Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

What do girls think about 911s and Range Rovers?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 12:43 PM
DEW
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always get a kick out of the range/land rover commercials where they are doing all sorts of off road stunts. I think I can safely say that roughly 1% of the owners will ever actually do this. I have always wanted one but the appauling quality drove me away. I think Land Rover has done a phenomenal job of marketing their vehicles. They sell adventure. My type of adventure is not whether or not my vehicle will fail while I am offroading.
Old 11-05-2007, 12:44 PM
JJB236
Racer

Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
ah man where do i start?

-get what you want
-chicks dig the rover cuz it hits on their maternal instincts and consciously/subconsciously see themselves driving their kids to school, practice, b-day parties

the rover is an appliance, the 911 is an experience.
ha ha appliance and experience analogy is so right. That's why having both will be so cool.

"Basically, a sports car is a car that has better road holding and performance than a standard two- or four-door passenger car (to say nothing of an SUV or pickup truck), thanks to a lower center of gravity, a more tightly tuned suspension and steering system, a performance-oriented transmission, finer aerodynamics, high-performance tires and a better power-to-weight ratio. This is why a sports car is plain fun to drive. A splendid Lexus or a limber Range Rover can be immensely satisfying, but a real sports car pastes a permanent smile on your face."
Old 11-05-2007, 12:56 PM
nosub
Instructor

Originally Posted by DEW
I always get a kick out of the range/land rover commercials where they are doing all sorts of off road stunts. I think I can safely say that roughly 1% of the owners will ever actually do this. I have always wanted one but the appauling quality drove me away. I think Land Rover has done a phenomenal job of marketing their vehicles. They sell adventure. My type of adventure is not whether or not my vehicle will fail while I am offroading.

Quality may have been the case in the past though from what I have heard and my own experience it is not much of an issue. At least since 2005. We are on our second 2005 LR3 (first one totalled by our son a few weeks back, got worse, rear ended an '07 Mercedes G-Wagon which was also totalled! Double YIKES!). The only issue we have had was (besides software updates; 2) was a broken gas cap door broke. It has been an excellent vehicle and we consistently have gotten 19-21 MPG on the highway to boot.
Old 11-05-2007, 01:00 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by BoulderNick
D*mn, as a short, bald, somewhat funny-looking guy I guess I should be driving a hummer

Personally, when you're just on the shy side of 50 as I am you find you long ago ceased caring with the ladies think, especially the 20-30 year olds. Besides, my wifes likes the Porsche and hates SUV's

OK, OK, so I guess I care what ONE lady thinks in particular.

- Nick
NIck - I have a good slogan for Hummer. "Drive a Hummer, and get one!"
Old 11-05-2007, 01:04 PM
BoulderNick
Three Wheelin'

Location: Boulder, CO : 12 Square miles surrounded by reality.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DEW
Personally, I think my 2000 4 Wheel Drive Toyota Tacoma is as good an, if not better, off-road vehicle than a most luxo-SUVs, and that includes LR's. And all kidding about Hummers aside, they make lousy off-road vehicles on most of the trails around here.. too d*mn wide to fit on many of the mountain tracks.

- Nick
Old 11-05-2007, 01:08 PM
JJB236
Racer

Originally Posted by vwrado
Why do you need girls opinion for you to pick your car?
Good valid question.
1) I have already asked my guy friends, and of course most prefer the P cars. Married guys went for the Rover.
2) Because I am too greedy for both cars and can't decide on either
3) I'm 6'2" and feels the overall P car is small for me even though the interior fits me nicely, but the brand name/quality/engine sound/status symbol keeps me attracted
4) I don't think anyone's opinion (girls or guys) will change my decision in the end, but the topic sorta came up since the girls knew I was shopping for a new car.
5) I am still single and in 30's. One night during my trip to SF when I went to a club Vessel, I got curious about what other people thought about our P cars and R/R. Image is important. I live in L.A.

Heck, in the end, I might just get a new 997 S, and pick up the R/R after I am married, since I would need an "appliance car" as Benjamin Choi put it. 997 drivers in L.A. appear to be much younger than those in SL 550. I think it's because SL550 has softer ride. And I would probably want to stick it out with the P cars as long as I can handle its raw power & handling. I'll save SL550, CL500, Jag XK for my later years.
Old 11-05-2007, 01:09 PM
BoulderNick
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by gota911
NIck - I have a good slogan for Hummer. "Drive a Hummer, and get one!"
I'm sure the nickname probably sold more H2's to old guys in the vain hope that was actually true than any amount of advertising.

