Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Cleaned out the garage today! Tons of 996 stuff for sale!

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 01:22 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I think it's time to call Jules Winnfield and Vincent Vega
Old 10-12-2006, 01:27 PM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Crap, this Joe character's scam history goes way back to '01. According to that TurboBuick thread, he apparently also runs a shady Caddy mechanic shop in Chicago? What a scum.

I hope he makes good for you guys who paid in advance.
Old 10-12-2006, 01:30 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Hate to say it again but buying something and placing trust in somebody that has been on the board for ONLY a single month is just not something that is going to work out in the end. Like I said, ANYBODY can pony up the $18 to get a several thousand dollar return on their investment. Those of you that got scammed you need to contact John D. (runs this site) as well as the local and federal authorities. Don't forget, John will have his payment info, address, IP address, etc., etc, etc.

Then if you want to get medievil on his @ss, go right ahead. He has that coming to him. Christ, look at his avitar. It is if he is mocking you.

I would also suggest to John D. when you contact him if there is ANYWAY POSSIBLE to restrict for sale postings to not just paying members but only after a certain number of posts and time on the board.

Hope this has been a lesson learned for ALL, even those that did NOT buy (err, I mean send money) to this character.
Old 10-12-2006, 01:34 PM
SANDOVAL
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Damn... I just put in a Paypal Dispute. I hope this is not the case I did get a UPS notification and empty promises of shipment. He got me for a $1050
Old 10-12-2006, 01:58 PM
K996
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 54 Posts

Yep, the fact that the guy had only been a member for one month was my first warning sign. Then he has an entire 996 engine just laying around but throws out "...thanks to pat for driving out here and picking it up..." within one day of posting it for sale.

Talked to him on the phone and was told he had "full power sport seats with lumbar fully adjustable" but the photos he sent me were just standard sport seats seat with manual slider and no lumbar button visible. This was even though the photos were cropped in a way to try and obscure the controls and front slider bar.

Sounded way to fishy and Dell looked at the photos and confirmed they were not as represented.

I've seen this same thing play out exactly the same on some of the shooting forums I frequent which have equipment sales areas. Same pattern, new guy, not many posts, strange occurences (i.e., drove to Chicago-NY and had all kinds of car problems?!?), poor communication, conflicting/wrong info, takes money and strings you along for a while then leaves.

Luckily I went with my instincts on this one but somebody needs to take this guy to the cleaners.

From the Buick forums it looks like he's been doing this **** for YEARS! There are posts about him from at least 2001. Amazing.

FYI. if you paid with US Postal Service money order you can report him for mail fraud and get the postal inspectors involved....doesn't look like 'the authorities' have done much good in the past though.
Old 10-12-2006, 02:29 PM
dimnslow
Advanced

Sheesh... you just made me decide to only buy parts from local people. Honestly though if the guy is 17 like the other board said I doubt his avator is really his real picture. I almost bought a CDR deck from him. The only thing that drove me away was he insisted on $500 and cash up front.

On another note, what if a couple of you guys just start throwing bricks through his window?

I bet you can get his parents/grandparents liable since they were accessory to the fraud.
Old 10-12-2006, 02:37 PM
SANDOVAL
Three Wheelin'

17 in 2001. I have opened a dispute with Paypal. Filed a complaint with The FBI (Followed the link) and Called the Chicago PD I have an open case number. They said everyone has to open their own case number/complaint. I also left my brother a VM he is director with the FBI in DC. Hopefully he can help me out.

His number (773) 931-1427 is a T-MOBILE USA, INC. number according to a reverse look up.
Old 10-12-2006, 02:53 PM
quest76
Track Day

Sorry
Originally Posted by racer08
quest you beat me to it as I was typing up my long post.
Old 10-12-2006, 03:07 PM
SANDOVAL
Three Wheelin'

I called paypal and they could not give me much information due to privacy reasons. The agent did say that the FBI Internet Fraud division does follow up on cases. He said to make sure you share report ID's with them.

Here are my complaint ID's Iurge those who have paid "Joe" to file a complaint using the provided information for the FBI and Chicago PD:

FBI: Complaint Id: I0610121313242102 Chicago PD Case Number: HM655632
Old 10-12-2006, 03:54 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

He is probably also using Ebay. Try searching for similar items on there and see if the contact info seems similar in location but don't contact him from your previous email ore one he might remember from Rennlist. Report the auction to the authorities (don't bother with Ebay waste of time).

I once worked at a place where there was major security breach and the FBI ran a sting operation where they communicated with the suspect via the internet posing as a possible buyer of 'intelectual property'. They arrested the guy after negoitating a multi million dollar sale online. I suspected the guy of being the culprit and nearly handed him a memo from the higher ups to the authorities stating that there had been a security breach. Had he asked to see the letter he would have been onto the fact that his cover was blown and ceased his negotiations. He's now in the can. The FBI love doing that kind of stuff.
Old 10-12-2006, 05:07 PM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 33 Posts

OK 8 years of internet trading and it finally happened to me. Oh well I did pay him with Paypal through my Amex card so right now I am going to get them started. I will get in touch with everyone you listed also as time permits and see how uncomfortable we can make this for him. Everyone in this boat should PM e-mail addresses so we can send stuff out to each other as it happens. I'm in for a fish fry.

Thanks for the research!
Old 10-12-2006, 05:10 PM
signal
Racer

whats wierd is he didn't try to double sell stuff, you know to double his profits. he replied back to me with several items and said "already sold" or whatever.

I got scammed a few years ago (4 or 5) and the FBI did followup and actually sent someone to the persons house that ripped me off. I doubt they are that efficient today with all the 9/11 and terrorist stuff that has happened.

Best of luck to all of you.

Brian
Old 10-12-2006, 05:28 PM
Zedmau5
Instructor

somebody should drive to his sketchy shop in chicago and slap this guy around, if i got screwed that bad id be pissed.
Old 10-12-2006, 05:28 PM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 33 Posts

Just got off the phone with his grandfather who is the Constantine. Nice old man who acts like he does not understand? Joe does not live with him but in the same building so the address seems real. I just reversed the charges on my Amex card so I am out for now?? Paypal is my next call.
Old 10-12-2006, 05:30 PM
SANDOVAL
Three Wheelin'

Check out the Buick board we have a friend on the other board willing to lend a hand! (He is a Chicago Police officer) He contacted me and said that he has dealt with this clown before. I gave him the information I had. He has even spoken to the guys parents. Unbelievable!!!

Quick Reply: Cleaned out the garage today! Tons of 996 stuff for sale!