996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Burnt 996 Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 06:50 PM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

Is there hope??? Here it is after a little work with the shop vac and a couple more parts removed. Does anybody know what the large plastic box was that sits behind the stereo/climate control and against the firewall? It appears to be the cabin filter/blower motor to the right side of the dash. The center area is too melted to even guess.
Attached Images    
Old 10-30-2007, 09:02 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Mfletch
Is there hope??? Here it is after a little work with the shop vac and a couple more parts removed. Does anybody know what the large plastic box was that sits behind the stereo/climate control and against the firewall? It appears to be the cabin filter/blower motor to the right side of the dash. The center area is too melted to even guess.
Mark - I think that black box is where Chuck kept his illegally "burned" CD's.

Sorry, I don't know what that is.... or rather what that was.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:17 PM
Loren
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The large black box on the right side of the center console is the HVAC.
There should be a small square box at the exact center rear of the center console (mounted at carpet level) - that is the airbag control box.
Old 10-31-2007, 01:42 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know Mark....You say this job isn't as bad as the last one you did? Those picrures look like a pot of badly burned spagetti....how you make heads or tales out of that mess is beyond me...

Why does some of the dash look like it's all rusted?
Old 10-31-2007, 03:01 AM
Duane993
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mark,
You are brave man. When you're finish, if you're not crazy by then, list all the parts and total cost to repair. As long as everyone is piling on with CD suggestions, how about Disco Inferno.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:08 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck Jones
I don't know Mark....You say this job isn't as bad as the last one you did? Those picrures look like a pot of badly burned spagetti....how you make heads or tales out of that mess is beyond me...

Chuck - Mark mentioned that in one of his earlier posts (see below). Seems strange that Porsche opted not to protect that support member from the elements. Even a quick spray of black paint would have reduced the effects of moisture and air.

Originally Posted by Mfletch

I finally got serious and yanked the dash out of my crispy critter...what a mess! What did I get myself into???Now the fun part starts. I'm not sure why Porsche elected to not put any type of corrosion protection on the support for the Dash. I will definately rectify that problem along the way. I can't believe how much @%#& is lurking behind that dashboard......
Old 10-31-2007, 11:57 AM
Loren
Drifting

Originally Posted by Chuck Jones

I suspect the rust is from the dry chemical fire extinguisher. They are horribly corrosive.
Halon is the way to go if you have to use one.
Old 10-31-2007, 12:26 PM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Loren, the box that I was referring to is the melted mess against the firewall about 18 inched behind the airbag control unit. I'm guessing from looking at my other car, it is more of the climate control system. Duane, "Disco Inferno" was a good one! I found all the parts I need for $1,000. provided they aren't sold by the time I sell one of my other cars to finance the rebuild.
Loren, I agree that Halon is the only way to go. The corrosion appears to have been there before the fire....it is spread evenly across the support, in areas where the fire and dry chemical did not go. The header panel under the windshield (on the inside) is painted body color. I will prime the header panel & dash support (after cleaning) and paint them Iris Blue.
Old 11-01-2007, 01:15 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Loren: Are you saying that the dry fire extinguisher caused the rusted condition behind that dash? Could this have been the result of something that happened before I bought the car? I just can't imagine that much rust coming from a dry powder extinguisher. The CarFax came back clear on this car so it wasnt' a flood victim....very strange....and a bit disturbing. Could the rust and oxidation possibly have been the cause of the short that caused the fire? Everything under that dash was factory.
Old 11-01-2007, 11:48 AM
Loren
Drifting

Well, the chassis is completely painted at the factory so that part of the dash had paint at one time.

I suspect that the heat from the fire melted the paint off and between the oxidation from the fire and the chemical extinguisher what you are left with is rusted (bare) metal.

Last edited by Loren; 07-23-2013 at 07:57 PM.
Old 11-01-2007, 02:33 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Since that is where the fire was most intense, that does make sense....burned off the protective paint, and oxidized.

I had to chuckle to myself just now as we're discussing the rust, kuz when the car was burning and the fire department rolled up behind me as I was standing on the grass watching, one of the guys started unrolling a hose.....and I walked up to him and said ....."OH C'MON MAN, please don't use water on it". By then, the CHP officer who called it in had already blasted it two times with the chemical extinguisher and it was just smoldering. The guy put down the hose reel and walked over and knelt down and looked under the dash and agreed that it didnt' need any more "suppressant".

Can you imagine what a shot of water would have done to that car?

It's still curious that it's just that particular area all the way across that's rusted.
Old 11-01-2007, 06:28 PM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

The far right side of the support has a coating of oxidation that is identical to the center and the far left side. The far right and left sides were not exposed to heat from the fire and they had very little exposure to the dry chemical. It would appear that this car left the factory with no protective coating on the dash support.
Old 11-04-2007, 01:31 AM
joes c4 cab
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts

Is the motor still usable? did you have to remove it or did you just want to get it out to paint in there?
Old 11-04-2007, 03:23 AM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Joe, if you are referring to the heater blower motor, it apears usable. I'm purchasing everything behind the dash on the donor car, so I might have couple extra parts. I want everything out of the dash area so I can paint where appropriate, and restore the factory padding/insulation.
I should be picking up the donor parts on Tuesday. I'm excited.
It is very tempting to remove a lot of extra weight while I have the interior apart...air bag assemblies, center console, carpet & padding, sound system, etc. I plan on tracking the car and I know that reducing weight will add to the benefit of the mods installed: B&M ssk, RSS plenum, EVO CAI, Billy Boat headers & Mufflers, GIAC Flash, PSS9 suspension, 295 rear tires, etc. I also know that I will need a new clutch and a upgraded clutch combined with a LWFW is also very tempting. I need to draw a line so the car will remain comfortable on the street and still be a fun weekend track toy.
A MK1 aerokit and EVO SC would certainly be icing on the cake......
Old 11-19-2007, 03:34 AM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Hi Guys...just an update on the progress of my iris blue 996 project car. I now have all the parts to complete my project. Here are some pictures of the donor dash and wiring harness, heater core, etc.
I also just got a great deal from a fellow rennlister on a OEM taco tail ($800)He was great to deal with.. I found an oem mk1 front bumper on ebay for $840. I am now into the iris blue 996 for about $13,200. I will still need to buy the side skirts (used OEM) and have the aerokit painted.
I have already installed the mods from my "Sold" vesuvio 996 to the iris blue 996. The car now has an EVO CAI, RSS Plenum, Billy Boat headers & Mufflers, GIAC Flash, B&M SSK, Bilstein PSS9s, GT3 center console delete, OEM polished turbo twists with painted emblems on polished metal caps. I will eventually install an aftermarket stereo, roll bar, aluminum pedals, and a upgraded clutch with a LWFW.
I can't wait to drive my new toy. I have some serious work left to do on the dash. As you can see. Hopefully it will look like the final picture someday...in my dreams, it already does.
Attached Images      

Quick Reply: Burnt 996 Rebuild