Whenever anyone appropriate asks, I tell them "Carrera" is actually spanish for "good roll in the sack," but so far that doesn't seem to have helped.

- Nick
Old 11-05-2007, 01:13 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by hwk72
Man this picture is unbelievable! I'd have my pants full with only the front wheels in the water! Did you get wet inside the car?

My off-road experience for this year was getting stuck with my X3 on the beach in NC - that was already painful enough for me.
I don't see a snorkel, there is no way that Discovery made it through.

I have two 911s and a Range Rover. The Range Rover is only used on weekend as the family truckster, driving baby and Costco runs.

The Range Rover is an amazing off road machine, even with standard tires I was able to go through just about everything but the mud pit....

The new MkIII does have updated body and headlights, but I was told is with unibody frame, thus not as strong as the old P38. In any case I am quit happy with my P38, it does however have annoying little issues, but after I replaced every part on the EAS system it works great now. Total cost of the repair were only $750, since I did the work myself and bought parts from ebay.

Oh yeah, almost forgot to mention. All my neighbors especially the wives love the Range Rover, and are always jealous that we have one. For some reason my wife can care less, loves driving her BMW 3 series.

Old 11-05-2007, 01:15 PM
4-large
Racer

I had the 06 sport SS and it was not much for the fun factor IMHO hence the change to the 02 , my wife has the 06 LR3
the LR3 is very nice to drive, good power, Not much less than the SS.
My sport SS had a leak in the air bag, and settled lower on the passenger side over night, and was leaning every morning. As soon as I started up and during driving times the compressor would keep it level, while the car was on.
My problem with this was the dealer could not find were the leak was coming from. They replaced that side? He said there are two many valves? so if I was not under warranty, that would of cost a pretty penny
Old 11-05-2007, 01:16 PM
JJB236
Racer

Originally Posted by BoulderNick
"Carrera" is actually spanish for "good roll in the sack," but so far that doesn't seem to have helped.

- Nick
I always wondered what it meant. Hey, wait. It's got multiple meanings... 1. Race 2. Racetrack 3. King's highway, etc, but no good roll in the sack.

When Porsche gave 911 the name Carrera, what definition did they have in mind, anyone?
Old 11-05-2007, 01:16 PM
Rob in WA
Cap'n Insane the Engorged
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Get both

Seriously if you don't need it to tow or haul stuff, why get an SUV?

The P-car is my "green" car. Gets better mileage is more fun, etc. etc. The Rover is great for towing boats and getting to the trailhead.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:01 PM
apterr
Racer

Nick,
Great PICs. nice looking cab
Andy T
Old 11-05-2007, 02:18 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sorry dudes with the old school rovers, but that's a diff quality level and "bling" level than the current bodies. the issue as i had stated before with these appliances is that you always have to have the latest and greatest whereas with the 911, because it is timeless, people recognize regarldess of the model year to a certain extent.

the rover JJB and I care about are the new bodies, esp the supercharged ones that you see in newport beach, etc in droves. the ones you see in DIME, DUB, mTV rap videos, etc riding on 24s. i mean this is my generation of what "bling" is about and in my generation we never use the word "bling". it's usually the older guys who think they know the lingo that use it when in fact they are clueless.

sure i sound like i come off as an opinionated **** with this post, but that's the reality fellas for the author of this thread. my female friends in their 20s dig the new rovers because they want to someday be a milf riding on 24s (which is comedy).
Old 11-05-2007, 02:19 PM
BoulderNick
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by apterr
Nick,
Great PICs. nice looking cab
Andy T
Thanks, guess we're both partial to blue. Checked out your web pages -- nice pics of Letchworth -- I was there many years ago - my wife and both graduated from Cornell in '81.

Upstate NY is a beautiful area, especially this time of year.

- Nick
Old 11-05-2007, 02:28 PM
Rob in WA
Cap'n Insane the Engorged
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
sorry dudes with the old school rovers, but that's a diff quality level and "bling" level than the current bodies. the issue as i had stated before with these appliances is that you always have to have the latest and greatest whereas with the 911, because it is timeless, people recognize regarldess of the model year to a certain extent.......
Um, you do know that the classic Rover was the only vehicle ever to be displayed at the Louvre as a work of modern art right?

The new Rovers are just Fords

I always laugh when I see anything over 18" wheels on an SUV, it completely negates the purpose.

Quick Reply: What do girls think about 911s and Range Rovers?