996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Burnt 996 Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 03:43 AM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

Here is a picture that shows the main dash support and wiring. I painted the support because apparently in 99, Porsche put no protective coating on the dash support. I'll sleep better knowing that mine isn't covered with corrosion...did I mention that I'm ****?
The dead spots on the grass are from engine cleaner (Gunk) that I used on my exhaust system prior to reinstalling it. They are in the shape of mufflers and headers. Oops!
Attached Images  
Old 11-19-2007, 05:49 AM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought the dead grass spots were miniature crop circles. Keep up the good work.

Originally Posted by Mfletch
Here is a picture that shows the main dash support and wiring. I painted the support because apparently in 99, Porsche put no protective coating on the dash support. I'll sleep better knowing that mine isn't covered with corrosion...did I mention that I'm ****?
The dead spots on the grass are from engine cleaner (Gunk) that I used on my exhaust system prior to reinstalling it. They are in the shape of mufflers and headers. Oops!
Old 11-20-2007, 01:43 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mark: Did you sell the Vesuvio? When we last talked you indicated a Rennlister was going to buy it....did the sale go through? If so, you need to change your signature block.
Old 11-20-2007, 02:00 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck Jones
Mark: Did you sell the Vesuvio? When we last talked you indicated a Rennlister was going to buy it....did the sale go through? If so, you need to change your signature block.
Uhmm Chuck...... ditto for you since you sold the crispy critter!

I know, I know, this is why you think I'm a ********!
Old 11-20-2007, 11:00 AM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

Mark, this looks insane!...beautifull!! keep up the good work!

Old 11-21-2007, 01:09 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tim: I see you're starting to answer to your name. Who says you can't teach an old dog a new name....er....something like that anyway.

I went up to visit Mark the day he took that picture of the wiring spread out on the lawn. I can see now why AAA insurance decided to total the car....I am sure that Mark knows what he's doing...sort of....but that project looks like Mission Impossible to me. This is automotive neurosurgery at its most complex. This last picture is what Mark envisions the Iris Blue car will look like after he finishes it up. He already bought the aero kit.......but let's see....the blue wire hooks up to the grey and white one, and the black one goes to the orange box, and the purple one goes.....................
Old 12-04-2007, 09:33 PM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

I haven't posted any update on my project car for a while. I just finished removing one of the last burnt items from behind the dash. The heater/AC unit took the brunt of the heat. I was surprised to find that the sound pad on the firewall was barely scorched....I expected to find more damage.
I need to remove the seats & carpet. Then I can do the last clean-up work, touch up some paint behind the dash, and start putting the new parts back on. There is almost a light at the end of the tunnel. Better a light than a fire I suppose....
Attached Images      
Old 12-04-2007, 09:37 PM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

It was the Porsche that peed on the garage floor....not me.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:42 PM
gota911
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Mfletch
It was the Porsche that peed on the garage floor....not me.

BTW - nice progress. Thanks for the update.
Old 12-04-2007, 11:49 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

Holy Smokes! keep up the good work Mark!
Old 12-05-2007, 12:15 AM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Thanks Tim. Redridge, thanks for the motivation...I have your car with the polished turbo twist wheels as my screen saver right now. If mine looks half as good as yours when I'm done, I'll be happy. I enjoy your 996 picture post over on 6speed. I will need a new clutch soon after I get the car finished. I'm excited about upgrading to the LWFW. Most of the feedback looks pretty positive.
Old 12-05-2007, 10:32 AM
JonesnSince78
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking good! Glad to see the fire extinguisher at the ready!!
Old 12-05-2007, 12:45 PM
gregorycarl
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Good Lord! What a project. I looked back in the posts and can't find the story behind this car. Was this your car or a salvaged title situation...price paid if you are comfortable sharing.

I have to hand it to you, wiring is not something I feel comfortable messing with...I'm getting a headache just thinking about it.
Old 12-05-2007, 01:17 PM
gota911
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by gregorycarl
Good Lord! What a project. I looked back in the posts and can't find the story behind this car. Was this your car or a salvaged title situation...price paid if you are comfortable sharing.

I have to hand it to you, wiring is not something I feel comfortable messing with...I'm getting a headache just thinking about it.
Greg, that was Chuck Jones' car and it caught on fire one day while he was driving it. Chuck then got a TT with X-50.

Chuck and Mark met a while back when Mark was rebuilding a '99 which also had a fire (back end that time) which Mark recently sold. Chuck sold the car to Mark. By the time Mark finishes with this one he will have rebuilt virtually an entire 996 (1st car rear half, 2nd car front half).

Last edited by gota911; 12-05-2007 at 06:35 PM.
Old 12-05-2007, 01:41 PM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Gregory, I paid $11,900 for the car. It has 32,000 miles and no paint or body damage. I bought all the parts needed to fix it from SilverStar Recycling for $1,000. I transferred my mods from my other car. I sold the mufflers and headers off it for $400. I'm into it for a total of $12,500. (not counting the oem MK1 aerokit that I bought for $1,600...plus shipping) I get a headache thinking about it also.
Jonesn, good spot on the fire extinguisher.

Quick Reply: Burnt 996 Rebuild