Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

What do girls think about 911s and Range Rovers?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 09:21 PM
Rob in WA
Cap'n Insane the Engorged
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

NOOOOOOoooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-12-2007, 12:25 AM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by JJB236
Out of about 100 customer reviews on Range Rovers and other LR model, about 1/3 said they had numerous visits to the dealers and some have returned their cars to the manufacturers on lemon laws. Forbes listed all Land Rover models as one of the ten least reliable cars.

Yet, I see loyal and repeat LR models. What gives? Is the reliability issue with British cars true or are they trying to make it exclusive for those who have time, patience, and extra money for frequent visits to the dealers?

Cheers
Here's the 411 on Land Rover's rep:

1. Pre-BMW, reliability was atrocious, especially where electrics were concerned. The reputation hasn't caught up with improved trucks.

2. Many dealers are bandits, even for car dealers. Rovers leak. My Disco has had a seeping head gasket for five years. My dealer says, "No worries. There's eight litres of oil in there. If you see coolant, you've got a problem." But many dealers would relieve you of $2,000 for new ones. And that's just one seal. People who are used to driving modern cars freak out at a spot on the driveway, and dealers take advantage. But that Rover engine was designed by Oldsmobile circa 1964 ...

This fact alone creates the impression that these trucks are constantly at the dealers', constantly needing expensive attention. I bet a huge percentage of that perception has its roots in abuse by dealers.

3. You have GOT to maintain them religiously. If things need fixing, they tend to stay fixed, but you can't let stuff go. But it's amazing how reliable they are if you just follow the sched. Do this, and they will never strand you.

But, get service records for any you think you might want to buy. You'll know instantly if it was one of the infamous Monday trucks.

4. The RRs and heavily optioned Discos with SLS and ACE had particular problems with those features. Avoid them on Discos, accept it on the RR if you want one badly enough. I love that P38A, but this fact alone keeps me out of one.

On the other hand...

The Disco is the only vehicle I've ever owned on which a woman left a note on the windshield. (My fiancee/now-wife called her back. Funny story).

On the rare occasions it's clean, it still gets parked in the front row by valets.

It's one tough truck. Solid axles, three diffs and a two speed transfer case. Like a Jag bolted on top of a tractor. I've pulled more so-called SUVs out of ditches up by my country place than I can count. It's the real deal, if that matters to you.

It has an authentic personality. Not a numb poser minivan in disguise like so many SUVs. If you 'get' Porsches, you might just 'get' Land Rovers.

Bottom line: If you really want one, there's little to be afraid of if you shop with some care and find a fair, competent mechanic .
Old 11-12-2007, 07:32 AM
Franklin229
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 57 Posts

I owned a Defender and can tell you that heritage and looks aside, it was a rolling turd, even in '97. We're talking, rusting bolts on the body work, window cranks falling off, leaking fluids everywhere and inoperable heater controls-all within the first year of ownership. Most pre BMW products were very off-road capable, provided you take an enitre spare parts trailor in tow. Needless to say I sold tyhe beast a year 1/2 later to some sucker who paid me 8K more than I did new.

So after figuring time heals all wounds, I bought an LR3. It's been absolutley trouble free. The fact that Ford owns them actually encouraged me to buy. There's areason why you still see a lot of f-series pickups on the road by the way. For others confusing Land/Range Rovers with other SUV's out there-the one thing to remember is that they are built on a frame AND have unibody contruction. Very different from all the "cross-overs" out there. This makes a huge difference in off road capabilites (and yes-I thrash mine around shamelessly), towing and ride quality. Just my 2 cents-
Old 11-12-2007, 09:42 AM
Matkap
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
and it's clear as day in this thread that you resorted to coward levels by calling a rennlist member's friends prostitutes - real witty aint it fellas? totally uncalled for.
Originally Posted by triode
Ben, if I recall correctly, you called a fellow member's wife a "transvestite" here. What goes around comes around.
You keep playing the "called my friends prostitutes" card but I did not see your reply for this post. Maybe I missed it.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:28 AM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

If all you care about is women...

I asked a 40 year old woman this same question. What do you think about:

Corvette: "Mid-life crisis"
Porsche: "Too much money"
Jaguar: "Oooooooohhhhh..."

I thought she was going to have an orgasm right there and then. Women do like Jaguars...

HTH,

Michael
Old 11-13-2007, 12:23 PM
Rob in WA
Cap'n Insane the Engorged
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess they don't call 'em Shaguars for nothing.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:24 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can't believe that the marketing engine has the US consumer lined up for these Jags.

In the UK they are 'old lady' cars - but hey, that's marketing for you!
Old 11-13-2007, 10:22 PM
996c4s_dallas
Cruisin'

This thread went off into a tangent!

I drive what I want to drive. I don't need any approval.

Its the bomb!
Old 11-15-2007, 11:11 AM
Nine9Sixer
Pro

Originally Posted by riad
At least he didn't say oriental.
sorry to revive a horrible thread, but that is HILarious! well done.
Old 11-15-2007, 12:56 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Obviously a very secure man with a hell ova lot of "game" owns that car.

Originally Posted by 996c4s_dallas
This thread went off into a tangent!

I drive what I want to drive. I don't need any approval.

Its the bomb!
Old 11-15-2007, 06:17 PM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by cdodkin
Can't believe that the marketing engine has the US consumer lined up for these Jags.

In the UK they are 'old lady' cars - but hey, that's marketing for you!
There's nothing you can say to get me to believe that the XKR is an "old lady" car.

The others? You could be right.
Old 11-16-2007, 01:39 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tooloud10
There's nothing you can say to get me to believe that the XKR is an "old lady" car.

You ever seen Monty Python?

There's some very strange 'old ladies' in the UK for sure, and not all of them are female....
Old 11-16-2007, 01:59 PM
gregorycarl
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tooloud10

Did you ever see Top Gear. They say it is an "Old Man's Car", so not an old ladies car. But in England they think they are a bit frumpy. They have a different rep here in the states. I believe Mercedes gets the "Old-Mans" wrap also.

I like the look of the XKR, just wouldn't buy one.
Old 11-16-2007, 05:44 PM
michael.s.under
Three Wheelin'

FYI
Attached Images  
Old 11-16-2007, 09:31 PM
TheSpeedDemon
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by michael.s.under
FYI

unbelieavable this thread still even exists...what a waste of space on a great forum

Quick Reply: What do girls think about 911s and Range Rovers?