD that catapaulted them to where they are at today. Yet still their hardware sales are flat.

This is coming from a guy who likes Windows Vista and OSX.
Old 01-11-2008, 02:27 PM
arr0gant
Drifting

Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
I like that you both have a passion for slinging words on the internet + stubborn about it.

It is the iPOD that catapaulted them to where they are at today.
Of course the IPOD is what saved them, no one in their "right mind" would deny this.

Anyway, Brucey seems to take this so seriously. Fact is, we all love a good debate, but calling Mac-owners Zombies is hardly personal name calling. Just my "general" opinion of them. Anyhow, once someone starts spell checking me and thinking I have anger problems, all I can do is laff-out-loud and wonder @ the person behind the other keyboard.

Anyway, I wish him no ill-will, just havin' a good, clean, fun, lively, OFF-TOPIC debate with my boy Bruce!

Quick Reply: Flash or Dash - the Better Porsche