Sponsored by:

Looking to BUY. Getting closer.Need ADVICE. 3 C4S to compare

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 10:42 PM
blk on blk
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by PJorgen

Why was the engine replaced on car #1? That could be a deal breaker if it was replaced due to abuse.

I would disagree. Not to totally change the subject on this, but there are lots of Porsche engine replacements that nothing to do with abuse. I had my engine replaced at 5,000 miles with never even coming close to redlining the thing or driving it very hard though it is a daily driver. The fact is that there are lots of engine on the 996 that have been replaced for one reason or another, and I would venture to say that very few of these have anything to do with owner abuse. This is the reason I too would highly recommend the car with the most warranty. Seems that engine troubles surface in many cars ranging from brand new like mine to 20-30k mile cars that have been properly cared for.
Old 01-05-2007, 12:37 AM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
what in the world kind of thinking is that? I have NEVER looked at my odometer thinking....DAMN, I better stop driving and adding miles. That is some of the stupiest logic I have ever heard. While he is at it, he might as well find a way to make time stand still so the car doesn't age either.
iron out those diapers old man

you may have never but many others out there looking for a car put the # of miles as one of the top considerations for place a $ value on the car.

the author has already clearly stated his concerns about adding mileage on a 50K+ miles sports car and not just any sports car, but a porsche 911. being a small, impractical sports car, there are going to a good number more examples of low mileage, mint conditioned 911s than say your Subaru STIs of the world.

if the author can wait and be patient to look for a lower mileage '02-XX 996 C4S w/ CPO that's the one to go for v. listing 3 and forcing himself to buy out of the 3 right now, today.

otherwise, my bet is that he's going to feel like he's settling and that's not cool esp when you're spending tens upon tens of Gs on a luxury item that depreciates quickly (and even quicker the more miles you put on it).
Old 01-05-2007, 08:15 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

You have missed the point entirely....once again. No wonder you **** everybody off in this forum. Do you have any idea what the OP is "really" looking for? Actually, I do. Do you know how much contact the OP and I have had outside of this forum? Let me answer that for you. That would be no. The OP actually happens to be a friend of mine OUTSIDE of this place and I do knwo what he wants. So when he posts 2 cars that he is interested in or 3 or whatever it may be, take a second to look at the 2 cars in question and then use your head. Obviously you didn't and instead chose, once again, to neglect to use your frontal lobe.

If you were looking at 2 cars, both wich are 4-5 years old and one has 50K miles on it and the other has 35K miles on it, how in the world can you tell which one is in better condition by that? The one with 50K miles could EASILY be in better condition than that and with the CPO, makes that one not only the better car, but the smarter buy.

I don't think you realize how assine your comment was assuming what he would think about a car that had 50K miles on it. Remember? You said he wouldn't even want to drive it thinking about all the miles he's racking up. We have put 65K on our 996CAB and don't EVER EVER EVER think about not driving it becasue of the miles we may put on it. And to tell the OP that he should save up a bit more for an exampe that is less miles AND has CPO is just even worse advice. If you really wanted to give smart advice to the OP then instead of asking him to exceed the budget he has set forth since it is clear that to get the year and MODEL he clearly wants and will have to take one with ABSURB miles as you interpret it, then he needs to think about getting a less expensive model (ie, a C2 coupe) than the C4S he has his eyes on.

and by the way Choi, I don't iron my diapers, I have them pressed at the dry cleaners. Besides, I don't think you really know how old I am so your comment is just hilarious to me to think you have struck a nerve with age. But then again you are the one concerned about age and miles, etc.. Clearly somebody that will never be happy in life.

One more USER off to the ignore list. Thank God the site has that feature to save us from trolls like yourself.
Old 01-05-2007, 09:45 AM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil G.
<snip>my '04 with 1900 miles, in a rare color, and very well optioned is overpriced? I don't get it.
Here's what I don't get - and I think I've asked this before and never got an answer: why does this car have no miles on it? Did you break your foot? Have you been ill? You do realize that to properly enjoy the car, you must actually drive it, not just sit in it, in the garage making "brrrrrrrrrrrppppp" noises as you play with your gearshift?

I think your car is worth exactly what someone will pay for it. You can put it for sale for any price that you want, that's totally irrelevant. It's what it will sell for that counts. When I was car shopping in August, the dealer had a car that he said was worth 62 and I said was worth 58. He still has the car (now priced at 60) and I bought something else. Obviously, no one thinks that car is worth 62. Or 60. He will end up selling it for less than 58, and after many months of paying for it in inventory.

Michael
Old 01-05-2007, 06:23 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LVDell, thx for enhancing the rennlist experience with your addict status of 8K posts

if he's a friend outside the forum and if you guys have exchanged e-mails with each other about this very subject, then why does he feel the need to ask the larger group?

how has my advice hurt him or any potential readers of this thread in any way that it merits such a personal/harsh/vitriolic response? as perhaps another way of looking at it, a little bit outside the box?

lighten up, man. all i've said in this case is perhaps be patient for a lower mileage car with CPO. now if you're pointing a gun to your friend's head, well we wouldn't really know about that as that's your own business... and almost sounds like given your frustration to the brink of anger at a stranger on the internet... may well be the sad reality for you and esp your buddy.

at ease old fella

Quick Reply: Looking to BUY. Getting closer.Need ADVICE. 3 C4S to compare